• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scoring Men's Oscar Attire

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote (Fashionslave @ Feb. 28 2005,07:31)
I think Jamie Foxx is awesome at acting,not dressingWhat's up with that slim shawl collar gettup,and topping it off with an overly bulky ,fat ass knotted tie.At least wear a slim tie if your jacket has slim lapels.  

I actually sort of liked his (Foxx's) tux and the juxtaposition of the slim shawl lapel.  The shawl collar on tuxes is becoming more and more my favorite (although, on the young, for slim guys only), because of the ubiquity of the peaked lapel on *everything*, and I mean *everything*.  I realize that it is a good look for most body types; but it is becoming the sartorial equivalent of the so-called hipster uniform of jeans worn with hoodie and blazer - a good look that just became monotonous because everyone and their dog started doing it.  And I liked the way the thick tie juxtaposed against the slim lapels.  Unconventional, and pretty cool - the knot *was* too big though.

Edit: Sorry, you know I meant peaked *lapel*

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Ubiquity of the peaked collar [sic] on everything...." Hunh? I must have seen ten of the damned notched lapels for every classic, traditional and correct peaked lapel. The invasion of the business-suit-inspired notch collar of the realm of men's semi-formal wear is a dismal phenomenon. "Invasion," did I say? Perhaps "conquest" is the better word. I was in the new, very upscale Ralph Lauren store at South Coast Plaza the other day, and every dinner jacket I saw had the vile notched lapel. Given how Mr. Lauren tries to create a sort of preppy, patrician, quasi-"English" ambiance, you'd think he would know better and that his target clientele at a pricey "Purple Label"-oriented store would demand better.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must have seen ten of the damned notched lapels for every classic, traditional and correct peaked lapel. The invasion of the business-suit-inspired notch collar of the realm of men's semi-formal wear is a dismal phenomenon.
I agree. Â I am not a fan of the notched lapel either; but peaked lapels and ticket pockets on jackets from Triple Five Soul jackets to Banana Republic on up is starting to grate my nerves. (FYI, I had a peaked lapel Emporio Armani suit from the 1998-1999 season, so I have nothing against peaked lapels per se.) Please Note that my post was in defense of the underappreciated shawl lapel. Â You may not like the long tie, but the shawl lapel dinner jacket you must agree is perfectly acceptable evening wear As for the Ralph Lauren thing, I posted this earlier, but: RL hypocrisy re. tuxedos He says one thing, and does another. Â I'm sure that there is some convoluted way of resolving this, but I think that the most obvious is that to which RL aspires to most: $$$ Modified for (some) coherency.

arenn1

Reaction score
Shawl collar is acceptible, but peak lapel is more classic.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must have seen ten of the damned notched lapels for every classic, traditional and correct peaked lapel. The invasion of the business-suit-inspired notch collar of the realm of men's semi-formal wear is a dismal phenomenon.
I agree. Â I am not a fan of the notched lapel either; but peaked lapels and ticket pockets on jackets from Triple Five Soul jackets to Banana Republic on up is starting to grate my nerves. (FYI, I had a peaked lapel Emporio Armani suit from the 1998-1999 season, so I have nothing against peaked lapels per se.)
Ah well, such is the way of fashion. I have a two button, moka velvet sportscoat with peaked lapel and ticket pocket, back to 1999 : it was still getting nice comments until very lately. Now I feel like I have to closet it for a few years : I don't want to look like everyone else. The cut is superb though (nipped waist, high button stance), Paul Smith was able to do great things at that time. Anyway, my liberty shirts will always be in style : it takes too much guts for joe-average to consider wearing one. .luc

Sevcom

Reaction score
Well-executed peak lapels (with a bit of belly) still look great, but the limp, wimpy, skinny ones are definitely a cliche right now. Toss in how Banana Republic et al also seem determined to toss in side vents, slanted hacking and ticket pockets, and it's even more maddening overkill.

But was Foxx's attire a tuxedo? It was pinstriped. Agree that the long tie made for a nice contrast with the shawl collar, though the former's knot was too big and the latter a little too slim.

Phil

Reaction score
a khaki raincoat is prefectly fine with a tuxedo, as long as its raining of course. Sure, a black raincoat is more conformist, but I kind of like the mix of the black and tan. The best dressed man I have ever seen in my life strolled into the Plaza for a wedding in a tuxedo, over which he was wearing a Polo style coat (camel in color, double breasted, etc.). He walked into the lobby and out of 100 men in the room, he was the only one in a tan coat. Got to have the confidence to pull it off, and he did. In my mind, if it was raining that night, he would have been in a khaki raincoat.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, a camel coat would look quite lovely when draped over a tuxedo.

Although an opera cape would be pulled off by someone of a certain caliber.

TheRookie

Reaction score
Oddly, Jay-Z was well dressed in a shawl collared tuxedo.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought jay-z's looked really sloppy and loose. just like pachino's.

I personally liked the velvet look that p-diddy wore, except his bow tie was that dumbo ear droopy style. chris rocks tux was a nice combo of velvet with satin lapels, but that windsor knot just looked goofy.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winners IMO:
keely_shaye_smith23.jpg
I feel like the button is SLIGHTLY too high, otherwise perfect
alexander_payne133.jpg
They look great together IMO, not the best pic of Payne's tux though
oscarsredc.jpg
Don't care for the color and should have been 2 button- everything else is just great

onthelistbaby

Reaction score
I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Robin Williams. The man looked absolutely ridiculous..

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Robin Williams.  The man looked absolutely ridiculous..
Well, from back in his days as Mork from Ork, he has rather made a specialty of playing the clown.

KevinR

Reaction score
Robbin Williams always dresses that way. The long coat and all. I guess I'am getting used to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads