• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scooters/mopeds

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are relatively safe, but you cannot control other drivers.

In the event of an accident, they are not as safe as cars.

Key being, in the event of an accident.

That said, for most people I think they are safer than motorcycles. Less speed, less power mishaps, and easier to maneuver, lower center of gravity, they turn incredibly sharply.

g.re

Reaction score
I'm about buying one of those old Vespa 125 Primavera. Here in Italy scooters are quite common.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
anyone ride a scooter or moped? is it safe?

I'm a scooter/moped enthusiast. I've had one stolen and busted ****** on another. Insurance covered the first, and my damage (to body and bike) were minimal on the second. There's certainly an unsafe aspect to them. I had a friend scooter-jacked a few months ago. Some kids tried to steal his moped. He sped away and got pistol-whipped in the process. He's fine.

So, there's the bad. I would still recommend them. Mine got stolen, because I left it somewhere it shouldn't have been. I fell, because I was riding in the rain and wasn't careful. My friend was assaulted in a bad neighborhood.

Scooters are a lot of fun, but you have to be careful. By a great lock. Keep it hidden, if possible. Take a safety course. Always wear helmet. Don't weave through traffic. Obey the traffic laws.

A bunch of my friends and I all have scooters and mopeds. We love them. They are great and efficient methods of transportation in big cities. And they are fun as hell. As with anything that has a degree of danger involved, just be careful and all will be fine.

Tcameron

Reaction score
I was looking into Vespas for a while, but my desire comes in waves. What would your advice to someone be if they wanted a used newer Vespa be who was on the fence about buying one?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was so close to getting one this summer. that is until my mom got too nervous and said i cant. but ill definately get one next summer with my own money! looks really fun and cant wait. i was going to buy a tomos 150. only 2700 new and comes with a helmet.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife got a Yamaha Vino. It has very similar lines/style to a Vespa. She loves it, but she wrecked it within one week of it's purchase. Due to the huge demand for these things, parts are extremely slow to come by.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tcameron
I was looking into Vespas for a while, but my desire comes in waves. What would your advice to someone be if they wanted a used newer Vespa be who was on the fence about buying one?

Don't buy a Vespa. By a used Vino, Metropolitan, Buddy, People, etc. There are lots of decent scooters out there that are not Vespas and cost half as much. There are always used ones out there on Craigs List and such, so you can get one at a decent price. If you like it and find it worthhile, then upgrade to a Vespa later on. You'l be able to resell your earlier purchase pretty easily. Scooters always seem to be in pretty high demand.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Don't buy a Vespa. By a used Vino, Metropolitan, Buddy, People, etc. There are lots of decent scooters out there that are not Vespas and cost half as much. There are always used ones out there on Craigs List and such, so you can get one at a decent price. If you like it and find it worthhile, then upgrade to a Vespa later on. You'l be able to resell your earlier purchase pretty easily. Scooters always seem to be in pretty high demand.

yea, woops i meant scooter, but usually just say vespa by habit. vespa will screw you over on repairs etc. have to go to them for oil changes etc. will cost you 5 times the amount of another scooter company.

Tcameron

Reaction score
Noted. I had looked into the Metropolitan by Honda, and they seem like a bargain. I think naturally went to Vespa because I think I may be getting too concerned with the image I portray.
frown.gif
I'll pay more attention to the other kinds. And thinking about it 3k+ for a scooter maybe a tad excessive. Of course, so is the majority of clothing on this forum is . . .

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tcameron
Noted. I had looked into the Metropolitan by Honda, and they seem like a bargain. I think naturally went to Vespa because I think I may be getting too concerned with the image I portray.
frown.gif
I'll pay more attention to the other kinds. And thinking about it 3k+ for a scooter maybe a tad excessive. Of course, so is the majority of clothing on this forum is . . .

i dont think youre portraying that much of an image on a scooter anyway. so who cares what kind. as long is it looks good, and is reliable, get it.

Modernist

Reaction score

Must! Resist! Urge!

I don't agree with the above. A vespa (a proper one, not the current aluminum-and-plastic ones) is an affordable, reliable scooter, fun to drive around, and cheap to maintain. Some bacis maintainance and repairs are easy enough to be performed by yourself.

Also, a vespa doesn't lose its value, so, if you don't like it, you can sell it for about the same money you purchased it.

If you want a cheaper scooter, just buy a vespa that isn't in top-notch cosmetic condition. See if you like driving that, and later restore it.

And there is great satisfaction to be had when driving that italian beauty dressed in a nice suit. And girls love them!

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by g.re
I'm about buying one of those old Vespa 125 Primavera. Here in Italy scooters are quite common.

Did you get that Primavera? They are beautiful scooters!

I only have a PX200, but I am looking around for a Rally or Sprint. Classic scooters are so beautiful.

Here in Greece also! In fact, when last year some friends of mine went to the eurovespa meeting (held in St Marino), in Rimini they visited a mechanic, whose main job was restoring Lambrettas. The guy said that half of the scooters in his shop were purchased in Greece.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think its a little bit different in north america than in europe. ^

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads