1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Science Questions Threak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by merkur, Jul 18, 2010.

1. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Are plants all essentially clones of earlier plants since plants don't (as far as I know) reproduce sexually? I mean if an orange tree produces oranges (which are kind of like plant eggs right?) which fall to the ground and the seeds in the oranges germinate, won't a genetically identical orange tree (to its parent) sprout up? If not, then where does the genetic variation in plants come from? Do plants undergo meiosis or mitosis? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll leave the dynamics of plant reproduction to the experts, but plants all have unique genotypes just like animals. In face, forensic plant DNA evidence has even been used in court!

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/stross.../paloverde.htm

2. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Are plants all essentially clones of earlier plants since plants don't (as far as I know) reproduce sexually? I mean if an orange tree produces oranges (which are kind of like plant eggs right?) which fall to the ground and the seeds in the oranges germinate, won't a genetically identical orange tree (to its parent) sprout up? If not, then where does the genetic variation in plants come from? Do plants undergo meiosis or mitosis? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Plants DO reproduce sexually there is exchange of genetic information via pollination. Pollen is essentially sperm which is applied to the stigma (ovum) of a flower causing a seed to be formed. This is why cross breeding plants, to get desired traits in later generations, works.

3. drum

drum Senior member

What causes senescence in organisms? Wouldn't it make more sense for any living creature to live and spread its genes indefinitely until it gets eaten or dies or disease? If it's just caused by the passing of time, why do some animals/plants live longer than others?

4. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Should dolphins be considered non-human persons?
    Good point. You are right, they should. Dolphin networking and social interaction is similar enough to humans, that they too should be considered a population of people. A human and dolphin brain is too similar to ignore and DNA is very similar between us. The main reason dolphins didn't evolve as intelligent as us is because they don't have hands/limbs so their ability to manipulate the environment is very limited. This doesn't mean their emotional intelligence and areas of consciousness are far inferior to humans. They may even be using verbal language for communication. This is important because use of language suggests individual conscious thought since we think to ourselves in our spoken language.