• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Science Questions Threak

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just gonna start something like this!!

Why does wind make us feel cooler?

Seriously. No I won't google it because where's the romance in that?

But yeah, I mean ok I understand if it's cold, more cold wind makes us colder...but when it's hot, why does wind make us cooler as well? After all, it's just more hot air blowing at us. If anything speed heats up molecules even more, amirite?

One of you smart assholes answer me. Or one of you dumb-but-capable-of-googling idiots.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Can anyone tell me how the Apollo 11 astronauts managed to keep the space shuttle flying in space and take off from the moon if there is no atmosphere on the moon and presumably no oxygen in space or on the moon for rocket fuel combustion?
confused.gif

Because space shuttles run on combining hydrogen and oxygen to create water vapor.
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I was just gonna start something like this!! Why does wind make us feel cooler? Seriously. No I won't google it because where's the romance in that? But yeah, I mean ok I understand if it's cold, more cold wind makes us colder...but when it's hot, why does wind make us cooler as well? After all, it's just more hot air blowing at us. If anything speed heats up molecules even more, amirite? One of you smart assholes answer me. Or one of you dumb-but-capable-of-googling idiots.
Because the wind blows away the body heat that surrounds us. Geez, I suck at science and even I know this ****.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Because the wind blows away the body heat that surrounds us.

Geez, I suck at science and even I know this ****.

If true, that's interesting. Thanks.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I was just gonna start something like this!!

Why does wind make us feel cooler?

Seriously. No I won't google it because where's the romance in that?

But yeah, I mean ok I understand if it's cold, more cold wind makes us colder...but when it's hot, why does wind make us cooler as well? After all, it's just more hot air blowing at us. If anything speed heats up molecules even more, amirite?

One of you smart assholes answer me. Or one of you dumb-but-capable-of-googling idiots.

The body gives off heat through the evaporation of moisture that's on the skin, and wind speeds up evaporation. Thus, it makes you feel cooler.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Can anyone tell me how the Apollo 11 astronauts managed to keep the space shuttle flying in space and take off from the moon if there is no atmosphere on the moon and presumably no oxygen in space or on the moon for rocket fuel combustion?
confused.gif

All jet engines work by making large amounts of gas that is ejected out the back to push the airplane or rocket in the opposite direction. Jet airplanes carry only high octane jet fuel because there is air to burn to form CO2 and gaseous H2O. As you realize, rockets have no air available, so rocket fuel is composed of two chemicals that react to form a large amount of gas. The gas jetting out the back pushes the rocket forward. I can give a more technical answer, including the chemicals used, if you're curious.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
The body gives off heat through the evaporation of moisture that's on the skin, and wind speeds up evaporation. Thus, it makes you feel cooler.

Ding, ding, ding. Evaporating liquid carries away energy (heat), leaving the surface cooler. But you didn't need to be told to go stand under a hose during the summer.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If time slows as velocity increases toward c, then if a person theoretically traveled at c couldn't they continually broadcast their actions to an audience that perceives them at the normal rate of time? How would such actions be interpreted by the audience? The broadcaster could do something like, say, recite the Declaration of Independence, but the audience would receive it as if no time had actually past. So the broadcaster is aware of his recital of the Declaration of Independence and it thus would be said to have actually occurred, yet is such an act even perceptible by the audience? And if not, would it actually occur in 'reality'? What if the velocity of the broadcaster was slowed to only near-c? How would the audience then perceive the recital?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
If time slows as velocity increases toward c, then if a person theoretically traveled at c couldn't they continually broadcast their actions to an audience that perceives them at the normal rate of time? How would such actions be interpreted by the audience? The broadcaster could do something like, say, recite the Declaration of Independence, but the audience would receive it as if no time had actually past. So the broadcaster is aware of his recital of the Declaration of Independence and it thus would be said to have actually occurred, yet is such an act even perceptible by the audience? And if not, would it actually occur in 'reality'? What if the velocity of the broadcaster was slowed to only near-c? How would the audience then perceive the recital?

Me no understand deiner Gendankexperiment!!! Is he travelling towards or away from the audience?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Jesus has limited human speed to 750 MPH so this is not something that could ever happen.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are travelling at the speed of light you cant transmit anything because the transmittal is also at the speed of light

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me no understand deiner Gendankexperiment!!! Is he travelling towards or away from the audience?
Is that relevant? If so, I'm interested in answers for both possibilities.
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
if you are travelling at the speed of light you cant transmit anything because the transmittal is also at the speed of light
Untrue. Why would that preclude a transmission? And if that's the case, assume the broadcaster is traveling only slightly slower than c. How are the broadcasts received and perceived?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the wind blows away the body heat that surrounds us.

Geez, I suck at science and even I know this ****.

This is right. The wind robs us of an insulating layer.

Originally Posted by MrG

Originally Posted by thinman
Ding, ding, ding. Evaporating liquid carries away energy (heat), leaving the surface cooler. But you didn't need to be told to go stand under a hose during the summer.

See above. I don't think these are nearly as influenced by the wind, but rather by relative humidity.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Is that relevant? If so, I'm interested in answers for both possibilities.

Untrue. Why would that preclude a transmission? And if that's the case, assume the broadcaster is traveling only slightly slower than c. How are the broadcasts received and perceived?

Read the Fabric of the Cosmos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads