• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Science Fiction Clothing

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some lighthearted musings I'd be interested in soliciting fellow forumites' comments on:

Have you ever noticed that in the overwhelming majority of science fiction movies and TV shows, buttons and shoelaces have evidently become obsolete? Happily, these useful little items show no sign of disappearing in the real world. This curious convention goes at least as far back as the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon comic strips of the 1930s, when riding boots were evidently deemed the perfect footwear for space travel.

Another mildly annoying convention is that in post-apocalypse movies (e.g., the Mad Max series), good people commonly wear the most hideous, shapeless outfits made of gunnysack-like homespuns, while bad guys have stereotypical motorcycle regalia of black leather studded with metal. The implications of this are interesting. It would imply that the bad guys have smelters and tanneries. In other words, they are exhibiting a much higher level of social cooperation and doing a much better job of putting things in general back together than the dingy-looking good guys.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As regards the 'no fasteners/adjusters' issue, I think the implication is that life will be simpler, and/or that industrial production will be so efficient that everything will fit perfectly and we won't have to waste time doing things like tying shoes. Much like one no longer will have to boil water, pour it, add a tea bag, wait, squeeze out, etc., but simply will be able to order one from the machine in one's quarters.

I don't know if the bad guys in Mad Max were supposed to have made their new leathers, or had just kept wearing them from before the apocalypse.

bch

Reaction score
If every woman I saw dressed as well as Wilma Deering (Erin Grey) from Buck Rogers, I'd have no complaints.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
As regards the 'no fasteners/adjusters' issue, I think the implication is that life will be simpler, and/or that industrial production will be so efficient that everything will fit perfectly and we won't have to waste time doing things like tying shoes.
Either that, or it's easier for costume designers to draw up garments without any details, and it's easier for their sweatshops to make them.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
If every woman I saw dressed as well as Wilma Deering (Erin Grey) from Buck Rogers, I'd have no complaints.
OK - I was home sick Monday and Tuesday and watched some of those old Buck Rogers episodes on SciFi Channel - granted Erin Grey was hot - but boy were those plots dumb.. Regarding clothing, my favorites were the cool jackets on the original Battlestar Galactica as modeled here by Apollo -- and how about that cape on Starbuck.
bgpic2.jpg
I don't know that we ever saw them fastened, but they sure looked neat. Bradford

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You gotta love cheesy sci fi costumes. Â Here are some of my favorites: Buck Rogers: Â (Who doesn't Princess Ardala, ruler of the Draconians? Â TV's most "benevolent" dictator, and Sci-fi's answer to Daisy Duke)
buck.jpg
buck1.jpg
buck2.jpg
buck3.jpg
buck4.jpg
Battlestar Galactica:
galactica.jpg
galactica1.jpg
galactica2.jpg
Logan's Run: Â Michael York as the sandman (and Farrah too.)
logan.jpg
logan1.jpg
logan2.jpg
Star Trek.. Â Kirk, Spock, Picard, and space babes.
trek.jpg
trek2.jpg
trek3.jpg
trek4.jpg
trek5.jpg
trek6.jpg
trek7.gif
trek8.jpg
trek9.jpg
The Borg Look:
voyager1.jpg
voyager2.jpg
And finally, the 1960s cult classic, UFO. Â Some of thw coolest costumes ever.
ufo.jpg
ufo2.jpg
ufo3.jpg
ufo4.jpg

AAA

Reaction score
I have it on good authority that in the future we will all be wearing this....
finalofff.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Please (please?) tell us that's not you ... or do I really want to know?

Brian SD

Reaction score
hahaha yea I remember seeing that in Maxim last year. Funny stuff

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my eyes. here's a couple from the best series you never saw, Firefly (from the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) :
gina_torres4.jpg
adam_baldwin2.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, please gentlemen, I really have to ask you to stop this. I can't bear the thought that I am part of an internet board where science fiction is discussed.
wink.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nominated for ironic post of the year...

bch

Reaction score
wwx1.jpg
I think Wonder woman qualifies as sci fi. I seem to remember an episode with a UFO in it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the pix from the "Firefly" series, I note the chap is wearing suspenders ("braces," if you prefer) and toting a revolver, both of which seem about as un-sci-fi-ish as you can get. AND, I see shoelaces. What was the premise of this series? It looks kind of "retro" in a way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads