Schubert Reviews

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 5thave, May 3, 2006.

1. 5thave

5thave Active Member

Thank you for your thorough entry about the shoes. When I get measured for my shoes, I'll ask they error, if they must, by making the shoes more roomy.

2. coatandthai

coatandthai Senior member

I finally received my brown captoes. I am very disappointed. I suppose I should not have expected much but I was hoping this might be a Jantzen-type deal. Not even close! First, they don't fit. Waay to tight. It's as if someone created a last that exactly matched my feet without a millimeter to spare. That doesn't work, so my toes are pressed up against the toe box and sides and it's very uncomfortable. The leather feels like heavy oil-tanned belt leather. When pressure is applied to it is changes color (lightens) as if it is stretching. The toe shape is very clunky -- like a child's orthopedic shoe. I suppose the workmanship is okay but the inner lining is some glued on piece that will no doubt fall off soon, and the rest is simply the suede side of the hide that will discolor one's socks.

Even if these did fit, I wouldn't wear them as they would never earn a spot in the rotation. And I am not a high-end shoe maven, my shoes are basically Feragammos, C&Js, some RL benchmades, etc. As a comparison, I have taken a photo of the Schuberts beside the basic Nordstrom Rack $100 specials (Lorenzo Banfi?) that I'm wearing today. The $100 shoes have life and style, the Schuberts look dead and lifeless.

Oh well, flushed money down the drain yet again. If it sounds too good to be true . . .

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1148355332

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Crap, I hope seok tells his shoemaker friend to start making the shoes a little roomier before mine are made. I'm really starting to think that this was a really bad investment. For the same amount of money I probably good have done pretty well RTW. Well, I hope mine turn out better, but so far I really have very little reason to believe that they will. [​IMG]

4. seok

seok Senior member

i have a Q for you guys--should i simply have the shoemaker make the clients' first shoes a little wider from now on (tight shoes seem to be a pattern w/self-measured customs), or put up more detailed self-measurement process, or do both?

the fits have not been a problem when one gets measured up in real life, so we need to get the self-measurement instructions and processes right...

i'm also considering more heavily marketing the premium calfskins, esp to the more discerning customers.

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I vote for both. It's better to err on the side of having the shoes be a bit bigger then a bit smaller. It's still possible to wear shoes that are a bit bigger, but it's impossible to wear shoes that are a bit smaller.

As for the more detailed instructions, I guess that would help. But, it's going to be pretty bad for business if you don't start getting some more satisfied customers pretty soon.

6. kronik

kronik Senior member

Not to mention - anyone you find here on SF is probably a pretty discerning customer so premium calfskins would be a good way to go if you could continue at a very competive price point and iron out the fit issues, which are paramount..

7. seok

seok Senior member

thanks odoreater.

we will get this right...i have another supplier who only makes shoes with superior calfskin and has much better construction methods that i've been testing out on my own.

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Just tell your guy about the fit issues before he starts making my shoes [​IMG]

9. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Coatandthai, or seok: is that the premium leather?

Seok: I think the fit is something you need to work out with the maker. The numbers that are coming from self-measurement should be exactly the same as the numbers that the pro measures. The difference would be in how he treats the measurements and the tracing. If he makes a last that is exactly the size and shape of the foot, the shoe is going to be too small. When he measures in person, does he measure the bare foot, or with a sock on?

10. Matt

Matt [email protected]

...this thread is exactly why i dont make suits for people when they ask...

11. coatandthai

coatandthai Senior member

12. seok

seok Senior member

he measures with barefoot or a thin dress sock on.

in terms of how he treats the measurements and the tracings, there's no doubt that he allows for space--space to get your feet in, room for the fluctuations in the foot's size.

considering the fact that fit has not been an issue for shoes made from real-life appointments, i think it's quite clear that we need to work on making the self-measurement process more precise.

i'm definitely not saying that the poor fits are necessarily customers' faults, but rather that the process needs to be improved.

i've got a list of precautions that the shoemaker handed down to me which i'm going to post on the website.

i've also told the shoemaker to leave more extra space in the toe and assume for a higher angle than he otherwise would with brick-and-mortar customers.

now, if somebody can make a machine--a la Brooks with their suit measurement--that can get a 3D reading of someone's foot, or have some material that will mold to one's feet and can be taken off...i'd be very interested.

Coatandthai, or seok: is that the premium leather?

Seok: I think the fit is something you need to work out with the maker. The numbers that are coming from self-measurement should be exactly the same as the numbers that the pro measures. The difference would be in how he treats the measurements and the tracing. If he makes a last that is exactly the size and shape of the foot, the shoe is going to be too small. When he measures in person, does he measure the bare foot, or with a sock on?

13. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I haven't heard of any cordwainer who uses them but I know for a fact that 3D foot scanners are available. Foot moulds, too.

Have you been asking clients to take pictures of their feet and note any odd bumps or the like?

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

now, if somebody can make a machine--a la Brooks with their suit measurement--that can get a 3D reading of someone's foot, or have some material that will mold to one's feet and can be taken off...i'd be very interested.

This would fit (no pun intended) your needs perfectly. You should contact them and request samples. It only costs $7.50/sock and could be quite effective. Some of their other products (longer socks) might be better, especially for a boot order.

http://www.stssox.com/slipper_sock_application.asp

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. dah328

dah328 Senior member

That sock looks interesting, but doesn't the shape of the foot change when standing? Wouldn't that be an important consideration for shoe fit?