• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schools of architecture

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Well, g'day all my fellows. As some of you may know, I attended the Naval Academy Summer Seminar earlier in the Season. And, since going, I've had some time to think about what I really want to do with life... amazing, how the choice that controls what your life will be must be made by a an early deadline. Anyway, I'm not sure if I want the life of the Navy, anymore. It's required nine years of my life, which is quite a price to pay. I could handle the life, I just want to have the "normal" college experience. And, from the Academy, one only receives a Bachelor of Science. Without a doubt, I want to get my Masters in two subjects: commercial architecture and some type of business class. Architecture is the main goal, here. And, specifically (but Graduate School would cover this), I desire to design skyscrapers, high-rise office buildings, and tall residential buildings. Not houses, I don't want to do that. Sooo, do you know of any good architecture schools that would focus on this? I'd really like to find a lib arts school that offers a good architecture program, so that way, I could still pursue the business classes. Oh, and definitely in a large city... I'm a "Fool for the City." haha, anyway... thank you all very much.. Does Columbia (in NYC) have an architecture program? I'd like to look into that. Any and all information is highly appreciated... Thanks, again.
wink.gif

pstoller

Reaction score
There are several architecture schools in NYC, including Columbia, Parsons, Pratt and Cooper Union, although I think Cooper Union only offers a bachelor's degree program. As for which is best, and whether any focus on high-rise design, I couldn't say. My guess would be that any of these (and other) programs would ultimately allow you to focus on whatever you want, but that you'd need to cover a broader range of information in your initial classes.

Columbia needs no introduction to you. Parsons and Pratt are both internationally renowned Art/Design schools, and Cooper Union has respected schools of Architecture, Art, and Engineering, supplemented by a liberal arts faculty. All these schools have web sites, so you might start there for an idea of what they have to offer.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the best is in Paris which fills in your requirement of a large city. It is the Academie des Beaux-Arts de l'Institut de France. Also the Sorbonne I thinks has a good architecture branch.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Yes... good, I wanted to visit Columbia (mainly just an excuse to go back to NYC), and I got something in the mail from Pratt. I'm unfamiliar with the other two, but I trust your judgement. Yeah, I figured that the curriculum would start off as a general introduction and then it would be the student's choice from there - wasn't sure... but you're most likely right. Thanks very much for the input and help. Aah. Grand Paris.. And, luckily enough, je parle un peut francais. (I speak a little French). Thanks again for your consideration and advice. You guys are helping to make this process quite a bit easier.
biggrin.gif
Merci..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics