• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School uniform

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 3 year old has been accepted to a private school and we need to gather the elements of his school uniform. The school's logo is long and narrow, and can either be sewn on or embroidered onto a polo shirt (short or long sleeve) or a turtleneck. Additional items: cardigans or sweaters may also be purchased (in the allowed colors) and embroidered.

Question:

1) In the case of a polo shirt, am I right in thinking sewing the logo onto the shirt will look strange after a few washes as the shirt may shrink, and may be uncomfortable?

2) what is the quality of Land's End polo shirts?

3) Can anyone recommend another brand, devoid of any logo or emblem, of decent quality?

I am specifically interested in clothing that won't come undone, won't fade if washed in cold water, won't shrink absurdly.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
congrats on the school

we have had very good luck with LE retaining shape and condition

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: some of the below relates to my experiences with adult sized polos.

To answer the questions:

1) I would buy them and wash them a couple of times first before applying the logo. This will get any shrinking out of the way up front.

2) I have no direct experience with Lands' End, but some folks over on the Ask Andy Trad Forum recommend them pretty highly.

3) I've had really good luck with LL Bean polos. Well made and inexpensive. No noticeable shrinking following a wash and no logo.

We've also purchased polos for my son from a store called The Children's Place. No logos, and they seem to be of good quality. I generally look at all clothing for children as disposable anyway. If you're lucky, it will last half a year and either wear out or become too small.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
FIHTies sells kids clothes. No idea of the styles or anything.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
congrats on the school

we have had very good luck with LE retaining shape and condition

Thank you. They do make you jump through hoops before they accept your child, what an ordeal that was. And he's only 3!
crazy.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Disclaimer: some of the below relates to my experiences with adult sized polos.

To answer the questions:

1) I would buy them and wash them a couple of times first before applying the logo. This will get any shrinking out of the way up front.

2) I have no direct experience with Lands' End, but some folks over on the Ask Andy Trad Forum recommend them pretty highly.

3) I've had really good luck with LL Bean polos. Well made and inexpensive. No noticeable shrinking following a wash and no logo.

We've also purchased polos for my son from a store called The Children's Place. No logos, and they seem to be of good quality. I generally look at all clothing for children as disposable anyway. If you're lucky, it will last half a year and either wear out or become too small.

I may go with Land's End, then, the school has an agreement with them. I typically prefer to buy better quality clothes, as they last longer and look better. A short sleeve polo shirt can easily work two seasons. Most of my child's clothing is currently Petit Bateau or Orchestra, and even after several washes a week, they still look almost new.

Thank you!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
I may go with Land's End, then, the school has an agreement with them. I typically prefer to buy better quality clothes, as they last longer and look better. A short sleeve polo shirt can easily work two seasons. Most of my child's clothing is currently Petit Bateau or Orchestra, and even after several washes a week, they still look almost new.

Thank you!

in terms of general toughness, I can't imagine anything tougher than LE. we bought my son some really nice stuff (Spanish and French brands, I don't remember) that looked great and is still like new, but my son outgrew it long long before it would wear out. and he outgrew his LE stuff before it wore out, too. so I don't see a difference, if it needs to be uniform, basically.

I really want to avoid that kind of school - I don't have the stomache for the admisions process, and then the thought of the years of fees. I am looking forward to getting my son into public school in 2 years (for first greade).

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
in terms of general toughness, I can't imagine anything tougher than LE. we bought my son some really nice stuff (Spanish and French brands, I don't remember) that looked great and is still like new, but my son outgrew it long long before it would wear out. and he outgrew his LE stuff before it wore out, too. so I don't see a difference, if it needs to be uniform, basically.

I really want to avoid that kind of school - I don't have the stomache for the admisions process, and then the thought of the years of fees. I am looking forward to getting my son into public school in 2 years (for first greade).

Unfortunately, it is the only school within a 3 hour drive radius that offers foreign language immersion in French, and this is a choice we have made for our son, our family, for a number of reasons. Had he not been accepted (only about 20-25% of applicants are in), we would have sent him to public school, the one near us is actually excellent, and I would have had to work with him after school on his French curriculum. Not sure how well this would have gone over...

So now you can use your son's clothing for the twins!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is the only school within a 3 hour drive radius that offers foreign language immersion in French, and this is a choice we have made for our son, our family, for a number of reasons. Had he not been accepted (only about 20-25% of applicants are in), we would have sent him to public school, the one near us is actually excellent, and I would have had to work with him after school on his French curriculum. Not sure how well this would have gone over...

So now you can use your son's clothing for the twins!

I understand your reasons perfectly.

yes, we actually have a huge amount of clothes, most will be good for boys or girls (we don't know yet). we even have a lot of stuff he never wore - he was born at 10 pounds, and people had bought us small stuff. I hope for my wife's sake we dont end up with two 10 pounders, so I am guessing we will get a chance to use these. I bought a couple of dozen outfits in india that were very light cotten, in brilliant colours in tie dies and batik patterns.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Indian outfits sound superb. If you ever get a chance, post pictures (with babies inside).
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, GT, I'm not getting anywhere with these links.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Sorry, GT, I'm not getting anywhere with these links.
Kodak is saying the album isn't valid anymore.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads