1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

School uniform

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabienne, May 31, 2006.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

My 3 year old has been accepted to a private school and we need to gather the elements of his school uniform. The school's logo is long and narrow, and can either be sewn on or embroidered onto a polo shirt (short or long sleeve) or a turtleneck. Additional items: cardigans or sweaters may also be purchased (in the allowed colors) and embroidered.

Question:

1) In the case of a polo shirt, am I right in thinking sewing the logo onto the shirt will look strange after a few washes as the shirt may shrink, and may be uncomfortable?

2) what is the quality of Land's End polo shirts?

3) Can anyone recommend another brand, devoid of any logo or emblem, of decent quality?

I am specifically interested in clothing that won't come undone, won't fade if washed in cold water, won't shrink absurdly.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

congrats on the school

we have had very good luck with LE retaining shape and condition

3. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Disclaimer: some of the below relates to my experiences with adult sized polos.

To answer the questions:

1) I would buy them and wash them a couple of times first before applying the logo. This will get any shrinking out of the way up front.

2) I have no direct experience with Lands' End, but some folks over on the Ask Andy Trad Forum recommend them pretty highly.

3) I've had really good luck with LL Bean polos. Well made and inexpensive. No noticeable shrinking following a wash and no logo.

We've also purchased polos for my son from a store called The Children's Place. No logos, and they seem to be of good quality. I generally look at all clothing for children as disposable anyway. If you're lucky, it will last half a year and either wear out or become too small.

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

FIHTies sells kids clothes. No idea of the styles or anything.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

congrats on the school

we have had very good luck with LE retaining shape and condition

Thank you. They do make you jump through hoops before they accept your child, what an ordeal that was. And he's only 3![​IMG]

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Disclaimer: some of the below relates to my experiences with adult sized polos.

To answer the questions:

1) I would buy them and wash them a couple of times first before applying the logo. This will get any shrinking out of the way up front.

2) I have no direct experience with Lands' End, but some folks over on the Ask Andy Trad Forum recommend them pretty highly.

3) I've had really good luck with LL Bean polos. Well made and inexpensive. No noticeable shrinking following a wash and no logo.

We've also purchased polos for my son from a store called The Children's Place. No logos, and they seem to be of good quality. I generally look at all clothing for children as disposable anyway. If you're lucky, it will last half a year and either wear out or become too small.

I may go with Land's End, then, the school has an agreement with them. I typically prefer to buy better quality clothes, as they last longer and look better. A short sleeve polo shirt can easily work two seasons. Most of my child's clothing is currently Petit Bateau or Orchestra, and even after several washes a week, they still look almost new.

Thank you!

8. globetrotter

I may go with Land's End, then, the school has an agreement with them. I typically prefer to buy better quality clothes, as they last longer and look better. A short sleeve polo shirt can easily work two seasons. Most of my child's clothing is currently Petit Bateau or Orchestra, and even after several washes a week, they still look almost new.

Thank you!

in terms of general toughness, I can't imagine anything tougher than LE. we bought my son some really nice stuff (Spanish and French brands, I don't remember) that looked great and is still like new, but my son outgrew it long long before it would wear out. and he outgrew his LE stuff before it wore out, too. so I don't see a difference, if it needs to be uniform, basically.

I really want to avoid that kind of school - I don't have the stomache for the admisions process, and then the thought of the years of fees. I am looking forward to getting my son into public school in 2 years (for first greade).

9. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

in terms of general toughness, I can't imagine anything tougher than LE. we bought my son some really nice stuff (Spanish and French brands, I don't remember) that looked great and is still like new, but my son outgrew it long long before it would wear out. and he outgrew his LE stuff before it wore out, too. so I don't see a difference, if it needs to be uniform, basically.

I really want to avoid that kind of school - I don't have the stomache for the admisions process, and then the thought of the years of fees. I am looking forward to getting my son into public school in 2 years (for first greade).

Unfortunately, it is the only school within a 3 hour drive radius that offers foreign language immersion in French, and this is a choice we have made for our son, our family, for a number of reasons. Had he not been accepted (only about 20-25% of applicants are in), we would have sent him to public school, the one near us is actually excellent, and I would have had to work with him after school on his French curriculum. Not sure how well this would have gone over...

So now you can use your son's clothing for the twins!

10. globetrotter

Unfortunately, it is the only school within a 3 hour drive radius that offers foreign language immersion in French, and this is a choice we have made for our son, our family, for a number of reasons. Had he not been accepted (only about 20-25% of applicants are in), we would have sent him to public school, the one near us is actually excellent, and I would have had to work with him after school on his French curriculum. Not sure how well this would have gone over...

So now you can use your son's clothing for the twins!

I understand your reasons perfectly.

yes, we actually have a huge amount of clothes, most will be good for boys or girls (we don't know yet). we even have a lot of stuff he never wore - he was born at 10 pounds, and people had bought us small stuff. I hope for my wife's sake we dont end up with two 10 pounders, so I am guessing we will get a chance to use these. I bought a couple of dozen outfits in india that were very light cotten, in brilliant colours in tie dies and batik patterns.

11. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

The Indian outfits sound superb. If you ever get a chance, post pictures (with babies inside). [​IMG]

12. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Sorry, GT, I'm not getting anywhere with these links.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Sorry, GT, I'm not getting anywhere with these links.
    Kodak is saying the album isn't valid anymore.

14. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

It looks like the parrots are going to eat him! [​IMG]

Cute kid Zach, and the Indian fabrics are much cooler than what you usually see underneath all the dribble.

15. globetrotter

It looks like the parrots are going to eat him! [​IMG]

Cute kid Zach, and the Indian fabrics are much cooler than what you usually see underneath all the dribble.

thanks. and the desiegns cover stains really well....

16. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Now I see them. Adorable baby. Is that a batik design?

17. minya

minya Senior member

My 3 year old has been accepted to a private school and we need to gather the elements of his school uniform. The school's logo is long and narrow, and can either be sewn on or embroidered onto a polo shirt (short or long sleeve) or a turtleneck. Additional items: cardigans or sweaters may also be purchased (in the allowed colors) and embroidered.
    I feel particularly qualified to offer some advice here. When I was un enfant en bas âge attending my private nursery school, called "Bijou de l'Ã[​IMG]cole maternelle du monde" (it may have been called something else in English, but my I was forced by my parents to refer to it only by the name I gave), my parents assured I was always dressed to the nines in Ralph Lauren Black Label (cardigans and trousers, along with shoes my parents had custom-made in childrens' size 9 (appropriate for enfants age 3 to 3 1/2). My yeux sensibles de bÃ[​IMG][​IMG] were protected from the harsh, carcinogenic sunlight by Dior pour BÃ[​IMG][​IMG] polarized sunglasses. At this young, tender age, I wanted a monocle (to complete the look, you see), but my parents considered it inappropriate. I did convince them, however, to have a bâton de marche custom-made out of hand-hewn variegated late Western hemlock bark so that I could swagger appropriately. I hope my suggestions are of assistance.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Salvador Dali had a sterling headed walking stick, which his mother gave him when he was in elementary school, which he used to hit people with.