• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School Shoes in the Office?

Credit Steed

Reaction score
Hi, I finished uni and will be working for government soon. In high school I wore school shoes. At university I wore sneakers. When I went to my job interview I wore a suit and I wore my school shoes. I don't think anyone cared. However, my parents told me that I cannot wear school shoes in an office. Instead, I have to buy "pointy shoes" e.g. this one. The problem is that I find that these pointy shoes prevent me from walking properly. The problem comes from the pointy bit, which gets in the way. Can I just stick to my school shoes or must I wear these pointy shoes in an office?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it would be helpful if you posted a picture of the "school shoes" or at least gave an adequate description of them. The shoes you posted as the preferred alternative look quite ghastly and you are wise to shun them.

Credit Steed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Narciso
I don't know what the hell school shoes are...........
You know, shoes you wear when you went to high school? Below is a picture I got from Google Images:
schoolshoes6.jpg
Source: http://www.libertyfreedom.co.in/pcat...hoolshoes6.jpg Most of the shoes I saw at the shops all looked pointy. Compare the pointiness of these shoes to the school shoe above, which is more bulbous and less narrow. I find that it is difficult to walk with narrow shoes on, but my parents keep telling me that all office people wear these shoes and that I must conform or be fired. Below is a picture from Google Images of a typical pointy narrow shoe:
Men_s_Dress_Shoes.jpg
Source: http://www.germes-online.com/direct/...ress_Shoes.jpg The shoe looks longer and narrower.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Narciso
Most kids I ever saw wore sneakers, but I wouldn't go with either option anyway. Get a pair of oxfords.

Yeah! Try the Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues. You can't go wrong with those.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are confused by the term "school shoes" since we don't have uniforms at most north american schools, so everyone just wears whatever they want to.

If you don't want pointy shoes, but don't want to look like a little kid, try something like this:
Alden%20cordovan%20bluchers.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Yeah! Try the Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues. You can't go wrong with those.

At their prices in the UK, yes you can!

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging from my last trip to the mall, a lot of people seem to think that square-toed and long, pointy-toed shoes are where it's at. I'd avoid them if I were you - the look is rather jarring - and just invest in some basic captoe oxfords with leather soles or possibly very subtle rubber ones.

I wouldn't drop the bank on this - look for a solid basic captoe oxford in black or brown from a company like Rockport or maybe Bostonian. I'd advise against Clarks, since they're famously ugly.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Credit Steed
You know, shoes you wear when you went to high school? Below is a picture I got from Google Images:
schoolshoes6.jpg
Source: http://www.libertyfreedom.co.in/pcat...hoolshoes6.jpg Most of the shoes I saw at the shops all looked pointy. Compare the pointiness of these shoes to the school shoe above, which is more bulbous and less narrow. I find that it is difficult to walk with narrow shoes on, but my parents keep telling me that all office people wear these shoes and that I must conform or be fired. Below is a picture from Google Images of a typical pointy narrow shoe:
Men_s_Dress_Shoes.jpg
Source: http://www.germes-online.com/direct/...ress_Shoes.jpg The shoe looks longer and narrower.

The first pair are monstrous. The second are only dreadful.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
to be honest it really depends on you and where you want to be in the future. depending on where you work is a big factor in how you dress. People who work in tech fields, ie engineers who work at apple make 100k+ easily in a t-shirt jeans and converse shoes. since you work for the govt, i don't know what part of it, but unless your the mailman i don't think you should wear your school shoes. In most positions if you find yourself dressing the same as an average high schooler, you won't get very far.

school shoes you should get rid of. they look like what i see in food service.
the 2nd pair slightly better but not by far. they look cheap and poor quality. guess to be no more than 100$-$150. you could use that money better instead to invest in a better pair.

beasty

Reaction score
Hi, I finished uni and will be working for government soon. In high school I wore school shoes. At university I wore sneakers. When I went to my job interview I wore a suit and I wore my school shoes. I don't think anyone cared. However, my parents told me that I cannot wear school shoes in an office. Instead, I have to buy "pointy shoes" e.g. this one. The problem is that I find that these pointy shoes prevent me from walking properly. The problem comes from the pointy bit, which gets in the way. Can I just stick to my school shoes or must I wear these pointy shoes in an office?

If you work in the government, unless its some top notch department that plans how to manipulate the world's stock markets, no one will care even if you come in clown shoes because government employees aint exactly well paid and hence no one cares nor can afford good clothes and shoes. You can wear your sneakers and I bet no one will bat an eye.

Pointy shoes do not prohibit you from walking in anyway. Its the leather soles on it that makes it slippery. Just stick some stick ons or get rubber soles.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This thread will only be helpful to you if you tell us what country you live in (so we can comment on brands that might be available to you) & what kind job you will be doing (so we can know what level of presentable you need to be) and what kind of budget you have to spend on new shoes (so we don't send you to Lobb).

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below is a picture from Google Images of a typical pointy narrow shoe:

Men_s_Dress_Shoes.jpg

Source: http://www.germes-online.com/direct/...ress_Shoes.jpg

The shoe looks longer and narrower.

How is that pointy toe? That's a square toe, which is pretty much the opposite of a toe that comes to a point. Both are equally hideous though, a normal round toe is what you want. And proper shoes will not stop you from walking properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads