• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

school dilemma

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
so i posted a thread like 6 months ago on kind of the same question, but it still is here

I am finishing up my junior year, have a 4.0 GPA and plan on either going to law school (prob not) or getting a master's

I will graduate in 2 semesters regardless of what I do

atm I'm an english major with a history minor, and will have all requirements for both of these done by next semester, leaving me with 15 credits of just random easy classes to take

OR

I can bump my minor up to a major, which is only a 5 class difference (which I have to take anyway)

the question is will I get anything out of it in regards to looking good for grad schools?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
so i posted a thread like 6 months ago on kind of the same question, but it still is here

I am finishing up my junior year, have a 4.0 GPA and plan on either going to law school (prob not) or getting a master's

I will graduate in 2 semesters regardless of what I do

atm I'm an english major with a history minor, and will have all requirements for both of these done by next semester, leaving me with 15 credits of just random easy classes to take

OR

I can bump my minor up to a major, which is only a 5 class difference (which I have to take anyway)

the question is will I get anything out of it in regards to looking good for grad schools?

Law school doesn't give a **** about your classes. Your GPA and LSAT are all they really care about. Your essay, work history, etc. is not entirely irrelevant, but it's largely unimportant. Actually, I take back my first sentence slightly. They are mildly intrigued by those who earn degrees in non-liberal arts majors, but that doesn't really apply in your situation.

I can't really speak to other grad programs.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up with 3 majors. The only reason why this happened was because I took classes I was interested in. Law schools don't care about how many majors or what you majored in. The actual status of having '3 majors' has provided no benefit other than a few "wows." I don't think grad schools will give a flying fcku about the extra major. I say take classes you will enjoy and screw the major. Only dumb people are impressed by people with "multiple majors."

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I know law schools value GPA over everything else, which is why I want to preserve my GPA. Part of my hesitance is because many of the courses I'd need to take with the second major are hugely pain the ass/difficult seminars.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider seriously the decision to go to law school. The profession is in serious trouble right now that goes beyond the current economic crisis. If you go, only go to a Top 14 with significant financial assistance or Harvard, Yale or Stanford. A a local school on a FULL ride is also acceptable.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Law school at a t10 school is still worth it. It will open doors. But don't go unless you actually have an interest in practicing law.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Preserve GPA + high LSAT = Law School Life Win.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see why any grad schools would care unless you're going to do a masters in history. Keep the GPA up so that you can get in to a top law school and not depend on piobaire for your healthcare!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you stick around for the extra semester, take classes that apply exclusively to your intended grad program. that's what I did and I think it served me well. I could have graduated one quarter earlier but stuck around and took linear algebra and game theory (maybe one other, can't remember) because I was heading to grad school in econ.

It can either let you play some catch-up (for me) or get a leg up (for you, it sounds).

b

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of graduate programs for English, they will look at the classes you took and especially the classes you took senior year. 'Easy' classes are basically a write-off to most programs -- they want someone who studied English, not someone who was looking to graduate with a preserved GPA. Most people who major in English are way behind in terms of substantive knowledge and abilities because they graduate simply through showing up to class and writing what are essentially book reports of Cliff's Notes.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
But don't go unless you actually have an interest in practicing law.

I cannot emphasize that point enough. I was focused all through undergrad where I earned multiple majors (mainly because I took so many extra courses I was interested in that it was pretty easy to add a second and third major if I stuck around an extra summer or two and one final fall semester) that law school was where I wanted to be.

Well, I graduated with decent grades and did alright on the LSAT and with the help of some rather weighty recommendations, I was off to my top choice law school. During the summer after my first year I began working at a community development foundation and discovered urban planning and realized law was not for me. I couldn't get my application into the planning school fast enough. The lowered earning potential isn't what upsets me about my situation... it's all the time and money I wasted on law school (and focusing on getting into it)!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics