1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

School computer technology, necessary?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lee_44106, Sep 7, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Its good tips I'm hearing from you guys. I make the Powerpoint from scratch rather than those templates they offer, so its not the expected format. Mine are 99% images
    with major points bulleted. I read only from these to start off the lecture or discussion or emphasize major points to remember. To skip class and just retrieve the power point only gets you the picture -the rest is a combination of books /notes from lectures.

Occaisionally I set myself on fire, just to keep it interesting[​IMG]

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I read only from these to start off the lecture or discussion or emphasize major points to remember. (...)

I wish that my fellow students had heard your comments and taken them to heart - the former or the latter.

Actually, the only areas that bothered me were: The Opening, the intros, body, conclusion, and closing. I hated people who read from the slides and turned their back to the audiences.

I'm having a hard time getting off the soapbox on this one. Honestly, just a little bit of effort in this one area puts you at the top 10% of anyone who has ever used Power Point.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

And I teach economics where it oftentimes can be obvious if the number makes sense. Yet students will report to me a negative price.

bob

And you teach at a university? How did they pass high-school? [​IMG]

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Its good tips I'm hearing from you guys. I make the Powerpoint from scratch rather than those templates they offer, so its not the expected format. Mine are 99% images
    with major points bulleted. I read only from these to start off the lecture or discussion or emphasize major points to remember. To skip class and just retrieve the power point only gets you the picture -the rest is a combination of books /notes from lectures.

I can understand where you're coming from about not wanting to make it easy for people to skip class, but wouldn't you prefer that they be listening intently instead of furiously trying to scribble down notes? For me there's always a huge difference in enjoyment between classes that have half-decent PP slides available and those that don't. With the slides I can focus on listening and add in the missing detail instead of having to write everything out. People that skip all the time will likely do poorly for other reasons so that shouldn't be the rationale for not providing moderately thorough slides.

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I can understand where you're coming from about not wanting to make it easy for people to skip class, but wouldn't you prefer that they be listening intently instead of furiously trying to scribble down notes? For me there's always a huge difference in enjoyment between classes that have half-decent PP slides available and those that don't. With the slides I can focus on listening and add in the missing detail instead of having to write everything out. People that skip all the time will likely do poorly for other reasons so that shouldn't be the rationale for not providing moderately thorough slides.

Excellent point. One of my best students sat on the front row and just watched and listened. I asked him about it one day, he said he did better that way. He aced all my courses. I actually don't mind if students draw either. I drew and it helped me pay attention. In the end, if I can get the conversation with the students going, that seems to be best. the technology then only serves as a backdrop for some shared experience.