• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School Advice-Do school rankings really matter?

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"rankings" do not matter so much as the reputation of the school, which is everything. ie if podunk u gets ranked #1 some year by fluke, harvard basket weaving grads will still have better job opps

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
"rankings" do not matter so much as the reputation of the school, which is everything. ie if podunk u gets ranked #1 some year by fluke, harvard basket weaving grads will still have better job opps

This place is a terrible mix of faux-elitism and an incredible ignorance of the real world.

cjl2g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't forget you may change your major along the way, so maybe best overall might not be such a bad idea

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjl2g
don't forget you may change your major along the way, so maybe best overall might not be such a bad idea

That may be true for undergrad, but I'm going for my PhD so switching fields is not really an option.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
This place is a terrible mix of faux-elitism and an incredible ignorance of the real world.

No, he's right to a certain extent. For example, BusinessWeek ranked Notre Dame and UVA's undergraduate business schools ahead of Wharton, but I don't think anyone would argue that Wharton is more prestigious and more heavily recruited, which is really all that matters for business school.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EMY
That may be true for undergrad, but I'm going for my PhD so switching fields is not really an option.
Assuming engineering is like the sciences and you build a reputation by publishing research results, if you know the type of research you want to do, you should pick a PhD advisor rather than a school. Your name will be more closely associated with your advisor's reputation than the school's reputation. If you are unsure what type of research you wish to do, pick a large school with several professors doing research that interests you. Choose the school with the best reputation where you think you can excel. You'd rather be a star from the number 5 or even the number 15 program in the country than a 'C' student from the best program. If necessary, ask a current or former professors to give you an honest assessment of your abilities. When choosing an advisor, be sure to talk with his or her grad students. Make sure the professor has former students in positions similar to where you want to end up. Regardless, choose an advisor whose research interests you and who values you as a professional and as a person. Life is too short to deal with dickheads.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific

let us count the errors in this response, oh **** ran out of fingers (I have 43 fingers btw)

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
let us count the errors in this response, oh **** ran out of fingers (I have 43 fingers btw)

Assuming he is talking about undergrad, what is actually wrong with that response?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
Assuming he is talking about undergrad, what is actually wrong with that response?

because this thread is not asking about undergrad

joelmthw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I second (third) this. Incidentally, I was also accepted into Columbia for engineering grad school and I seriously considered it because I had thoughts at the time of also pursuing an MBA or JD in parallel with my Ph.D. I ended up choosing Georgia Tech because it was ranked higher overall in engineering and my focus (ECE/BME). I took it seriously for 4 years and ended up with a job in line with what I could have expected with a dual Ph.D/MBA and a much better technical background because of the resources here. Tech was the highest ranked engineering school that did spring admissions at the time and it ended up being one of the best decisions I've made.

Short answer: Go with the better engineering school - but in grad school make sure you also have a great fit with your advisor, especially if you're doing a Ph.D. That alone could make or break your experience. I was fortunate enough to have one of the classiest people as mine.

when did u attend gatech? im there currently

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
because this thread is not asking about undergrad

Op wasn't, but scientific clearly was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics