• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scents/Odors that Trigger Memories: Terre d'Hermes Smell

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, sorry for not only another cologne thread, but one about Terre d'Hermes.

So, my wife brought me back a bottle from France and I used it this morning. There is something very powerful about this scent that makes me constantly think about my grandfather. He wore a scent that, in some way, smells so similar to the Terre d'Hermes that I'm getting flashes of imagery of my grandfather, his bathroom, and his living room.

My question is if you scent experts have any of these colognes: Giorgio for Men - he used a bottle from the early 80's or Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui? Those are two of his colognes, which I can think of, that he used, but he used several more. I'm leaning towards the Giorgio, and if any of you guys have an old bottle to compare the two scents, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
First, sorry for not only another cologne thread, but one about Terre d'Hermes.

So, my wife brought me back a bottle from France and I used it this morning. There is something very powerful about this scent that makes me constantly think about my grandfather. He wore a scent that, in some way, smells so similar to the Terre d'Hermes that I'm getting flashes of imagery of my grandfather, his bathroom, and his living room.

My question is if you scent experts have any of these colognes: Giorgio for Men - he used a bottle from the early 80's or Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui? Those are two of his colognes, which I can think of, that he used, but he used several more. I'm leaning towards the Giorgio, and if any of you guys have an old bottle to compare the two scents, I would greatly appreciate it!

Hmmm: before I start, did you get the Hermes EdT or the EdP? The Edt is pretty dry and flinty, but I'm told that the Edp (or parfum) tends to have a little more depth and fullness (via rose and sandalwood, which are not really part of the EdT). Also: I wore GfM in the mid-80's and the current production isn't a whole lot different from the original. I can't imagine early-80's being much different, given the general tastes back then (i.e., LOUD!@)

That said, I'm not really seeing much similarity between Giorgio for Men and Terre d'Hermes. Giorgio for Men is a loud, brawny orange/pine/patch scent, while Terre d'Hermes is a lot quieter and flinty. In fact, I can't really think of anything I've tried that is similar to TdH, much less of an 80's vintage. I can't speak to the de la Renta, though.

Closest match I can think of to TdH that was around 20-30 years ago might be Chanel Pour Monsieur, and even that one's kinda iffy.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hmmm: before I start, did you get the Hermes EdT or the EdP? The Edt is pretty dry and flinty, but I'm told that the Edp (or parfum) tends to have a little more depth and fullness (via rose and sandalwood, which are not really part of the EdT). Also: I wore GfM in the mid-80's and the current production isn't a whole lot different from the original. I can't imagine early-80's being much different, given the general tastes back then (i.e., LOUD!@)

That said, I'm not really seeing much similarity between Giorgio for Men and Terre d'Hermes. Giorgio for Men is a loud, brawny orange/pine/patch scent, while Terre d'Hermes is a lot quieter and flinty. In fact, I can't really think of anything I've tried that is similar to TdH, much less of an 80's vintage. I can't speak to the de la Renta, though.

Closest match I can think of to TdH that was around 20-30 years ago might be Chanel Pour Monsieur, and even that one's kinda iffy.

It's EdT.

Hmm, I had the Pour Monsieur from 1990 and don't catch anything that would make them similar. Interesting how that happens.

This really is driving me crazy, though. I loved my grandfather, and I'm even getting the sounds of the songbirds in his backyard because of the smell I've got going on.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
In before every scent starts to remind you of Nutella and you go off the deep end.

I wonder what Nutella and ***** tastes like?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder what Nutella and ***** tastes like?

Poontella.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Equipage makes me think of my grandfather. As a stock guy and truck driver, don't think he wore Hermes, but yea, was something very similar. My grandmother is Chalimar, and she did wear that all the time.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grandmother always wore Shalimar as well.

Thomas, go home and smell the Giorgio for Men you have.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My grandmother always wore Shalimar as well. Thomas, go home and smell the Giorgio for Men you have.
I don't have to: it's burned into my memory. More than just the notes, there's a general exuberance to Giorgio for Men that is nowhere to be found in anything composed by Jean-Claude Ellena. Ellena is staunchly compact and minimalist, and getting more so with each new release. Where Giorgio is an outgoing backslapper, Terre is more of a genteel, quiet voice. That said, I'll pair them side-by-side and make sure I'm not full of bull. Edit: wearing both, and one cannot be mistaken for the other.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
HORNS, did your grandfather wear Aramis? That is probably an even closer match to TdH, now that I think of it. I've read that Oscar de la Renta was a close cousin of Aramis, at least it WAS, back in the day, so that's the more-likely match. If you're curious what Aramis (or presumably OdlR) smelled like back in the day - go to a Lauder fragrance counter and give Azuree a sniff. It's brilliant but really really loud and a bit floral, but a lot closer to TdH than Giorgio.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
HORNS, did your grandfather wear Aramis? That is probably an even closer match to TdH, now that I think of it. I've read that Oscar de la Renta was a close cousin of Aramis, at least it WAS, back in the day, so that's the more-likely match. If you're curious what Aramis (or presumably OdlR) smelled like back in the day - go to a Lauder fragrance counter and give Azuree a sniff. It's brilliant but really really loud and a bit floral, but a lot closer to TdH than Giorgio.

wow.gif
He DID wear Aramis! Next time at in a store that has that as a sample I'm going to test it out - with the understanding that it's most likely not the same formulation.

Thanks for your help, brother!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
The Seventh Level of Hell

I had green lipped mussels last night - I don't think it would go well with it either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads