• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scented Fabrics

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently picked up a couple Black Fleece oxfords and they seem to have a distinctly cedar-y aroma, even after a wash or two. I noticed the same thing with a couple Martin & Osa sweaters, only a slightly different woodsy fragrance.

Have I lost my mind or are the fabrics infused with some kind of scent?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be unheard of. I don't know a lot about it from the clothing end, but I remember reading in various science magazines that companies were paying to have signature scents developed that they could treat their products with, yet another step in branding.
So it could be that, or it could be they picked up whatever scent was blown around the shop they were sold in, I take it is not a scent they could have encountered in your house?
Hey, maybe you are just developing some form of synesthesia.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
About 8 years ago I was at the Chocolate fair in NYC. they had three dress one dark brown, one tan and one in winter white.
one smelled like dark chocolate, one smelled of Milk chocolate and the last of white chocolate.

I doubt that the clothing you referred to is infused with a scent unless it was stated on a tag.
Carl

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
About 8 years ago I was at the Chocolate fair in NYC. they had three dress one dark brown, one tan and one in winter white.
one smelled like dark chocolate, one smelled of Milk chocolate and the last of white chocolate.

I doubt that the clothing you referred to is infused with a scent unless it was stated on a tag.
Carl

I kind of doubt the clothing is deliberately scented too, but the idea behind this scenting as branding thing is not that it's an added feature that would be mentioned on the tag, but that you subconsciously come to associate it with the brand, its always there etc. Even electronic companies were looking at having a smell built in to the casing of their products. I don't know how far down the line any of this is, only that companies are investigating it.
How were the chocolate dresses? was the smell convincing and in anyway something you would want a dress to smell of?

I kind of doubt the clothes have had this done to them, I know A&F do something a little like this covering their shops with signature smells, loud ******* music also that supposedly increases impulsive behaviour (ie spending more), my sister bought some A&F stuff and it smelled noticeably for a while.
I imagine the clothes smell because of some in store scent, not some deliberate strategy.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the chocolate clothing smelled great. I would think that smelling faintly of chocolate might attract the opposite sex.

little kids toys are often scented with Vanilla.

BUt.. I can not walk into a Thomas Pink with out feeling disgusted. Not because the shirts are poorly made and overpriced, but because I hate the scent that is sprayed in the stores
Carl

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
the chocolate clothing smelled great. I would think that smelling faintly of chocolate might attract the opposite sex.

little kids toys are often scented with Vanilla.

BUt.. I can not walk into a Thomas Pink with out feeling disgusted. Not because the shirts are poorly made and overpriced, but because I hate the scent that is sprayed in the stores
Carl

I think if my shirt smelled like chocolate I'd just be hungry and eat all day, making me fat & unattractive.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Wouldn't be unheard of. I don't know a lot about it from the clothing end, but I remember reading in various science magazines that companies were paying to have signature scents developed that they could treat their products with, yet another step in branding.
So it could be that, or it could be they picked up whatever scent was blown around the shop they were sold in, I take it is not a scent they could have encountered in your house?
Hey, maybe you are just developing some form of synesthesia.

I'd heard about retailers developing their own scents for helping consumers get in the buying mood. The M&O store is pretty overwhelming, similar to Thomas Pink. I don't really notice this at Brooks. You're probably right that the clothes have just picked up residual scent from wherever they we're stored or made.

JPYPSU07

Reaction score
Ladies love the smell in the Abercrombie stores for some reason as well. It just reminds me of sorrostitutes in college.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads