• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on the best leather-forward scents that aren't too one note? Been trying a few but I'm having a hard time picking. The opening of TF Ombre Leather is great, but all the complexity disappears on the dry down for me. Meanwhile, I rather like Kilian Dark Lord, but it's very polarizing. Also really liked Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather, but it doesn't have much longevity for me.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I’ve been wearing French Lover the past few days. It’s ok but not a love. On the train last night I thought someone was wearing a musty vintage chypre (it was me).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on the best leather-forward scents that aren't too one note? Been trying a few but I'm having a hard time picking. The opening of TF Ombre Leather is great, but all the complexity disappears on the dry down for me. Meanwhile, I rather like Kilian Dark Lord, but it's very polarizing. Also really liked Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather, but it doesn't have much longevity for me.

I don't know if they're complex, but for leathers, I like Chanel's Cuir de Russie, Bvlgari Black, and Helmut Lang's Curion. I find some leathers to be a bit too old school and smokey. These are a little lighter and more unisex.

I don't think they're world's apart from AdP's Colonia Leather, but it's perhaps not as outwardly masculine as TF's Ombre Leather.

TheShoeMaker

Reaction score

Cuir 28 by Le Labo

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I was sampling Caron Pour Un Homme last night and enjoying the lavender there. Maybe I'll do some more lavender myself this week.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I’ve been wearing French Lover the past few days. It’s ok but not a love. On the train last night I thought someone was wearing a musty vintage chypre (it was me).
It's a weird one. I like it, but it's not a love just yet. Not sure why, but it gives me a feeling of being in a basement full of stale, moist, moldy wood with a lingering honey scent in the air. This is one that I cannot really dissect very well, and will need a lot of time to understand it.

Today's fragrance was Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy, which I discovered through this thread. I bought a sample of it the other week and gave it a full wearing today. I absolutely love it. It's unquestionably earthy, woody, and masculine. Somehow, it's a juxtaposition of clean and dirty accords. A beautiful scent that I would absolutely purchase a full bottle of.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
It's a weird one. I like it, but it's not a love just yet. Not sure why, but it gives me a feeling of being in a basement full of stale, moist, moldy wood with a lingering honey scent in the air. This is one that I cannot really dissect very well, and will need a lot of time to understand it.

Today's fragrance was Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy, which I discovered through this thread. I bought a sample of it the other week and gave it a full wearing today. I absolutely love it. It's unquestionably earthy, woody, and masculine. Somehow, it's a juxtaposition of clean and dirty accords. A beautiful scent that I would absolutely purchase a full bottle of.

You are spot on, French Lover is not as open air of a scent as people make it out to be.
Incident Diplomatique is one of my real perfume loves and you are spot on again. When it comes to their masculine stuff they are well made/blended but have a rustic side too.

shoewarma

Reaction score
You are spot on, French Lover is not as open air of a scent as people make it out to be.
Incident Diplomatique is one of my real perfume loves and you are spot on again. When it comes to their masculine stuff they are well made/blended but have a rustic side too.
I'm wearing French Lover right now, as a matter of fact. At times I just don't know what to think of it. I like how the incense and Angelica complement each other, giving the fragrance a nice, forest-like greenness. But, I just don't find it to be a fragrance suitable for wearing at this point. We'll see if I change my mind after finishing my 10 mL decant.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bought a bottle of Coromandel and picked up a sample of Paris-Biarritz, which is part of a three-part series Chanel released last summer. It's ... nice. I guess a bit of grapefruit and aquatic notes at the top, then lily of the valley in the heart, and vetiver in the background. It's a touch salty. Totally pleasant and wearable. Vaguely reminds me of Tom Ford's Gray Vetiver, although without the strong lemondrop note (I like the Chanel version better).

But it also feels miles away from Chanel's Exclusifs stuff, which feels better blended to me. This one feels nice and young, maybe without that old feel some people probably associate with Exclusifs. One of the things I like about the Exclusifs line is that you often can't really pick out single notes -- it just smells the way it smells. And it's not so conceptual (e.g. this is a walk in a forest or whatever). Paris Biarritz feels more like it's moving with the crowd.

On the upside, it's only $80, which is very affordable. The bottle looks nice. A solid summer choice, although a bit of a let down for me for some reason.

TheShoeMaker

Reaction score
Today was a few solid sprays of AdP Leather that still maintains the base note after 10 hours

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Tobacco Vanille in the office today.

I've noticed that some people seem to have a strong reaction against the idea of wearing TV to the office. I'm not sure why, it's always seemed very...inoffensive to me. But I get a lot more Vanille off it than Tobacco.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Indult's Tihota? It's often described as the ultimate vanilla. I like vanilla scents, but wondering if it's a straight vanilla like Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Ore Vanille. Or if it's something a little more complex.

Is it basically like smelling a vanilla bean?

shoewarma

Reaction score
Amouage Journey Man today. They've taken the whole "spice cabinet" type of scent and actually made it smell proper. The added fruitiness sets this apart from other spicy scents, and the overall quality of this is top notch. Just like Epic Man, this one really makes me think of the ancient Orient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads