• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congratulations, L’inc! Give me your registry so I can send you a third panini press.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Today has been a nice break from the hellish heat we've been having, so I decided to put on Santal by Floris in the day. I just love the simplicity of it, but the gentlemanly scent of this is why I love this so much. I don't have the wardrobe that many of you guys have, but this makes me feel sartorial.

The evening got even better, with rain coming down hard. I put on Honey Aoud by Montale. Really not a gourmand to my nose, and it smells a lot like the holidays, or holiday candles maybe. Great stuff.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Nice perfume article from @dieworkwear if anyone hasn't seen it. I am intrigued by the salt/marine family, which I've never tried, though I'm not sure how far down the spectrum from ozone to brine to seaweed I would/should go in a work context.

Currently enjoying the slightly smoky grapefruit Le Labo Bergamote 22, and some neroli family stuff, which I thought was way too fruity for me but has won me round.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice perfume article from @dieworkwear if anyone hasn't seen it. I am intrigued by the salt/marine family, which I've never tried, though I'm not sure how far down the spectrum from ozone to brine to seaweed I would/should go in a work context.

Currently enjoying the slightly smoky grapefruit Le Labo Bergamote 22, and some neroli family stuff, which I thought was way too fruity for me but has won me round.

My favourite marine, by quite a big margin, is Heeley’s Sel Marin. Great fragrance that manages to be a distinct marine but without smelling like seaweed and oysters.

Mehran

Reaction score
Anyone have a lot of experience buying fragrances off eBay? I've never done it, largely because I find it sketchy since I don't know how the person stored the bottle. Are there stories of people getting bottles that have been stored in sunlight or something?

cc'ing @HORNS @L'Incandescent and @rach2jlc cause they have a lot of experience with fragrances, but would welcome anyone's input.

I always just stalk the Styleforum equivalents of cologne/perfume (namely Basenotes, but some others too). For the most part, people with massive collections and who are enthusiasts take care of their stuff. Never had a bad transaction on BN. You can also go the Facebook route, but thats pretty sketch in my book.

It also depends on the brand. Creeds are faked, as are a bunch of the really famous stuff (Xerjoff, Le Labo, TF et al). Malle's are starting to get faked as well. If you are on the hunt for more niche, less mainstream stuff (MFK I'd buy, but By Killian is a big maybe ), you probably wont get a faked bottle, and if they went out of their way to buy niche, it probably was stored decently.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I’ve been wearing Mefisto by Casamorati the most this summer. I think it’s a perfect lemon and lavender combo that is so simple but I haven’t found another perfume that lets those two notes shine the way they do in this one. I sampled the newer Gentiluomo version before buying my bottle and love it just as much. I feel it had an even brighter lemon note with a watery-ness that was not loud calone.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had some fun with GIORGIO RED for men. It's a strange powerhouse from the olden days; I can't really recommend it, but it has hundreds of notes and makes you feel like you should be outside hunting wild game. In late summer/early autumn weather it picks up nicely. Mine is an old bottle I keep in the Wine Cooler, but even the current version (easily obtained on the cheap for less than $20) gives you the general idea of what it was.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent several days with Killian Dark Lord when working and living in over-air-conditioned spaces recently. So whoever recommended it to me in this thread several months ago, thank you.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I’m interested in the Celine exclusive line coming in a few months. According to their site they all have a poudre accord. Hoping they are Dior privee prices and not much Vuitton or that new Gucci line prices.

And a heads up, a wholesaler on eBay has Aedes De Venustas- Iris Nazarena 10ml travel bottles for $7.99 free shipping

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really never appreciated my bottle of Amouage Jubilation XXV, finding it weak, but I decided to wear it this summer when the weather here in San Francisco was above 70 degrees, letting it radiate more off my skin.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I bought a tester of Encens Mythique by Guerlain. The collection it’s from was moved to a different bottle style so the older bottle style is being liquidated and turning up in various places. I wore it a few days in a row and think it’s beautiful but eventually the ambergris turned my stomach. Some people think the only one worth owning is the original 2012 release because it is more potent, I couldn’t imagine.

I really never appreciated my bottle of Amouage Jubilation XXV, finding it weak, but I decided to wear it this summer when the weather here in San Francisco was above 70 degrees, letting it radiate more off my skin.

Chicago weather feels perfect for this right now.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Just for ***** and giggles, I'm wearing Aramis Havana sitting outside right now in the nighttime. It's a serious and old school tobacco that packs a punch. I especially like the fact that it isn't a sweet tobacco, but it has a touch of a honey-like note in the air. It's a bit harsh smelled directly on skin, but still quite a great scent.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, I don't think I've ever smelled Aramis Havana.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just purchased Burberry London again today. Haven’t had it in a few years but remembered liking it.

Glad I did as it’s every bit as good as I remembered.

Also tried Creed Himalaya which initially disappointed but I ended up really liking it. Quite understated

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads