• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zoologist Tyrannasaurus Rex - What is going on here? On me, it smells like getting hugged by a smoker. Sort of a Comme-style "we made it smell like a 1970s mountain man" concept. Fascinating, thanks for the recommendation.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently enjoyed philosykos lately, which I’m wearing today.

When I smelled it years ago I remember not caring for it much, but maybe that’s because I wasn’t a huge fan of eating figs back then though I enjoy them a lot now.

Initially it’s like being punched in the face with an open green fig, but on my skin quickly dries down into a soft, musky, white fragrance with a touch of sweetness.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last couple of days I've been wearing Eau Sauvage Parfum, the formulation from around 2012. If you guys have never tried this fragrance, yet appreciate what Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and Nicolai New York Intense are to their predecessors, then you will like this one.

shoewarma

Reaction score
The last couple of days I've been wearing Eau Sauvage Parfum, the formulation from around 2012. If you guys have never tried this fragrance, yet appreciate what Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and Nicolai New York Intense are to their predecessors, then you will like this one.
What an amazing scent. Shame it was discontinued. I do think that the 2017 formulation is just as good, albeit a little fresher and less dense.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I got to try the new Orto Parasi Friday. It’s a mineral aquatic with woods and a soft spice you would associate with a fall/winter perfume. On fabric the base is very similar to Black Afgano, but not on skin. I like that the perfumer doesn’t release notes but it makes you susceptible to comparison to cheap perfume. Someone on fragrantica compared it to Curve by Liz Claiborne which I thought was funny.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My love/hate relationship with Creed is well documented, but the weather is getting warm enough to bring out two of my favorites of theirs (that I think still hold up well without all the dumb hype).

Neroli Sauvage and Royal Virgin Water. The former has a nice bitter orange note with some spice, and the latter is just fun and unstuffy in a way Creed usually isn't.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been enjoying Nicolai Cedrat Intense this past week, with the weather being so hot here. It's back down in the 50s again so I put on my newest acquisition of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum, a flanker that such a classic deserves.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a free sample of Ex Idolo's Love & Crime when I bought something else. Quite like it. Usually don't like gourmands but this smells like oranges, icing sugar and chocolate, and who doesn't like that? It smells all day long too because the longevity is impressive. The back story is silly (tired of all the contrived "stories" that all niche brands seem to use nowadays), but the craftmanship is solid. Possibly to cute to be a masculine though.

Anyone tried any of the other Ex Idolo's scents?

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Got a free sample of Ex Idolo's Love & Crime when I bought something else. Quite like it. Usually don't like gourmands but this smells like oranges, icing sugar and chocolate, and who doesn't like that? It smells all day long too because the longevity is impressive. The back story is silly (tired of all the contrived "stories" that all niche brands seem to use nowadays), but the craftmanship is solid. Possibly to cute to be a masculine though.

Anyone tried any of the other Ex Idolo's scents?

I have a sample of Ryder and it is a boozy woody perfume. The only think I don’t like about it is in my personal taste. I don’t like cedar and Ryder has a big note of it. Otherwise I’d probably be a fan of that one. A local barbershop carries them and im excited to try the rest of what they make.

In department stores locally Guerlain is down to the Art of Materials and Absolu D’Orient collections. I did see Vetiver and Imperiale Cologne at Saks. I can understand pushing the more expensive products but they don’t seem to care if the classics get new customers.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have recently been trying out a sampler of Maritime Deep Blue by Tommy Bahama and two women I know immediately identified I was wearing a different cologne and commented they liked it. Sorry I can't exactly describe the scent other than light and fresh but a bottle will likely be in my future.

Last edited:

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just scored a vintage bottle of Guerlain's original Heritage EDT on Ebay. For $20 if it's gone flat it won't be a big loss. If not, it's such an amazing classic fall/winter frag, I'll be looking forward to revisiting.

And finally found a warm weather scent that I really like (since most citrus based frags either turn to crap on my skin after 30-minutes, or are just generic, aldehydic blah). Another Guerlain: L'Homme Ideal Cologne in the white bottle. Great longevity for a cologne concentration. Well deserved 4-stars from Luca Turin.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Polo Blue this will always be my #1
11 years before Blue, RL released the original Cosmair formulation of Safari. That was the best warm weather frag I had come across up that point, and was living in Honolulu at the time. Although not listed in the official notes, in my scent memory I swear that Safari had a pineapple-like sub-note going on that was better and more elegant than Aventus.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
HOT and HUMID! Breaking out my Dior Eau Fraiche. One of the first "eau" fragrances (first made by Roudnitska in the early 1950's), and the basis of both Diorella and Eau Sauvage. Copied endlessly by everybody in the 1970's thru 1990's.

A wonderfully stinky citrus with lots of kick. Very, very short lived, so I apply liberally. I hate to use up my sacred vintage bottle... but it's too good NOT to use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads