• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coteau de poche - fumabat

god, i love how this smells like weird crushed leaves

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been wearing Vol de Nuit for the last two days - I started seeing the daffodils blooming around town and thought it was perfect time to pull out the most beautiful narcissus fragrance, and maybe the most beautiful perfume of all time.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
L’Artisan Timbuktu - was expecting a polorizing fragrance that was either you love it or hate it. Found it to be somewhere in the middle. Wouldn’t buy a bottle of it but will certainly finish the decant sample.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
L’Artisan Timbuktu - was expecting a polorizing fragrance that was either you love it or hate it. Found it to be somewhere in the middle. Wouldn’t buy a bottle of it but will certainly finish the decant sample.

I’ve always been disappointed that I don’t get Timbuktu.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Yesterday, I wore Lumiere Noire by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. Such a lovely rose and patchouli combination. At first, it has a dry, woody feel, but then something semi-sweet and creamy comes in and make this very smooth. Lasts a very long time, too. So glad I scored an 11 mL decant for a great price.

Edit: I'm currently wearing Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. I've always gone back and forth trying this on in stores, but I was never really impressed with it. Good thing I got a sample from Nordstrom. It smells really nice when wearing it. A lot of it has to do with my growing appreciation for neroli, and how familiar it is to me. Neroli tends to smell like Arabic sweets, and Neroli Portofino reminds me of them, especially those with pistachio. I dig it now.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today, after shaving, I slapped on some Alt Innsbruck aftershave. It doesn’t last long but it is such a wonderful old school yet timeless and undated scent.

IsoE

Reaction score
I layered Proraso red after shave with Art of Shaving 'Sandalwood and Cypress', bit disappointed how powdery it is on skin!
Will test one more time alone, and with Carven Homme.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Venetian Bergamot by Tom Ford for me today.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always had a visceral rejection of fragrances which cost over $200, knowing that there's just not enough raw materials out there that could even come close to justifying the price. Hell, I visited Satori in Tokyo, who showed me her tub of orris butter, which costs over seventy thousand dollars per kilogram - this is the same stuff she puts in her Iris Homme, and that only costs $180 per 50mL. There's people like her, Andy Tauer, and Bruno Fazzolari who are true artists, making their own fragrances which bear their name and made from the best ingredients they can get their hands on and charging a fraction of most of the exclusive "niche" lines that are either owned by LVMH or have a creative director that wants to put more money into bottle design than the fragrance itself.
Now this is getting interesting. I love what tauer does with his fragrances but it’s cheaper to get his stuff when in Zurich or EU. It’s simply amazing and doesn’t smell crazy. Any other true artisans the rest might be able to share?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always had a visceral rejection of fragrances which cost over $200, knowing that there's just not enough raw materials out there that could even come close to justifying the price.
But it is art, isn't it? The rest is what you pay the artist as compensation for the art part. You could equally say there is not enough paint and canvas on a Rembrandt to justify its price tag... or what about my Kindle books :p (authors would reply that in this case they're not exactly getting the lion's share either)

This is doubly so with reformulations and one-batch-only being the default for most fragrances. Something like Yohji Homme or the original Givenchy Vetiver sells out fast then you are left to wonder what it was like as you're forced to buy reformulations. So even in something that ought to be easy to recreate, there is scarcity, especially as fragrance is something where being a little off in one or the other ingredient throws the entire balance (and therefore, the work) out of the window.

Niche does cut some of the marketing etc. overheads a little but I think the industry is doing itself a disservice by selling the idea of expensive ingredients as a justification for the price of the works. This is an issue affecting all industries overlapping art and craft.

Quesjac

Reaction score
But it is art, isn't it? The rest is what you pay the artist as compensation for the art part. You could equally say there is not enough paint and canvas on a Rembrandt to justify its price tag... or what about my Kindle books :p (authors would reply that in this case they're not exactly getting the lion's share either)

This is doubly so with reformulations and one-batch-only being the default for most fragrances. Something like Yohji Homme or the original Givenchy Vetiver sells out fast then you are left to wonder what it was like as you're forced to buy reformulations. So even in something that ought to be easy to recreate, there is scarcity, especially as fragrance is something where being a little off in one or the other ingredient throws the entire balance (and therefore, the work) out of the window.

Niche does cut some of the marketing etc. overheads a little but I think the industry is doing itself a disservice by selling the idea of expensive ingredients as a justification for the price of the works. This is an issue affecting all industries overlapping art and craft.
I think this is right --- the really interesting thing about fragrance as a 'designer' product (ie. one where we care about design, form, ideas, craft, and yes, brand) is how very far the production is from the design side.

Chandler Burr points out that everyone in the industry has access to a mass spectrometer, and so everyone knows precisely what is in everyone else's formulas. And any competent lab could make anyone else's product by reverse engineering. So on the production side, the cost of ingredients is literally the only thing that distinguishes one product from another. On the design side, the ideas are everything, but the people who do the making don't get their hands dirty. Someone from the Hermes board might sniff at the things Jean-Claude Ellena makes, but they've no idea how they are made. And J-C for his part just sends a list of ingredients and proportions to an industrial chemist who actually makes the things.

So on the one hand, fragrance is almost purely about form (Hermes does not use an artisanal lab to blend Terre D'Hermes, they use exactly the same kind of lab as Tommy Hilfiger's outsourced formulations; it's irrelevant where or by whom the actual juice is made) and on the other hand it's a product that's inseparable from immediate physical sensation, and from the idea of particular ingredients (whether they are really what we perceive them to be or not). Hence all the (apparently rather misguided) hand-wringing about natural ingredients.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Villoresi Musk. This has been a regular in my rotation since I first tried it, I don't know, maybe six or seven years ago. With a lot of my favorite fragrances, I have days where I think "Man, I'm not really feeling that today." But Villoresi Musk always seems right. It's a light, dusty rose potpourri type scent.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads