• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying a sample of Mad Et Len Terre Noire today; it's super boring. at the top it smells like old spice w a little leather, and then quickly becomes a very boilerplate wood and spice scent.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wore vintage Giorgio for Men on Christmas Day, like I almost always do. I also got myself a bottle of New York Intense, which is a simply amazing fragrance - timeless in feel even though it was recently created. If you miss oakmoss in fragrances, then this will scratch your itch.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today tried Eauk Barreur, a relatively new release from 2017. I get saffron, lavender, pink pepper, cocoa, amber, and leather. It's a nice, warm, and slightly spicy scent that vaguely reminds me of some things I've smelled from Patricia de Nicolai. It's interesting and sophisticated, but very wearable. The only thing that puts me off is that I get that slightly dusty, "bottom of the make-up bag" quality that sometimes comes with fragrances containing lavender or iris. Lavender isn't officially listed in the noes, but there's a powdery floral quality somewhere here.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Managed to get hold of a vintage unopened bottle of Derby EdT from someone who clearly didn't know what it was. First time I tried the original formula. Modern Derby is an excellent fragrance, but gosh this is something else. Must be one of the greatest chypres ever made. Great depth and complexity. Love those bergamot and citrus top notes and the long, long drydown with oakmoss, patchouli and leather. Need to get more of this stuff.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Managed to get hold of a vintage unopened bottle of Derby EdT from someone who clearly didn't know what it was. First time I tried the original formula. Modern Derby is an excellent fragrance, but gosh this is something else. Must be one of the greatest chypres ever made. Great depth and complexity. Love those bergamot and citrus top notes and the long, long drydown with oakmoss, patchouli and leather. Need to get more of this stuff.
Great find! wonderful fragrance.

For me tonight its Amouage Memoir Man.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A good price on an old bottle of Derby makes for a good day.

Today I wore Cartier L’Envol, perfect for cool weather.

I got a couple of samples from Le Labo: Tonka 25, which has an extremely strong synthetic and ambroxan base which is in no way by the quickly-disappearing topnotes, and Jasmine 17, which I’ve yet to try.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couteau de Poche Fumabat. I wore it yesterday too. It's weird, it's dark, and it's a little funky. It lasts forever. It reminds me of both Slumberhouse and Sultan Pasha stuff. I just bought a FB, my first of anything since the start of 2017.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couteau de Poche Fumabat. I wore it yesterday too. It's weird, it's dark, and it's a little funky. It lasts forever. It reminds me of both Slumberhouse and Sultan Pasha stuff. I just bought a FB, my first of anything since the start of 2017.
Fumabat was one of my only FB purchases last year as well.

I’ve never heard of this one, but it sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mendittorosa's Archetipo: Mendittorosa's prices are annoyingly high, with most bottles hovering around the $250 mark, but their scents are excellent. This one opens with fir balsam, pink pepper, and incense, and then moves into patchouli, vetiver, amber, and some kind of blond wood. The tiniest hint of oakmoss in the background. It's an atypical take on your traditional "outdoorsy" and "walk in the forest" scent. Slightly sweet and floral, with blond wood, fir balsam, and vetiver dominating.

If I had one criticism, it's that, sometimes, it can smell a bit like a candle. There's even a strange, almost waxy overlay on this.

House of Vartan, FWIW, has a bunch of Mendittorosa's scents on sale right now. Twisted Lily also occasionally discounts them through their sales. My favorites thus far from them are Alfa, North, and this one. Le Mat is also pretty good for a rose, although I don't particularly like rose.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Art de Parfum's Gin and Tonic: I know this will surprise you, but Art de Parfum's Gin and Tonic smells like gin and tonic. It's zesty, fresh, and citrusy. It's refreshing and slightly floral. Bit of melon, cucumber, lemon zest, juniper berry, and grapefruit. In the drydown, there's a tiny hint of vetiver, musk, and ambergris, but they're faint. Marketed as a cologne, but it has EDT strength on me.

A solid fragrance, even if it's not terribly unique, and I can see how someone would like it during the summertime. My only quibble is that there are so many interesting takes on a fizzy champagne-y drink or melon that this one doesn't feel terribly interesting. Off the top of my head, I think I would sooner reach for Masque L'Attesa, DS & Durga's Debaser, or anything from Olfactive Studio, which are equally as wearable as Gin and Tonic, but a bit more interesting. For a $150 50ml bottle, it feels like you could do better, although I don't think anyone would ever be repelled by this scent.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Bought a decant of Guerlain L’homme Ideal EDT and love it. I had samples of the Cologne, this and the EDP in the past. It gets a lot of dislike and it’s probably the synthetics? I haven’t sampled nearly as much as you guys but I can’t think of think of anything else I’ve smelled that’s similar. Maybe slightly softer then I like but I wouldn’t mind a full bottle when this is gone.

Also picked up a decant of Penhaligons Sartorial. I get ginger,pepper and beeswax in the first hour. Then it’s Drakkar Noir like oakmoss and beeswax remaining. Nice but didn’t love it and am happy with the 10mls I own.

The newer Tom Ford’s masculines haves peeked my interest and I think I’m going to seek them out this weekend. Has anyone smelled Fougere D’argent or Beau de Jour?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a decant of Guerlain L’homme Ideal EDT and love it. I had samples of the Cologne, this and the EDP in the past. It gets a lot of dislike and it’s probably the synthetics? I haven’t sampled nearly as much as you guys but I can’t think of think of anything else I’ve smelled that’s similar. Maybe slightly softer then I like but I wouldn’t mind a full bottle when this is gone.

Also picked up a decant of Penhaligons Sartorial. I get ginger,pepper and beeswax in the first hour. Then it’s Drakkar Noir like oakmoss and beeswax remaining. Nice but didn’t love it and am happy with the 10mls I own.

The newer Tom Ford’s masculines haves peeked my interest and I think I’m going to seek them out this weekend. Has anyone smelled Fougere D’argent or Beau de Jour?

I was never able to describe the sweetness I smell from Penahaligon Sartorial. I think it’s beeswax. I have a 100ml bottle and am getting bored of it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The past two days I’ve been wearing Tam Dao EdT, wanting to bring in the New Year with my “first love” when it concerns niche scents. It’s also one of my favorite comfort scents, being bone-dry with a warm glow.

Supergenius

Reaction score
The past two days I’ve been wearing Tam Dao EdT, wanting to bring in the New Year with my “first love” when it concerns niche scents. It’s also one of my favorite comfort scents, being bone-dry with a warm glow.
I love Tam Dao but have been out of it for months. I need to buy some more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads