• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure it is fake now. I think they used some watered down cologne. All of the text is missing from the bottle, it is completely matte and appears painted. Unfortunate. The seller had pretty good ratings.

I don't know if that's fake, but Creed does disappear quickly, compared to fragrances of the same concentration, and (tbh) many smell like watered down colognes. And the packaging is unusually bad for the price point. Boxes are flimsy, caps aren't that sturdy.

It's also not that hard to copy fragrances. I assume Dua has near exact copies of most popular Creeds. It would probably be hard to tell a fake from an original Creed on scent alone, esp since their batches vary so much.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I don't know if that's fake, but Creed does disappear quickly, compared to fragrances of the same concentration, and (tbh) many smell like watered down colognes. And the packaging is unusually bad for the price point. Boxes are flimsy, caps aren't that sturdy.

It's also not that hard to copy fragrances. I assume Dua has near exact copies of most popular Creeds. It would probably be hard to tell a fake from an original Creed on scent alone, esp since their batches vary so much.

There are a few things though that seem to be a dead giveaway:
1. The painted bottle. Black paint rubbed off on my fingers, and there is black paint on the interior of the box.
2. You can see the liquid through the bottle.
3. There is no writing on the bottle, such as the fragrance name on the bottom front of the bottle.
4. The brass sprayer. That should be black.
5. There was no Creed insert about Oliver Creed in the package.

I watched a video by a Creed boutique rep going through common fake bottles, and this hits all of the ones above that he called out.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terrible fake, at least based on what you posted above and my GIT has good to very good longevity.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GIT lasts forever on my skin, so if it disappears quickly it's probably a fake (in addition to the other factors you mentioned). Fragrancenet is a good online source for the real deal at less-than-AD prices. If you don't care about the packaging, Basenotes splits are good as well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maison Margiela's Jazz Club today. This is sweet and slightly fruity, with a bunch of masculine notes at the base. The opening has lemon and neroli; mid and base have tobacco leaf, rum, clary sage, vanilla bean, and a hint of vetiver. I'm not sure how this is supposed to smell like a jazz club, but to the degree it does, it's something like the afterhours. The lemon note hints at a disinefectant cleaner, tobacco hovers in the air, and the rum smells like it's been spilled across a metal table. It's a nice enough scent, but maybe better as a candle. And I wish the fragrance was more evocative of the mood of a jazz club, which this has no real hints of. A bit screechy, slightly metallic, and has the kind of mascauline-note combo that you'd expect in an aftershave.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I am wearing Dunhill Icon. It's another one of their updated barbershop type of classic masculine scents, but this one has a relatively sharp / bitter start (neroli and pepper) which then is smoothed out with lavender and something a bit herbal, before finally giving way to a mossy-vetiver with incense (presumably oud) and a iris that comes to the fore more and more as it dries down.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eau de Patou (vintage) today... a classic "eau," but in the original Patou vibe by Jean Kerleo. So nice... it adds a lot of wonderful oakmoss and civet to the usual citrus "eau." I do NOT recommend buying vintage blind... so many have the top notes OFF. But, if you find it fresh or well preserved, it's a great unisex treat.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations based on what I already like. Perhaps there is a common denominator.

Byredo 1996
Amouage Myths Man
By Kilian Straight to Heaven
Helmut Lang Cuiron
Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mons. de Givenchy, vintage. beautiful masculine chypre

Yeah, this is a great fragrance which has been in the shadow of Chanel Pour Monsieur over the decades. I’m glad I own a bottle because the oak moss is amazing in this one.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sample of Amouage's Reflection Man today - this isn't really like anything else I've tried from the company. It's restrained, even a bit boring. It's pretty much a floral with some citrus on the opening... I've seen some people describing the opening as bitter, but I think they've just been reading the list of ingredients rather than actually paying attention to how it smells on the skin - there appears to be a lot of bullshit in scent reviews just as there is in wine tasting. It's not remotely bitter. It gradually gets more and more powdery and there's a bit of a woody vanilla (and something else a bit artificial and I'm not sure what it is) in the dry-down but it doesn't dominate. It's a well-done modern tribute to the barbershop, but it doesn't do this any better than a lot of other scents like it (almost anything from Dunhill, for example, who specialize in this kind of thing) and it has no real distinguishing element. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do, stay in the background, be polite, not push itself forward at all, but I like my scents to have at least something interesting about them.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations based on what I already like. Perhaps there is a common denominator.

Byredo 1996
Amouage Myths Man
By Kilian Straight to Heaven
Helmut Lang Cuiron
Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack

I don't know the first two. StH, I sampled that and recall it vaguely as a sweetish tobacco-amber concoction, does that sound right? If so, have you tried Slumberhouse Jeke?

Your last two listed are wonderful scents, non-traditional leathers. If you haven't already done so, you ought to sample all of Bruno Fazzolari's things. Some of them are Out There, but 3 stand out to me: Feu Secret (iris, eucalyptus and pepper), Au Dela Narcisse (a modern take on the classic floral chypre genre featuring a beautiful narcissus absolute, and oakmoss) and Five (futuristic beach scent).

Cuiron, like Lampblack, is sui generis. You can try loads of leathers--a great genre--but none combine the fruity notes to leather as this one does. Serge L Daim Blond? Same idea I guess, not nearly as good, imho. Since I can't think of a similar combination of notes, I'd encourage you to try the two other pillars of the HL line, Eau de Cologne and Eau de Parfum. Both understated gems by Maurice Roucel. EDC is, along with Cuiron, a personal favorite.

Roucel, Fazzolari, Josh Lobb. Mentioned all of my favorite noses. hope this is helpful.

I'm ready for spring and so am wearing greens and florals. Today's green is vintage Houbigant Monsieur Musk. Greenery, oakmoss and musk. Simple and yummy. Cheap.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Piotr Czarnecki's Shihan today. Coffee, incense, whisky, tobacco, amber, and cinnamon. Very warm, boozy, and opulent. I really like it, but not 100% sure how I feel about that cinnamon note. Sometimes it feels like it dominates everything else.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been away from this thread for a while, mainly because I've been super busy. I've tried a lot of new scents, though, and I'll try to describe some of them soon.

Today I'm wearing TF Arabian Wood, which has long been a favorite of mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads