• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ultravisitor

Reaction score
i've never tried any Dior scents...any suggestions on where I should start?
Depends on what you like and your budget, honestly. Dior is one of my three favorite houses, and if I had to restrict my collection to a single house, that house would be Dior.

Dior Homme Original is great, though it's not sold in the States anymore, nor are the flankers. The Dior Homme you'll find in stores now is completely different.

Fahrenheit is fantastic. It's a classic that manages to still smell pretty modern. Fahrenheit Parfum is great, but again, it's not sold in the US.

Many of the La Collection Privee fragrances are really fantastic, and they're priced very well compared to other designer exclusives or niche offerings. Unfortunately, however, most of those that I think are the best are no longer sold in the States. Of the ones that are still available here, I'd start with Bois d'Argent and Ambre Nuit. If you like fresher and lighter fragrances, I'd try Balade Sauvage or Eden-Roc.

That's one of the problems with Dior: many of their best fragrances are not available in the US. Over here, they focus so much on Sauvage and its flankers when I really think Sauvage is easily the worst of all of their fragrances.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you like and your budget, honestly. Dior is one of my three favorite houses, and if I had to restrict my collection to a single house, that house would be Dior.

Dior Homme Original is great, though it's not sold in the States anymore, nor are the flankers. The Dior Homme you'll find in stores now is completely different.

Fahrenheit is fantastic. It's a classic that manages to still smell pretty modern. Fahrenheit Parfum is great, but again, it's not sold in the US.

Many of the La Collection Privee fragrances are really fantastic, and they're priced very well compared to other designer exclusives or niche offerings. Unfortunately, however, most of those that I think are the best are no longer sold in the States. Of the ones that are still available here, I'd start with Bois d'Argent and Ambre Nuit. If you like fresher and lighter fragrances, I'd try Balade Sauvage or Eden-Roc.

That's one of the problems with Dior: many of their best fragrances are not available in the US. Over here, they focus so much on Sauvage and its flankers when I really think Sauvage is easily the worst of all of their fragrances.

Interesting. My impression of the Privée Collection is not that positive. Less coherent and more varied in quality compared with Chanel's Les Exclusifs. And the Dior's are reformulated really quickly, which is annoying. But it has been a while since I gave them a go. Maybe it's time to check a few of them out again.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Interesting. My impression of the Privée Collection is not that positive. Less coherent and more varied in quality compared with Chanel's Les Exclusifs. And the Dior's are reformulated really quickly, which is annoying. But it has been a while since I gave them a go. Maybe it's time to check a few of them out again.
It sounds like a question of taste in terms of style. The Diors are much more wearable for me, personally. I don't dress formally all that often, so none of the Chanels are as easy to wear casually as some of the Diors are. And while you say the line is less coherent than Chanel's, I find there to be greater variety in Dior's line.

I definitely don't think Dior's entire exclusive line contains winners, especially when it comes to the newer additions--those are much more hit or miss for me, unlike with the older ones--but not everything has to be to my particular taste, so that's not something I really hold against it.

Karlus72

Reaction score
It sounds like a question of taste in terms of style. The Diors are much more wearable for me, personally. I don't dress formally all that often, so none of the Chanels are as easy to wear casually as some of the Diors are. And while you say the line is less coherent than Chanel's, I find there to be greater variety in Dior's line.

I definitely don't think Dior's entire exclusive line contains winners, especially when it comes to the newer additions--those are much more hit or miss for me, unlike with the older ones--but not everything has to be to my particular taste, so that's not something I really hold against it.
I wear Coromandel and Sycomore casually, cause those ewoke a certain feeling that happens only on certain days, Sycomore reminds me of sunny fall sunday days for some reason, if that makes sense. It all depends on how im feeling a certain day

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I wear Coromandel and Sycomore casually, cause those ewoke a certain feeling that happens only on certain days, Sycomore reminds me of sunny fall sunday days for some reason, if that makes sense. It all depends on how im feeling a certain day
Coromandel exudes too much elegance for me to wear casually, and I don’t think it’s as easy of a wear for men as Prada Midnight Train, which is very similar and with better performance.

Sycomore is kind of the same in that it pairs much more easily with a suit and tie than a t-shirt and jeans—especially compared to Dior Vetiver—with the added bonus of giving me a headache every time I wear it.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
And since we were talking about it and it's an EdT, so better for a warm day, today is Dior Homme (Original).

375x500.13015.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. It's already bought and on its way🤪

I just bought a full bottle which is on its way. It's been a while since I wanted a bottle of something so badly that I was prepared to pay full price and expensive shipping but it's that good.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cowboy Grass. It's a grassy, woody scent. The name kind of gives it away, I guess. I'm amazed at how it works for the office. Also, it helps that it is hot.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Today, I picked Givenchy Insense. Could not have picked a worse day to wear this, as the weather is quite miserable and the complete opposite of what this fragrance is all about. I don't wear this one much, but I'm glad I have a bottle for reference.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, I picked Givenchy Insense. Could not have picked a worse day to wear this, as the weather is quite miserable and the complete opposite of what this fragrance is all about. I don't wear this one much, but I'm glad I have a bottle for reference.

A great, under the radar scent. Recently picked up a couple bottles myself. One to use and one to archive as they are getting more scarce.

shoewarma

Reaction score
A great, under the radar scent. Recently picked up a couple bottles myself. One to use and one to archive as they are getting more scarce.
It really is quite lovely and though rare, it is still somehow available for a very fair price. I've always been curious about the Ultramarine flanker as well.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day in the office at my new job! Decided to go with geranium pour monsieur since it’s warming up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads