• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Slumberhouse fragrances do you like? I’ve been interested in them for a while, but I don’t know where to start. It seems samples are hard to come by.

Slumberhouse is apparently really a one man operation. A guy in Portland, Josh Lobb, does everything himself. Doesn't want to expand, prefers to have full control. Therefore he makes small batches that are gone quickly. Norne was his first big success that made the brand famous. Still the best one of those I have tried. The current version of Norne is not as astonishing as it was from the beginning, but probably a little easier to wear. Hemlock, birch tar, incense, fir. A scent for orcs. I also like Baque, Kiste and Pear & Olive. I would like to try one of his latest scents, Fjerne, but haven't had the chance yet.

Scentsplit usually carry most of the Slumberhouse line but they run out quickly.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Chypre-Siam is my favourite, but I like Mousse and Bon Monsieur as well. I feel that several of the really small indie brands that are suddenly discovered and hyped up (Rogue, Meleg, Slumberhouse, Fazzolari etc) are uneven. Still amazing that they sometimes create wonderful scents with such small resources.
Yeah, I've not tried any fragrances from these names except for Grev by Slumberhouse, which I actually thought was very well done, creative, and of high quality. It smelled like it could've come from a master perfumer working for a large company such as Givaudan or Firmenich. Perhaps Manuel Cross just doesn't have the access or funds to source the best ingredients, but that's not a knock against him. I just find that his work is a bit overrated.

I have to say that Chypre Siam was seriously not to my taste and was underwhelming. I like the lime note in the opening, but the animalic notes and the "furry" feel of the scent just didn't do it for me, but that's because I'm not a fan of animalic fragrances in general.

verver

Reaction score
Wanted to get the city exclusives before they were gone. Got vanille 44 (Paris) for fall/winter, and citron 28 (Seoul) for spring/summer.
Must say, was not impressed w the other city scents
A005D9C1-EB6C-4215-87DA-88B81B7FA877.jpeg

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sotd. Egra from Rasasi. Beautiful fress top pine tree/oakmoss up notes that does not last much longer on my skin. Beautiful but weak in performance Rasasi scent. Happy to say that I have covered succefuly the whole line.
This performance is much better.
IMG-20210927-WA0005.jpeg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This filled a bit of a void in my rotation, especially with winter coming.
I don't have many warm/spicy.
I put some on yesterday, and this morning it's still a fairly strong skin scent.
1632763308816.png

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Which Slumberhouse fragrances do you like? I’ve been interested in them for a while, but I don’t know where to start. It seems samples are hard to come by.
There are lots of places that sell decants of Slumberhouse fragrances, but you have to snatch them up quickly because stock of the actual bottles tends to sell out very quickly.

I've tried a bunch of them and have bottles of Kiste and Baque. Personally, Kiste is my favorite from the brand; I totally fell for it and knew I needed a bottle from the first sniff of a sample I got from Luckyscent. Norne is very popular, but when it comes to coniferous scents, I prefer Arso from Profumum Roma. If you're up for a nice, woody chocolate, try Ore.

There's a definite style to the house. The fragrances are very dense, and as they are extraits, they wear pretty closely. The bottles also might seem tiny at 30ml, but again, they're extraits, so more than one or two sprays can really become too much and the scent will last a very long time.

WavyGravy

Reaction score
There are lots of places that sell decants of Slumberhouse fragrances, but you have to snatch them up quickly because stock of the actual bottles tends to sell out very quickly.

I've tried a bunch of them and have bottles of Kiste and Baque. Personally, Kiste is my favorite from the brand; I totally fell for it and knew I needed a bottle from the first sniff of a sample I got from Luckyscent. Norne is very popular, but when it comes to coniferous scents, I prefer Arso from Profumum Roma. If you're up for a nice, woody chocolate, try Ore.

There's a definite style to the house. The fragrances are very dense, and as they are extraits, they wear pretty closely. The bottles also might seem tiny at 30ml, but again, they're extraits, so more than one or two sprays can really become too much and the scent will last a very long time.
Ok, thanks for the info. I think he has a new release coming out relatively soon. Maybe I will check that one out.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to smell some slumberhouse as well. Why are they all seemingly limited editions? Is it scarcity of ingredients or limited for limited sake?

WavyGravy

Reaction score
I'd like to smell some slumberhouse as well. Why are they all seemingly limited editions? Is it scarcity of ingredients or limited for limited sake?
Some of his Instagram posts suggest it has to do with scarcity of ingredients.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info. I think he has a new release coming out relatively soon. Maybe I will check that one out.
Don't count on his releases coming out when he says they will. They are often delayed for a variety of reasons, and again, that's likely partly because he's the only one running the brand. A lot of people get their hopes up when he announces an upcoming release, and they're always bitching when he misses the window he announced for the release.

And don't pay a ton of money for them on eBay, either. They're really not worth what people are paying for them, but there are A LOT of people who suffer from FOMO.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean there are plenty of indie one man operations that have regular lines and don’t have issues filling orders. It’s a bit curious. I get the feeling he limits supply to artificially inflate the price. I could be completely wrong however

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads