• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sauvage is a nice perfume but does not say much to me, very safe one of course. I bought a bottle of Eau de Baux to smell something different (some orientalize wise sweet vanilla?). I really liked for colder weather. I went too for two sort of cheap blind buys from Rasasi; Dhanal Oudh Nashwah & Faqat Lil Rijad. After summer I might buy SMN Pachuli and Guerlain Heritage (love them).

SOTD. Armaf Tres Nuit. It does the job for me in hot summer time. Although really nice, none of the Creed fragances offer on me a good value proposition.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sauvage is a nice perfume but does not say much to me, very safe one of course. I bought a bottle of Eau de Baux to smell something different (some orientalize wise sweet vanilla?). I really liked for colder weather. I went too for two sort of cheap blind buys from Rasasi; Dhanal Oudh Nashwah & Faqat Lil Rijad. After summer I might buy SMN Pachuli and Guerlain Heritage (love them).

SOTD. Armaf Tres Nuit. It does the job for me in hot summer time. Although really nice, none of the Creed fragances offer on me a good value proposition.
I think i know what you mean about sauvage. What i like is i hate ever having to make a choice and it hits just enough of so many different things that i am very content. (Decent price, too)

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not suprisingly, i found in time that 99% of fashion or so called Perfume brands dont make very long lasting fragrances. It is done on purpose to make them last less time and increase the repurchasing.
The longest lasting perfumes that I had exp. with have been:
Joe Malone
Galimard
Fragonard
Molinard

shoewarma

Reaction score
The longest lasting perfumes that I had exp. with have been:
Joe Malone
That can't be right. Jo Malone is notorious for being short-lived scented water, but then again, I haven't sampled their entire line.

Poor longevity is kind of annoying, but I've learned to embrace it. I have noticed that I would much rather have the ability to wear a few different fragrances throughout the day, as some tend to overstay their welcome, regardless of how much I enjoy them.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That can't be right. Jo Malone is notorious for being short-lived scented water, but then again, I haven't sampled their entire line.

Poor longevity is kind of annoying, but I've learned to embrace it. I have noticed that I would much rather have the ability to wear a few different fragrances throughout the day, as some tend to overstay their welcome, regardless of how much I enjoy them.

Agreed on both points. While longevity can be a great characteristic in general, focusing too much on it one risks excluding a lot of pretty amazing fragrances that make up for lack of longevity with quality, uniqueness, and straight out brilliance - Guerlain's Eau de Guerlain comes to mind.

Serious longevity is typically achieved with heavy use of aromachemicals - a primary reason I sold off most of what I had from Frederic Malle. While very well composed and balanced, they were just too oversaturated chem bombs.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Serious longevity is typically achieved with heavy use of aromachemicals - a primary reason I sold off most of what I had from Frederic Malle. While very well composed and balanced, they were just too oversaturated chem bombs.
That's a good point. "Oversaturated" is a good way to describe FM fragrances, and I definitely prefer their lighter-smelling masculine offerings. Geranium Pour Monsieur is a perfect balance of concentration and surprisingly good staying power.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. "Oversaturated" is a good way to describe FM fragrances, and I definitely prefer their lighter-smelling masculine offerings. Geranium Pour Monsieur is a perfect balance of concentration and surprisingly good staying power.

Agreed on GPM from Malle. I kept some Bois D'Orage/French Lover because I just love that scent.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're having Santal 33 weather in SoCal, so I'm doubling down and wearing it again today...

shoewarma

Reaction score
Agreed on GPM from Malle. I kept some Bois D'Orage/French Lover because I just love that scent.
After 3 years of testing French Lover on-and-off, I'm still not sure what I actually think of it. Sometimes I love it and think it's genius, then other times I think it's too monotonous. Still though, it's an extremely wearable and distinctive scent.

Last edited:

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tried this today, got a sample, might get a full bottle, bottle is especially appealing!

1627162535237.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads