• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. did you try Creed Erolfa?
Nope, by that time I had only one patch of scentless skin left.
I wanted to try Roja Danger, but they didn't have it.
The Creed girl went on a rant over how much better they were than Roja.
She was cute, so I let her run with it...

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there’s a recent mini-documentary on th perfumer, Marc Antoine Corticchiato (not sure if subtitles are available if you don’t speak French), he speaks about the challenge in making this perfume without relying on calone:

I promptly ordered some Parfum D’empire samples after watching it, they came in today, sprayed a little immortelle corse on, so so good, super wearable for an immortelle based fragrance, warm and a little honeyed at the start, not as “spicy” or dry as Sables, not as strong as eau noire. Parfum d’empire really is a fantastic house.

I think that the first half hour of Scandola was, as you wrote, pretty phenomenal. The combination of herbs, citrus and sea salt perfectly balanced. The problem for me was that after that it quickly turned into a powdery skin scent. But I need to try it more.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If he cannot make perfume without using calone there is a 100% probably that I will hate his fragrances. Calone sucks.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ was only referring to Acqua de scandola, his “aquatic” ? I don’t detect câline in any of the others I’ve tried (Le cri de la lumière, musc Tonkin, azemour, ambre russe, tabac tabou, œillères (for Roberto greco))

Last edited:

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that Corticchiato can't make a perfume with calone. He spent three years specifically to develop an alternate material. What resulted, IMHO, is more subtle and complex at the same time. Calone would have been the generic easy reach.

I don't mind calone, but have not owned a calone - dominant fragrance since my bottle of Kenzo I had in the mid 80's.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sprayed Sauvage this morning, smiled and then thought of my SF haters: Your words are like bullets. They pass right through me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ was only referring to Acqua de scandola, his “aquatic” ? I don’t detect câline in any of the others I’ve tried (Le cri de la lumière, musc Tonkin, azemour, ambre russe, tabac tabou, œillères (for Roberto greco))
Ahh, apologies, I got you. I quite like the Robert Greco one.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These should be arriving Friday.

Tobacco Mandarin - 2ml Glass Spray1BYREDOVelvet Haze - 1ml Sample1ARMANIAcqua di Gio Profumo - 2ml Glass Spray1CREEDRoyal Water - 2ml Glass Spray1BYREDORose Of No Man`s Land - 2ml Glass Spray1

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he cannot make perfume without using calone there is a 100% probably that I will hate his fragrances. Calone sucks.

How do you determine whether it contains Calone?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a very specific marine/acquatic ingredient that's pretty distinct. If you smell the raw ingredient it will be very apparent. Some people like it, but marine stuff really isn't my jam.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I gave you three chances to guess what Johnny-Depp-endorsed Dior fragrance I am wearing would you be able to guess correctly?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today called for a long lost warm weather gem, Cinquantoquattro by Profumo di Firenze 1954 (not to be confused with the house I Profumi di Firenze). Profumo di Firenze 1954 was a brand founded by Enzo Galardi from an Italian lineage of family perfumers that made their first fragrance in 1954. The brand was not around long, and was a Barney's exclusive.

Cinquantoquattro EDP was launched in 2010. A super beautiful citrus aromatic, with some greeness and white florals, white tea and Atlas cedar in the base. Fantastic, seamless composition, and great longevity even through a warm day's wearing.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing Terre d'Hermes today. So classic. There's a touch of fall in the air in the US Northeast, and I love the masculinity, woodsiness, and class that this cologne exudes.

Yesterday I wore their Paprika Brasil which is a rather edgy fragrance to me. Obviously, very spicy and sort of distracting to my mindset. I suppose that's why I have a deluge of samples of this one!

I recall wearing Voyage d'Hermes a while back as lighter fare, but can't recall too much about it except somewhat distinct and again an easy wearer.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Azzaro pour Homme

375x500.829.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads