• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also noted through the day's wearing, that the newer version held onto that sharpness for what seemed like many hours longer than the original PB version - where the PB version softened much more quickly and transitioned to a really nice dry down where a warm ambery/vanilla came into balance with the other notes, but nothing dominated. Based on this, I personally prefer the original version. And I still smell both as a skin scent, with maybe the newer version being ever so slightly more faint.

Seems that many TF PB fragrances have been rotated down out of the Private Blend line, into the Signature collection, such as Costa Azzurra. I guess Estee Lauder/TF could be taking a bet that selling more volume at a lower price, and even at a lower margin, could pay off. However, I would doubt they would do so without serious consideration, calculation, and effort into esuring these new bottlings maintain as much profitability as possible, while also maintaining the essential nature of the fragrances. I would suspect they have tweaked the compositions towards that goal.

I think it's even simpler than that: the PB fragrances are less complex and are meant to be worn either as unique scents on their own or layered with one another. The signature line is for those that are more complete, and seemingly for those who want solid, office-type scents but nothing too experimental.

BdJ was launched as a PB, but they probably realized that with just a bit more lavender (or whatever) it could easily be a signature fragrance.

Personally, for all the compliments I've gotten with BdJ and others of that variety, I vastly prefer Fougere d'Argent. The former is greener and more floral, and the patchouli base makes for a very fresh fragrance - uplifting, really. The fougere is woodier, slightly spicy, and I love the coumarin base. It's something that suits me for either day or evening.

On another note (hehehe), I'm enjoying Santal Blush today. There's something just masculine enough in it to make this one quite unisex, imo. Works for me anyway.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn many Creeds and I don't really know much about fragrances but one of the things I've found about Creeds is they seem like a good turkey sub or whatever. They are fine, often good. You won't really have any complaints about them but...
Man, that is a GREAT analogy.
But a turkey sub is dry and tasteless, and only ordered by people who are eating healthy. :confused2: At least make Creed a juicy, medium-rare bacon cheeseburger. Everybody loves a good bacon cheeseburger even though they're never mind-blowing.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eau de Minthé Diptyque for me today. Perfect for warm NYC weather. It's not very strong smelling, and I wish it projected a bit more.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eau de Minthé Diptyque for me today. Perfect for warm NYC weather. It's not very strong smelling, and I wish it projected a bit more.

Last time I was in the shop they gave me a few samples of this because it had just released and I remember enjoying it a lot. However I also remember how short-lived it was on me.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Christian Dior Vetiver

It's summer, this is a great summer fragrance, and the bottle I have is 250ml, so why the hell not?

375x500.10632.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marathon shopping session yesterday, including many to-go cocktails to sip while we shopped.
My friend stopped by Le Labo to pick up some Santal 33. I realize it's popular, but I've never tried it.
CS hooked me up with samples.
It's very nice.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous, sunny day and 18C outside.

equipage-eau-de-toilette--38308-front-1-300-0-600-600_b.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christian Dior Fahrenheit

375x500.228.jpg

That one's just an easy pick, always.

I'm going to give Hermes - Eau d'Orange Verte a try today. I like Eau de Citron Noir for summer, and I understand this other one is greener/mossier.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
That one's just an easy pick, always.
I was just thinking earlier that I really don't wear it enough. Part of me just doesn't want the shine of it to rub off. What makes it even better that I wore it today is that I was out walking around earlier and it started to rain. It's such a great fragrance in the rain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads