• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear about what you gents love about this. I recently picked up a small tester off Ebay and not sure it's the real deal as it doesn't strike me as particularly distinctive.

It's a solid cypress fragrance. Kind of minty too. Some people go nuts over it, but I never liked it on me as much as Tuscan Leather, for instance.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuscan Leather is arguably my favorite.
But I do like it, and find it's a nice change of pace in the rotation.

Of course. That's just my own preference - fragrances are so personal that you can't really make sweeping statements about anything unless they're very bad or really great.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongly disagree with you on this one. I find the newer version to be equally competent. I really didn't find a noticeable difference from the Private Blend edition, and I think people sometimes don't realize the huge bias that the repackaging of a fragrance creates on one's opinions.

So, today I'm trying the original Private Blend Beau de Jour on one arm and the newer Signature version on the other. Have had them on just over an hour and you're right - they are very, very similar. In the first 20-30 minutes I noticed the lavender in the Private Blend version being slightly less sharp, and the transition is staying subtly creamier through these first 90-minutes.

What I don't get is the business decision to keep the fragrance, re-release it in the lower-tier line and drop the price by half?

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Creed Aventus

Kind of crazy how I thought this was so incredible when I first got it about a decade ago, but now I feel like it's really sort of basic. It's still good...but kind of basic.

375x500.9828.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creed Aventus

Kind of crazy how I thought this was so incredible when I first got it about a decade ago, but now I feel like it's really sort of basic. It's still good...but kind of basic.

375x500.9828.jpg

I remember when I thought Bond Wall Street was all that :)

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I remember when I thought Bond Wall Street was all that :)
Ah. For me when it comes to Bond No. 9, it was Chez Bond. It's still a perfectly pleasant fragrance, and people always love it when I wear it, but these days it never really strikes the imagination.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Creed Aventus

375x500.9828.jpg
I haven't worn many Creeds and I don't really know much about fragrances but one of the things I've found about Creeds is they seem like a good turkey sub or whatever. They are fine, often good. You won't really have any complaints about them but...

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I haven't worn many Creeds and I don't really know much about fragrances but one of the things I've found about Creeds is they seem like a good turkey sub or whatever. They are fine, often good. You won't really have any complaints about them but...
Man, that is a GREAT analogy.

shoewarma

Reaction score
So, today I'm trying the original Private Blend Beau de Jour on one arm and the newer Signature version on the other. Have had them on just over an hour and you're right - they are very, very similar. In the first 20-30 minutes I noticed the lavender in the Private Blend version being slightly less sharp, and the transition is staying subtly creamier through these first 90-minutes.

What I don't get is the business decision to keep the fragrance, re-release it in the lower-tier line and drop the price by half?
Yep, you're bang on. I only have a decant of the Private Blend Beau de Jour, but the only difference that I can maybe detect is that it's slightly more creamy in the early stages, whereas the newer version has a slightly more dry, aromatic mintiness. That about it though. They're both very creamy and minty fougeres that are practically 99.9% identical. I don't find the PB worth the current aski g price, if I'm honest.

I agree with you on the second point. Perhaps the decrease in price could actually stimulate more sales or something, because I can't imagine the molecules that go into PB fragrances being any different or more costly than those in the regular lineup.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. I've sampled many Creeds in NM, a number of times. I was seduced enough by Aventus enough to consider buying, until I got a ripping headache from it. I've even been lucky enough to smell a bunch of the much-heralded "Vaulted" Creeds, and some from the Private Collection. Overall, they are nice, but for the prices seems like a worse proposition than Tom Ford and runner up to MFK.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, you're bang on. I only have a decant of the Private Blend Beau de Jour, but the only difference that I can maybe detect is that it's slightly more creamy in the early stages, whereas the newer version has a slightly more dry, aromatic mintiness. That about it though. They're both very creamy and minty fougeres that are practically 99.9% identical. I don't find the PB worth the current aski g price, if I'm honest.

I agree with you on the second point. Perhaps the decrease in price could actually stimulate more sales or something, because I can't imagine the molecules that go into PB fragrances being any different or more costly than those in the regular lineup.

I also noted through the day's wearing, that the newer version held onto that sharpness for what seemed like many hours longer than the original PB version - where the PB version softened much more quickly and transitioned to a really nice dry down where a warm ambery/vanilla came into balance with the other notes, but nothing dominated. Based on this, I personally prefer the original version. And I still smell both as a skin scent, with maybe the newer version being ever so slightly more faint.

Seems that many TF PB fragrances have been rotated down out of the Private Blend line, into the Signature collection, such as Costa Azzurra. I guess Estee Lauder/TF could be taking a bet that selling more volume at a lower price, and even at a lower margin, could pay off. However, I would doubt they would do so without serious consideration, calculation, and effort into esuring these new bottlings maintain as much profitability as possible, while also maintaining the essential nature of the fragrances. I would suspect they have tweaked the compositions towards that goal.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Christian Dior Ambre Nuit

I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of this, unlike Aventus. Whenever I haven't worn it in a while, I start thinking that I might be over it, but then when I wear it again, it pulls me right back in.

375x500.48395.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads