• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I blind bought some Antonio Banderas "Blue Seduction" b/c bros on YouTube were going nuts over it. Scent lasted about 45 minutes.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicolaï Neroli Intense today. Love a good neroli when the weather gets warmer. This one is nice and very true to neroli, but maybe a little too simple. I prefer Nicolaï's Cap Neroli, where the addition of spices and greens give more depth.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicolaï Neroli Intense today. Love a good neroli when the weather gets warmer. This one is nice and very true to neroli, but maybe a little too simple. I prefer Nicolaï's Cap Neroli, where the addition of spices and greens give more depth.

I have really tried to love Patricia de Nicolai's work and bought New York Intense a few years back after reading LT's glowing reviews. I have a ton of respect for her pedigree and training. Alas, I ended up selling NY Intense because I couldn't handle the distinct powdery accord. Also have sampled a majority of her line.

There' some aromachemical I've picked up on across her line, that I suspect must be part of her personal version of "Guerlinade": it comes across as a scratchy green/woody note that doesn't sit well with me and seems like I must have a sensitivity too.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I blind bought some Antonio Banderas "Blue Seduction" b/c bros on YouTube were going nuts over it. Scent lasted about 45 minutes.
Your first mistake was listening to bros on YouTube.

Today I felt like wearing Bogart Pour Homme. I don't know what it is because I'm normally not a fan of such scents and openly voice my disdain for tonka bean-heavy scents, but I just really like this one. It's powerful, but not cloying, and that's a huge bonus. Cheapies tend to be fun for a short while, and then become boring, and once they become boring, there's no way back for them. But, this one is a really cool fragrance and works wonders when you're in the mood for something potent.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your first mistake was listening to bros on YouTube.

Agreed.

Wore a new acquisition today - Le Loden from the Parisian house of Jacques Fath. A pretty stunning vetiver fragrance.

At first opening I thought it was going to be a less smoky carbon copy of Encre Noir, but it transitions into a beautifully evolving middle and drydown. Some ginger and green mandarin give the opening a unique dimension, along with all three vetivers in the composition: Haitian, Bourbon, and Java. Not huge silliage, or longevity, but really really nice. Probably my next favorite vetiver next to Guerlain's.

WavyGravy

Reaction score
Bortnikoff Triad today. I wore it to an outdoor dinner (first time eating out in a year). It was very cold and windy and the scent disappeared from my skin in an hour. I didn’t get much of the oud from it—the top note is mostly rose and it disappeared in the weather before I could experience the dry down. Will have to try again.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have really tried to love Patricia de Nicolai's work and bought New York Intense a few years back after reading LT's glowing reviews. I have a ton of respect for her pedigree and training. Alas, I ended up selling NY Intense because I couldn't handle the distinct powdery accord. Also have sampled a majority of her line.

There' some aromachemical I've picked up on across her line, that I suspect must be part of her personal version of "Guerlinade": it comes across as a scratchy green/woody note that doesn't sit well with me and seems like I must have a sensitivity too.

Interesting. I’m a fan of Nicolai’s line. Maybe it’s because I like the slightly old fashioned powdery aspects. But it’s interesting with the personal sensitivities we all have. I have tried several scents in the Hiram Green range, including critically acclaimed scents like Hyde and Slowdive, but they all have a sweet accord that I have difficulties with. Doesnt matter if its prominent (Slowdive) or hidden in the background (Hyde), I react to it immediately.

WavyGravy

Reaction score

I think I would keep NY Intense if I was only allowed one scent and had to get rid of everything else.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whispers in the Library.

Of the Maison Margiela scents I own (by the fireplace and coffee break) this is the most subtle. Subtle might not be the right word but the others are all very heavy on either the lavender or the sweetness. Not that this one isn't.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is this is a good cold-weather weekend scent. I put maybe a quarter spritz on each wrist and that is definitely sufficient.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whispers in the Library.

Of the Maison Margiela scents I own (by the fireplace and coffee break) this is the most subtle. Subtle might not be the right word but the others are all very heavy on either the lavender or the sweetness. Not that this one isn't.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is this is a good cold-weather weekend scent. I put maybe a quarter spritz on each wrist and that is definitely sufficient.
I've pre-ordered Quiet Fart in Church...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm using the last of my Creed's Vetiver (the one before Original Vetiver). So, the original (little o) Creed Vetiver.

With warmer weather coming on, I'll probably go back to Penhaligon's Quercus.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I left out the sample of Radio Bombay so I sprayed it again today. I made sure so spray a bit more and OK I kind of get a little bit of coconut husk scent. Some ambergris, too. I would not buy a bottle of this.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sample of Sultan Pasha's Juriah. I hear that rose+oud is a really common combo, and smelling this I can tell why. S'nice and complex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads