• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Thanks, gents :) I think I’m going to give the Mandarino di Amalfi a whirl first, as Tom Ford has never let me down. Immediately after posting I actually ordered a bottle of CK One as it was even cheaper than I expected, so I’ll get to relive a little of my past while trying something new :)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mandarino di Amalfi is so good. It is a really evocative fragrance (for me).

I sprayed Mazzolari Eau de Toilette. This is good. Supposedly there is a lot of sandalwood in this but I don't know it's more grassy, springy-like than woody to me.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
For an alternative, I would do Frederic Malle's Cologne Indellebile.

As I knew I would all along, I pulled the trigger on a decant of Indélébile. My fate was sealed when I stumbled on last week’s post from Simon Crompton naming it as one of the three scents he kept when he slimmed down his collection. I’m powerless to resist multiple recommendations. It feels like the world is trying to send me a message.

Eau de Rochas Homme

I also grabbed a bottle of this, because as mhip points out it’s cheap as chips. I think I’m now well prepared for the next half dozen summers :)

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I trust you and blind bought some...
It's like, super cheap?
Yes, inexpensive. Yes, Designer. Just discovered this recently and have the contemporary as well as original (1993) version.

I've been on a hunt for the past several years for go-to warm weather fragrances, as most citrus-based stuff either turns overly soapy on my skin, or falls apart after 30 minutes. What I love about this Rochas is how bright and clean it comes across, especially in the opening aided by aldehydes (used with proper discretion), while a green herbaceous basil/lemon verbena note gives the opening a beautiful and refined balance and body.

Any citrus that stays clean and unmuddled on my skin goes a long way in my book. This one does that, but goes further with a perfectly restrained floral and spice heart, lending richness and interest, and supported with a woody, warm base composed perfectly to elevate the entire composition.

A truly informed description of Eau de Rochas, along with placement in relevant context of fragrance evolution of the time, is here from the Scented Devil/Varanis Ridari blog.

I notice very subtle differences from the vintage to the contemporary versions, with the vintage exhibiting a bit rounder and warmer middle, while the contemporary stays brighter, greener with the citrus staying more prominent through a wearing - though some of this could be due to time in the bottle/age of the vintage.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I think the Eau de Rochas is going to help me cover my tracks this month. My wife doesn’t really care about fragrances. The only one she uses is L’eau d’Issey, and as a result she isn’t really aware that this stuff can get reeeeeeeally pricey. In a few weeks time I’m going to get a box filled with Creed Royal Oud and Green Irish Tweed, the TF Mandarino, the FM Indelebile, a bottle of CK One and the Eau de Rochas. If this attracts comment I’ll be able to drop the CK and Rochas like a Kreiger smoke bomb, yelling “They only cost $20!” as I flee the room :)

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Eau de Rochas is going to help me cover my tracks this month. My wife doesn’t really care about fragrances. The only one she uses is L’eau d’Issey, and as a result she isn’t really aware that this stuff can get reeeeeeeally pricey. In a few weeks time I’m going to get a box filled with Creed Royal Oud and Green Irish Tweed, the TF Mandarino, the FM Indelebile, a bottle of CK One and the Eau de Rochas. If this attracts comment I’ll be able to drop the CK and Rochas like a Kreiger smoke bomb, yelling “They only cost $20!” as I flee the room :)
Ah yes. Just wait until you get sucked into vintage vortex...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Cologne Indelebile, but I don't find it all that interesting. To my nose it smells like Neroli Portofino with a musky backbone. For Dominique Ropion creations, I much prefer Vetiver Extraordinaire and Geranium Pour Monsieur.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Ah yes. Just wait until you get sucked into vintage vortex...

I’m praying for a swift end to this pandemic to avoid stuff like that. In non-pandemic times we move twice a year between Mongolia and Thailand, which keeps a lid on my hoarding impulse and forces me to restrict myself to a couple of favourites that can be tossed in a wash bag for the journey. We’ve now been stuck in Mongolia for almost two years, and the contents of my bathroom cabinet (and wardrobe, and shoe collection) have swollen to a size that causes me genuine concern. The 20KG luggage allowance I’ll face when we finally leave now seems like something of a sick joke :p

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, inexpensive. Yes, Designer. Just discovered this recently and have the contemporary as well as original (1993) version.

I've been on a hunt for the past several years for go-to warm weather fragrances, as most citrus-based stuff either turns overly soapy on my skin, or falls apart after 30 minutes. What I love about this Rochas is how bright and clean it comes across, especially in the opening aided by aldehydes (used with proper discretion), while a green herbaceous basil/lemon verbena note gives the opening a beautiful and refined balance and body.

Any citrus that stays clean and unmuddled on my skin goes a long way in my book. This one does that, but goes further with a perfectly restrained floral and spice heart, lending richness and interest, and supported with a woody, warm base composed perfectly to elevate the entire composition.

A truly informed description of Eau de Rochas, along with placement in relevant context of fragrance evolution of the time, is here from the Scented Devil/Varanis Ridari blog.

I notice very subtle differences from the vintage to the contemporary versions, with the vintage exhibiting a bit rounder and warmer middle, while the contemporary stays brighter, greener with the citrus staying more prominent through a wearing - though some of this could be due to time in the bottle/age of the vintage.
Do you have alvarez gomez colonia de aqua? I bought a bottle for $7 and at that price it's easily the best per spray cologne. Its also just very good.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Getting back in the fragrance game with this. Smells good but traditional

IMG_20210411_220044.jpg

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m praying for a swift end to this pandemic to avoid stuff like that. In non-pandemic times we move twice a year between Mongolia and Thailand, which keeps a lid on my hoarding impulse and forces me to restrict myself to a couple of favourites that can be tossed in a wash bag for the journey. We’ve now been stuck in Mongolia for almost two years, and the contents of my bathroom cabinet (and wardrobe, and shoe collection) have swollen to a size that causes me genuine concern. The 20KG luggage allowance I’ll face when we finally leave now seems like something of a sick joke :p

Wow, yes those moves would pose some serious challenges! Though my mention of vintage was primarily around cost compared to contemporary new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads