• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* Fabulous today.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was Di Ser Mizu.

Gonna buy a bottle.

Today is Musk by Bortnikoff. It's nice. But I wouldn't know what's different between this and the other floral Bortnikoff's I've worn.
I have some Bortnikoff samples that I've yet to try from Luckyscent, but my opinion has already been colored. $350 for 50ml? It should knock my socks off, because there's incredible work being done at a lower price.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some Bortnikoff samples that I've yet to try from Luckyscent, but my opinion has already been colored. $350 for 50ml? It should knock my socks off, because there's incredible work being done at a lower price.
Holy hell that's how much they cost for a full bottle? Yeah that's an no from me, dawg.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blind bought DS Durga St Vetyver and it came yesterday.

Really nice balance of burnt orange citrus, strong vetiver, and some smokiness. I'd say this is right in the middle between Terre d'hermes for citrus, and Le labo vetiver for that strong vetiver. I have all 3 now and compared.

Definitely recommend!

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1970's Guerlain Vetiver EDC today. Just perfect for the beginning of spring and after a light rain last night. The modern version has held very true to this vintage version. Could be the age, but the vintage is less sharp in the opening, smoother around the edges and just so well integrated. Classic.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be fair, they are all extraits except for the $220 colognes (which are edp's). Also many of these are using ingredients he distills and produces himself, not bought off the shelf, not to mention the real ouds used and sometimes personally distills also. They aren't for everybody, but that's the reason for the cost, it isn't one of those Lux brands that is expensive for expensive sake.

Curious, what styles of fragrances do you enjoy?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, they are all extraits except for the $220 colognes (which are edp's). Also many of these are using ingredients he distills and produces himself, not bought off the shelf, not to mention the real ouds used and sometimes personally distills also. They aren't for everybody, but that's the reason for the cost, it isn't one of those Lux brands that is expensive for expensive sake.

Curious, what styles of fragrances do you enjoy?
My interest in fragrance started in the pandemic, so I'm still figuring myself out. But, I generally like orientals. I can appreciate Bortnikoff's use of real ouds and distilling it himself and so on...yet Russian Adam of Areej le Dore also does these things, and I like his fragrances way more (and they're also a little less expensive). If anything, distilling your own oud should be a cost saving mechanism because you have cut out the middleman, no? And correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that the type of oud (Hindi vs. Cambodian vs. etc.) matters more than the distillation process (as long as it is done decently).

In any case, I tried Musk Khabib the other day and it was certainly nice, but again, not nice enough for the price. Also recently blind bought a bottle of Nasomatto's Black Afghano from Walmart(!) and I really like it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, the oud thing is hard. Every part of the process makes a difference, but the main difference aside from location is the age of the tree and age of infection, but still a lot of the "store bought" quality ouds aren't the same, but I hear you on Bortnikoff. It isn't for everybody and I definitely don't like them across the board as I have with what I have experienced with Areej. However, it is worth bringing up that Areej on an $/ml is actually a tad more expensive than Bortnikoff and a lot more expensive on the most recent Chinese Oud release. Then again having more of a fragrance (Bortnikoff) that is cheaper on a $/ml but you are ho hum on isn't worthwhile at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the oud thing is hard. Every part of the process makes a difference, but the main difference aside from location is the age of the tree and age of infection, but still a lot of the "store bought" quality ouds aren't the same, but I hear you on Bortnikoff. It isn't for everybody and I definitely don't like them across the board as I have with what I have experienced with Areej. However, it is worth bringing up that Areej on an $/ml is actually a tad more expensive than Bortnikoff and a lot more expensive on the most recent Chinese Oud release. Then again having more of a fragrance (Bortnikoff) that is cheaper on a $/ml isn't worthwhile at the end of the day.

Yeah I think it's important to think about how much of a typical niche fragrance you really need. I also haven't tried a lot of Bortnikoff so I'm willing to change my opinion. I've heard some good things about Oud Loukoum, and it seem Luckyscent is selling 9ml sets. Getting these smaller sets might be the way to go as things go forward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads