• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, for some reason, got 2 samples of it in. To me it sort of smells like a rich old man's couch on a yacht after the yacht capsized and the couch was recovered. I'd say the site's notes of it being a woody marine fougere are accurate. I'm still new to exploring fragrances so the marine notes are the most interesting part to me. Not foul, definitely interesting, but unsure if I'll grab a bottle. I'll have to try Zoologist's Squid and see which one I like more.

EDIT: After about an hour and a half I'd say the maritime notes have died down and now support the buttery vanilla and patchouli accord. Not really pulling out any distinct pine or leather anymore (but again, novice nose). Pleasant.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine scenario wherein one would glean the experience of knowing what an old, rich man's couch, yachted or basemented, would possibly smell like.

All I can imagine is someone hiding behind the couch until the old guy leaves, then pouncing and burying a nose on the cushion. It's a weird scenario.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine scenario wherein one would glean the experience of knowing what an old, rich man's couch, yachted or basemented, would possibly smell like.

All I can imagine is someone hiding behind the couch until the old guy leaves, then pouncing and burying a nose on the cushion. It's a weird scenario.
Well, in my kid's defense, she did state that the couch had never been sat upon.
And she would never bury her nose in a cushion that was.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

castingcouch.com

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone sample anything from francesca bianchi?

The only one I've tried is Etruscan Water and that is pretty brilliant. Classic chypre in the way they used to make them.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a massive thunderstorm 430-630AM now it is sunny and 69 (nice).

Anyway long way of saying Mandarino di Amalfi doesn't work during the dead of winter but today is a respite from that and I kind of like Mandarino di Amalfi. Although it does make me wish i were, say, on the Amalfi coast and not working.

Thanks to @Nikos for recommending the fragrance. I think of you whenever I spray the juice all over me...

shoewarma

Reaction score
Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo today. Not exactly complementary to the current weather conditions here, but I felt like wearing it. The vintage that I have is extremely sharp, herbaceous, and camphorous, as opposed to the current version, which relies on the lemon, vetiver, and bay leaf spiciness. Somewhat comparable, but they are quite different from one another. If I'm honest, I think I prefer the current iteration because at times, the sharpness can be quite overwhelming. Nonetheless, a great scent overall and offers great bang for buck.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing Squid by Zoologist. Really weird - smells like ink and incense, but it's an aquatic fragrance. Lots of amber and benzoin. Like Cthulhu rose up from the sea and attacked an old church by the shore.

I think Homesick is more wearable as an aquatic frag, but this makes me actually want to sniff my arm because its so different. I'll have to wear it a couple days and see if it turns into a full bottle buy.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Mythique Vetyver today. So far it’s pretty much exactly as it sounds, pretty bright opening and softens into some flowers. Pretty nice overall but the weather might be a little too cold for it at the moment.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Squid by Zoologist. Really weird - smells like ink and incense, but it's an aquatic fragrance. Lots of amber and benzoin. Like Cthulhu rose up from the sea and attacked an old church by the shore.

I think Homesick is more wearable as an aquatic frag, but this makes me actually want to sniff my arm because its so different. I'll have to wear it a couple days and see if it turns into a full bottle buy.

Zoologist is one of the few players today that can make stuff that smells like nothing else, but still nice. Bat is one of my all time favourites.

Havent tried Squid but it sounds like I have to.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zoologist is one of the few players today that can make stuff that smells like nothing else, but still nice. Bat is one of my all time favourites.

Havent tried Squid but it sounds like I have to.

Ive only tried T-Rex and musk deer. I’m not a huge fan of T-Rex but I had my dad try it on and he loved it. Although I love musk deer! I’ll have to try the others

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
T-Rex is one of the ones that jumped out at me at no surprise because it is Gardoni. I also like hyrax, and Nightingale.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If had either

1) not bought 20 samples the other fay or
2) joined the GME madness id get some zoologist samples

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads