• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got to try this new scent today from The Observer Collection, which is a small line of bags and accessories by Rober Spangle, the fashion photographer behind Thousand Yard Style. The scent was composed by a Parisian perfumer named Will Inrig. The container was designed by Robert.

I mostly got green moss growing on a wet, cold stone. There's a bit of ambergris in there to give it a marine note. In the dry down, the leather, patchouli, and tonka bean come out more, but it's a relatively linear scent.

I really like it. It somewhat reminds me of DS & Durga's "Pale Gray Mountain, Small Black Lake" and "Silent Grove." Also Apoteker Tepe's "After the Flood." All three have been sadly discontinued, but they're some of my favorite fall/winter fragrances. They all have that mossy, cold, grey stone quality. It feels masculine to me without being macho. I mostly like wearing this kind of scent with tweed sport coats.

Looking at the page now, I wish Robert sold samples. $167 is a very reasonable price for a boutique fragrance, but always easier to take the plunge if you've been able to smell it. @UrbanComposition has a bottle of it, which is how I came across it. The bottle is a splash bottle and is refillable/ reusable.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 10.06.40 PM.png

karmaguy

Reaction score
how do people feel about Amouage perfumes? and any recommendations?

I really love Reflection; probably a scent I’ll always have a bottle of on hand. I’ve tried most of amouages other scents and I find most of them to be ”too much” for me (I really don’t get the hype behind jubilation for example)

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s the easiest way to get CdG fragrances?

their website is a pain **********, and a bunch of the main retails won’t ship fragrances to the US. US based ones are either much more expensive or don’t have the fragrances I’m looking for

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you buy decants to sample scents without committing to a full bottle, avoid Decant Shop like the plague. I placed an order last month, and when the decants didn't arrive within a few weeks, sent messages inquiring about the status of my order via the website and e-mail. I didn't receive a response. At the one-month mark, I applied for, and received, a chargeback with my credit card company. A few days later I received an e-mail stating that my decants were shipping. No package was forthcoming. Now I log into my account and notice that my order is marked "Closed." I haven't had this kind of horrible service from any other online merchant. And the bastards have the gall to continue sending me e-mails informing me of a 25% off sale.

On the other hand, Surrender to Chance is fantastic. Blazing fast processing of orders and shipments.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got to try this new scent today from The Observer Collection, which is a small line of bags and accessories by Rober Spangle, the fashion photographer behind Thousand Yard Style. The scent was composed by a Parisian perfumer named Will Inrig. The container was designed by Robert.

I mostly got green moss growing on a wet, cold stone. There's a bit of ambergris in there to give it a marine note. In the dry down, the leather, patchouli, and tonka bean come out more, but it's a relatively linear scent.

I really like it. It somewhat reminds me of DS & Durga's "Pale Gray Mountain, Small Black Lake" and "Silent Grove." Also Apoteker Tepe's "After the Flood." All three have been sadly discontinued, but they're some of my favorite fall/winter fragrances. They all have that mossy, cold, grey stone quality. It feels masculine to me without being macho. I mostly like wearing this kind of scent with tweed sport coats.

Looking at the page now, I wish Robert sold samples. $167 is a very reasonable price for a boutique fragrance, but always easier to take the plunge if you've been able to smell it. @UrbanComposition has a bottle of it, which is how I came across it. The bottle is a splash bottle and is refillable/ reusable.

View attachment 1507295
This could be because it’s my first eau de parfum but I’m amazed how long the scent lasts. Woke up this morning and still smelled it in the air. Serious hangtime.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I got a bottle of Aqua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Gomez for $10.

Sprayedsome on just now to see how long it will last when I sleep.

Gotta say for $10this is a phenomenal scent. Even at like $70 I'd be happy (I don't know how long it lasts). It's lemony, almost lemony candy like. Rosemary and bay leaf herbal. Very Mediterranean very classic and very good. Probably not the best for winter, though TBH.

(Side note, anyone have any good winter-y scents? I tend to like fruity, citrusy type scents. There' just a disconnect I suppose, when it's gray out and I smell like the Italian coast in July.)

Also got two shave creams one that was scented to smell like oriental spices sea air and cucumber. I get more sea air and cucumber in the way that watermelon jolly rancher is the watermelon flavor even though it isn't watermelon flavored. It's a good soapy scent.

Also Truefitt & Hill 1805. It smells just like all the other 1805 stuff. Which is to say: fantastic.

Agua de Colonia Concentrada is good stuff. Lemonheads candy opening some basil then a slightly brown spice base.

I ordered some Le Labo samples the other night. Loved their Neroli perfume on a blotter but thought it got too soapy on skin when I tried it years ago. Really wouldn’t mind it these days as I don’t have a soapy fragrance in my collection. Looking forward to trying the new “petrichor” scent and Rose 31 which I’ve smelled in hotel toiletries but never the actual perfume.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs on a candle to buy from Saks w my $50 Amex credit? Trying to keep it as close to free as possible.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any recs on a candle to buy from Saks w my $50 Amex credit? Trying to keep it as close to free as possible.

I don't want to be responsible for you getting a bad candle ... bbuuuttt, i will say that I like Diptyque candles. I'm surprised to see Saks has such a small number of Diptyque candles in stock, but I think the line is generally well composed and more interesting than your usual Yankee candle type stuff.

Personally, I would go with Feu de Bois. It smells like a crackling wood fireplace. Probably Diptyque's most famous scented candle and what I think is a crowd pleaser. If I were getting a stranger a gift, I would go with that .

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be responsible for you getting a bad candle ... bbuuuttt, i will say that I like Diptyque candles. I'm surprised to see Saks has such a small number of Diptyque candles in stock, but I think the line is generally well composed and more interesting than your usual Yankee candle type stuff.

Personally, I would go with Feu de Bois. It smells like a crackling wood fireplace. Probably Diptyque's most famous scented candle and what I think is a crowd pleaser. If I were getting a stranger a gift, I would go with that .
I second the Diptyque endorsement. My favorite is Narguile, also not online with Saks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I second the Diptyque endorsement. My favorite is Narguile, also not online with Saks.
I third Diptyque candles. Excellent value.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Any others you would recommend to try?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. Any others you would recommend to try?

I think it's hard to go wrong with any of them, so long as you know what scents you generally like and dislike. I don't like the scent of rose, for example. So while I think Roses is well done, it's not something I would want in my home (it smells like a powdered rose).

I personally like Feu de Bois (crackling fireplace), Vetyver (vetiver and cedarwood), Cyprés (warm honey), Figuier (subtle fig), and Vanilla (creamy vanilla with nutmeg and bit of smoke).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads