• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

verver

Reaction score
0F1A6A65-35AA-42A6-97D1-968B67BAC2BA.jpeg

couldn’t decide, so got all 3. Really wish they were all edp

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? Just curious.

I tend to prefer EDT concentrations. Not so obliteratingly thick and actually allows the fragrances to breathe, for want of less wankery words.

I have a few vintage EDT that are much more concentrated than what they turn out today. I remember when I was really young I had a thing for Stetson's Preferred Stock, and one spray of that would last all day. Then they changed the formula (colour went from a purple to a clear liquid) and it never lasted quite the same.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a lot of leeway perfumers have in calling things edt, edp, and extrait. It seems that yesteryear things veered on the higher end of the spectrum more so than today. You have to be careful sometimes because formulations can be different for the concentrations, not just amount of alcohol. A prime example is Chanel no5 edp vs edt. In general, I find edp to be the best of concentration to still give the fragrance lift. The more naturals a fragrance has I prefer even higher concentrations. You need it with naturals or after 40 minutes it tends to be gone.

I was just browsing St. Clair scents and this highly regarded one that she has she lists at 50% concentration. That's wild. I am curious what the concentration is on a lot of these other heavy hitters like Bortnikoff and Areej.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Today.. tobacco but with some flowers in it... I guess it'll do for the foreseeable for lack of anything better

m-65%2Bfull%2Bburb%2B2%2B%25282%2529.jpg

shoewarma

Reaction score
Wearing Floris No. 89. This is so, so good. It just keeps getting better and better with every wearing. When I first tried it, I thought it was forgettable. Didn't think it was dated, but definitely a grandparent scent. Now though, I understand it's beauty and actually don't think it smells old at all. It's just a great rose scent.

But, what I love about it is how reminiscent it is to Forntnum and Mason's rose-flavoured tea buscuits I bought from Heathrow in mid-March when COVID shat the bed. I had them all through my 14 day quarantine and beyond. They're light, balanced, and guilt-free snacks, and Floris No. 89 is exactly those things. I don't feel weird or out of character wearing this.

I've decided to get a full bottle of it. It's only a matter of time.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Floris No. 89. This is so, so good. It just keeps getting better and better with every wearing. When I first tried it, I thought it was forgettable. Didn't think it was dated, but definitely a grandparent scent. Now though, I understand it's beauty and actually don't think it smells old at all. It's just a great rose scent.

But, what I love about it is how reminiscent it is to Forntnum and Mason's rose-flavoured tea buscuits I bought from Heathrow in mid-March when COVID shat the bed. I had them all through my 14 day quarantine and beyond. They're light, balanced, and guilt-free snacks, and Floris No. 89 is exactly those things. I don't feel weird or out of character wearing this.

I've decided to get a full bottle of it. It's only a matter of time.

Funny--I wore this yesterday, & I agree that it's fantastic. Every time I wear it, I ask myself why I don't wear it more often

shoewarma

Reaction score
Funny--I wore this yesterday, & I agree that it's fantastic. Every time I wear it, I ask myself why I don't wear it more often
I actually ordered a somewhat vintage bottle of it a day ago for a fair price. Man, I just couldn't resist. It's too elegant and classic to pass up.

I also picked up a vintage bottle of Santal to go with it, just to see how it compares with the current version.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like 89, I'd also recommend Rogue Perfuemery's Mousse Illume. Fantastic, especially at the price.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is 89 as much of a Neroli bomb as I've heard? Because I'm not super keen on those kinds of scents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads