• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

shoewarma

Reaction score
Smelled mostly Private Blend stuff, but can't be totally sure. Recently picked up a vintage bottle of Hermes Equipage and it's fantastic. If you like geranium, try to find a decant of some vintage Lanvin Geranium D'Espagne, which is incredible, and incredibly rare.
I remember hearing about that Lanvin before, but yeah, I don't really bother hunting down something that rare.

I have been looking at eBay yesterday for vintage Equipage, but I'm not well-versed in vintages at all. I saw a listing that seems legit and pretty fair, but I just can't know for sure. I should probably PM you to get your opinion on it.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
am happy to report that TF Oud Wood did nothing for me

all I remember about it is that it was very weak... I couldn't even smell myself and it was long before cov-19 so can't be blamed on it

tom%2Bford%2Boud%2Bwood%2B1.jpg

this on the other hand I can smell alright )

denim%2Bblack%2Bnov%2B2020%2B5.jpg

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
am happy to report that TF Oud Wood did nothing for me

all I remember about it is that it was very weak... I couldn't even smell myself and it was long before cov-19 so can't be blamed on it

tom%2Bford%2Boud%2Bwood%2B1.jpg

Maybe you've been ripped off...
I smell it strongly on me, and it has hang time.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
who knows really i didn't buy it myself but was gifted but it looked like it came from a reputable store though I didn't ask from where )

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oud Wood has a reputation for being on the weak side, but longevity and projection have a lot to do with skin chemistry.

Now if you want something with nuclear projection, try Le Labo Santal 33. People will smell you before they see you.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who knows really i didn't buy it myself but was gifted but it looked like it came from a reputable store though I didn't ask from where )
Drag dude...
It's one of my absolute favorites.
I even bought a candle I like the scent so much.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oud Wood has a reputation for being on the weak side, but longevity and projection have a lot to do with skin chemistry.

Now if you want something with nuclear projection, try Le Labo Santal 33. People will smell you before they see you.
True that...
If I put one molecule of this on me, I have a cloud of pungent vanilla that announces my presence 10 minutes in advance.
1605565125759.png

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oud Wood isn't weak on me, either. This is definitely skin chemistry.

To be honest though, projection isn't at the top of my priorities for fragrance. I'll as happily wear a clean fougere as a sultry oriental, so long as they last.

Nikos

Reaction score
Beau de Jour is one that I bought immediately it came out, because I always like a balanced fougere. With this one, multiple people have told me out of nowhere that they loved the smell. Something about this one seems to work extremely well on my skin, and it's not overpowering at all - it's worth a try if you like a very clean, patchouli + amber base fragrance. Lots of lavender too.

I am intrigued by this one and I can get it for a low price because apparently not many people buy it around here. Should I blind buy? I do enjoy fougeres.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am intrigued by this one and I can get it for a low price because apparently not many people buy it around here. Should I blind buy? I do enjoy fougeres.

If you are a fougere guy, then yes. There's really no downside, as it's an updated take on an already classic combination. It does lean towards the greenish, minty sort of side - but the patchouli and lavender really grounds it, and that's what you notice most.

It's also a steal, because it used to be a Private Blend, but it was so complete that it got switched to Signature. So you get a PB for basically nothing.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this gem. If you like vintage musk give it a go.

View attachment 1498467

This one is fantastic. I don't own it myself, but have tried it before from a friend.

It's just too bad that I cannot wear musks for the life of me. My father always wears musk, and every time I smell one I think it's superb, but also that it suits him better.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Tom Ford is one of those fragrance houses people love that I don’t get.

I think some of the confusion may be due to the fact that only a few of the Private Blends are really complete fragrances on their own, in my opinion. Some of them are so linear that I wouldn't wear them on their own - TV, for example. Needs a little kick of something else.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing about that Lanvin before, but yeah, I don't really bother hunting down something that rare.

I have been looking at eBay yesterday for vintage Equipage, but I'm not well-versed in vintages at all. I saw a listing that seems legit and pretty fair, but I just can't know for sure. I should probably PM you to get your opinion on it.

Yeah, I'd be happy to take at look at that Equipage listing. I did a little research on the various releases before I bought mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics