• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got Musk Lave and the gf got Grandenia. It was a nightmare and we felt very silly refreshing and getting panicky. Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't really care about sandalwood and thus Santal Galore. Maybe I haven't smelled a great one, or a real one, but I just find it is a bit boring of a note because it is literally in everything.

Guerlain: Have you tried Chamade? It has become a favorite.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I got Musk Lave and the gf got Grandenia. It was a nightmare and we felt very silly refreshing and getting panicky. Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't really care about sandalwood and thus Santal Galore. Maybe I haven't smelled a great one, or a real one, but I just find it is a bit boring of a note because it is literally in everything.

Sandalwood isn't exciting as a note, but it's just a really good note when it's well-blended. I'm sure you've smelled Diptyque Tam Dao. It's a really comforting and pure wood scent. But, it's not good enough as a whole fragrance. If you want a pure sandalwood experience, you have to try Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo. I'm not saying it's going to change your mind because again, sandalwood isn't particularly exciting. But man, this is probably the best use of it as an authentic and dominant note in my opinion.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah it was quite the ALD circus.

Haven't tried Chamade but am curious. What vintage do you have? Assume you're referring to the Parfum?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a modern edt. If edp is available I'd go for that as the edt is pretty light.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I smelled a bunch of Roja stuff at Bergdorf this weekend. Nice fragrances for sure, but yeah, they are marketed towards people who only care about buying expensive things. Can definitely get better for less. I thought he was known for big FU oud stuff, but I felt his ouds are rather tame compared to some Bortnikoffs and Strangelove.

razmaftei

Reaction score
Got a new bottle for my small collection from my wife and doughter as a bday present today.

Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Toilette Originale.

I'm really glad my girls started to understand my taste in perfumes. They got this for me 'blindly' and it hits the spot.
No Gentlemen Only, no 2017 Gentleman peepee rabanne in a bottle.

Nice opening, a bit like Boss No1, good soapiness to it.
Vetiver is kinda quiet, pa-fuckn-tchouli all the way dominating till dry down and beyond but very nice and never boring.
After spraying the sample they brought back from the store yesterday evening just in case (yeah thats right, a sample, so if i dont like the frag i can return it unopened) i woke up with a skin scent reminding me of dior eau sauvage..

2 thumbs up??

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried a few dabs of the current Caron Yatagan this morning, and this afternoon wore Lalique's Encre Noire L'Extreme. Both are fantastic and have got to be in the top ten masculine cheapies still widely available.

Switching gears this evening, wearing Grandenia Extrait from Areej Le Dore's new collection on the left arm, and 1989 Vol de Nuit on the right arm. I was stunned when first sprayed at how the openings almost exactly reflected each other - both bright, spacious, propelled by the luminous bergamot and citrus/floral cloud. Grandenia quickly evolved towards the deeper and darker heart and base. VDN stays spacious, defying gravity, appropriate to the theme.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Tried a few dabs of the current Caron Yatagan this morning, and this afternoon wore Lalique's Encre Noire L'Extreme. Both are fantastic and have got to be in the top ten masculine cheapies still widely available.
Yatagan is getting harder to find because it apparently got discontinued, unfortunately. I want to get it for the sole reason that it's classic and is very coniferous, but I don't know of I'd actually feel the urge to wear it.

I sold my bottle of Encre Noire a l'Extreme a few weeks ago. I got really bored with it and it got really stale rather quickly, as with most cheapies. After the thrill of finding a "cheap masterpiece" is gone, it's all downhill from there.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yatagan is getting harder to find because it apparently got discontinued, unfortunately. I want to get it for the sole reason that it's classic and is very coniferous, but I don't know of I'd actually feel the urge to wear it.

I sold my bottle of Encre Noire a l'Extreme a few weeks ago. I got really bored with it and it got really stale rather quickly, as with most cheapies. After the thrill of finding a "cheap masterpiece" is gone, it's all downhill from there.

I didn't love Yatagan the way I love Le 3emme Homme. I had not heard it was discontinued and looks like it's still floating around on the discounters. I will probably reach the same point with the Lalique, and will enjoy the journey.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antonio Alessandria's Gattopardo today. Really getting into this brand. Old fashioned in a good way. Complex fragrances, not afraid to use some of the old tricks. This one is boozy, woody and nutty. Wish the booze would linger a little longer.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried to get a bottle of Yatagan a few months ago and they were pretty much gone online. They might be trickling back online, probably for a dumb price. I am glad I have a small bottle of vintage for reference.

Interesting about the Grandenia. Looking forward to smelling it.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was all Chanel Boy for me today - not in the best of moods, so a nice fragrance helps.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Opened my Musk Lave. Would not spray. Atomizer is totally broken tried everything. Fortunately a bit leaked out around the top and I find it pretty incredible. Reminds me a lot of Vol de Nuit/Mouhchoir! Russian Adam got a an email. I need a new bottle/atomizer!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this should be under Hibbity...
I had ordered some stuff and received samples with it.
One is a Tom Ford that I already have, so I've been using the sample because, free Tom Ford. Plus I want to get it off my counter.
So I trigger a couple spritzes this morning, and I'm like ****, this is not Tom Ford.
It was the other sample, All Saints Incense.
I really don't like it, and I don't know why I kept it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DecantShop has a 25% off sale until 11:59 tomorrow night. Discount code is COLUMBUS. I went with 5 mL decants of three Margiela scents (Jazz Club, By the Fireplace, At the Barber's) and a 5 mL decant of Frederic Malle French Lover, which I have read is very similar to the wonderful but frightfully expensive Creed Spice & Wood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads