• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Likely not the right place to ask, but worth a shot.

would like to purchase another bottle of aventus, think my current bottle was the X01 batch.

Is there anywhere to find it less than full retail? Especially in light of all the covid sales..

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
During quarantine some people have started making bread. Others have redecorated their homes. I've been ordering raw aroma chemicals and really messing around. I'm a sucker for Iso E Super-heavy fragrances, so I ordered a bunch of it along with some other things that seemed like they'd mix well. Learning a lot on the Basenotes DIY forum. It's fun to learn different accords and put them together, then make changes.

A friend who likes Molecule One (which is more or less straight-up Iso E Super) just had a birthday, so I made some, but added the pepper and grapefruit top notes that I like in Terre D'Hermès. It turned out well. I don't expect to make anything complex or great, but it's really fun to try things out. It reminds me of getting into making cocktails. As I gradually build a collection of ingredients for each accord I want to make, I end up with a broader selection so that I can try new things. Does anyone else here do this?

My gf has been taking perfumery courses and has as many aromochemicals as IFF probably. It is a fun thing to smell raw ingredients, but there's something that can ruin experiences for most people who aren't actively making, or wanting to make perfumes. You end up just being able to identify what's in many fragrances and it takes the surprise, allure, and romanticism out of it a bit. Even with that said she's getting very good and I hope to never have to buy another fragrance again teeeheheheehehehehe.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saturday, Sunday and Monday ))

50369403142_202c18fe44_c.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice photo, but I guess I'm not getting the association of watches on a fragrance thread.
I have not worn a watch in over a decade, but the bands would work up a really good stink after a while, so I am assuming these fragrances are used to cover it up on the various watches!

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf has been taking perfumery courses and has as many aromochemicals as IFF probably. It is a fun thing to smell raw ingredients, but there's something that can ruin experiences for most people who aren't actively making, or wanting to make perfumes. You end up just being able to identify what's in many fragrances and it takes the surprise, allure, and romanticism out of it a bit. Even with that said she's getting very good and I hope to never have to buy another fragrance again teeeheheheehehehehe.
Awesome. Did you get into fragrance because of your GF's interest, vice-versa?

I've taken only one full-day one-on-one perfumery intro seminar at the Perfumer's Apprentice near Santa Cruz here in Central Cal. I had them customize it to include a half-day each on naturals, and then synthetics. Lots of fun and came out of it with two fragrances I concocted.

I've since started building a library of high quality essential perfume oils, extracts, and absolutes... And need to start carving out some time to mess around with some blends and perfumer's alcohol. Super lucky to have one of the best vendors for these materials in my area. Eden Botanicals.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So while I was at the Saks counter, I saw they were selling Duc de Vervins. The pic I posted is still up. I asked the rep what he thought of it, and that I had an old bottle.
He said it was fantastic, and then whispered, not sure why, "that scent is old money!".
So I wore it today for the first time in years and years.
Conflicting thoughts. It smelled great, but I kept expecting to get in a fight with my ex at any second.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Awesome. Did you get into fragrance because of your GF's interest, vice-versa?

I've taken only one full-day one-on-one perfumery intro seminar at the Perfumer's Apprentice near Santa Cruz here in Central Cal. I had them customize it to include a half-day each on naturals, and then synthetics. Lots of fun and came out of it with two fragrances I concocted.

I've since started building a library of high quality essential perfume oils, extracts, and absolutes... And need to start carving out some time to mess around with some blends and perfumer's alcohol. Super lucky to have one of the best vendors for these materials in my area. Eden Botanicals.

She had a vague interest in fragrance and got me into it 100% but we have developed our interest in it together. I don't have a desire to make fragrances myself because learning more about it and listening to her studies it is A LOT harder than people think. I love learning about it, but I don't have the drive to create anything. She's taken a lot of classes and even makes her own tinctures with things that you can't buy at a store and lots of oddball things. Jugs of 100% alcohol are abound in a ventilated room with fridges for citrus and top notes and spreadsheets with notes of everything. It is legit. Eden, of course, is a great resource and if you're close to it you're very lucky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads