• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to head back to the store today.
I found that I love Neroli Portofino.
I want to try some other Tom Fords, and will try and score some samples.
What is the consensus one to hunt, ******* Fabulous?

I hate the name so much I refuse to try it.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. I enjoy some Tom Ford stuff a lot, but I have actively avoided this one simply because of the tacky name.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Entirely agree.

A recent blind buy that paid off for me is Chypre Mousse from Oriza L. Legrand. A highly polarizing fragrance based on survey of commentary from both Fragrantica and Basenotes.

I have not come across a scent that so beautifully captures a quality of a forest after the first few rains of autumn. Soil, damp leaves, moss on fallen branches, and the slight sweetness of green shoots and the forest floor humus waking up. Plus other shape-shifting, dark green and earthy accords that are mesmerizing.

I bought it largely based on the great review and Kafkaesqueblog's write up.

Definitively not a mass-appealing scent, which to me makes it that much more interesting. One I can foresee being a perfect fall fragrance.
I smelled this a while back and I thought "meh" and was surprised based on the amount of good press it has gotten. I'll have to revisit it. I do like Deja Le Printemps, which is a lovely green fig. Probably like it better than Philosykos.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you can get past the name, which I personally find hilarious since it bothers so many people, it's really fantastic. I tried it on in the store one evening to see how it wore, and I immediately went back the next day and got a full bottle. It was that good on me. I actually want to upgrade to a 100ml this winter.

Bear in mind that it, along with Rose Prick and Lost Cherry, is quite a bit more expensive than the regular line. They likely won't give you samples.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can get past the name, which I personally find hilarious since it bothers so many people, it's really fantastic. I tried it on in the store one evening to see how it wore, and I immediately went back the next day and got a full bottle. It was that good on me. I actually want to upgrade to a 100ml this winter.

Bear in mind that it, along with Rose Prick and Lost Cherry, is quite a bit more expensive than the regular line. They likely won't give you samples.

Just wait until his next release...
I've heard he's calling it "God's ******"

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's been going for "sexy and classic" for quite a while. I can't wear all of them, but FF was one of my favorites. His fougeres are also kind of modern twists on the classic combinations.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the by, if you're up for something on the other end of the continuum: give Oud Wood a try. It's a great addition to the cooler weather.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1962, Leather Oud, Vert Fougere's

Haven't tried any of these yet. Probably the best way do discover is ordering a samples from their website. I don't think we have here in Toronto Area stores where you can try Floris.

Another very cold morning and I am wearing "By the fireplace".

50356496523_10608fe36c_c.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, and Tuscan Leather are three you should try, although none of them really do it for me. Italian Cypress (RIP) is my favorite and I am rationing whatever little I have left. Plum Japonais is really good as well, although it's more of a cold weather/formal scent.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Haven't tried any of these yet. Probably the best way do discover is ordering a samples from their website. I don't think we have here in Toronto Area stores where you can try Floris.

Another very cold morning and I am wearing "By the fireplace".

50356496523_10608fe36c_c.jpg
I know a discount shop that carries Floris, but not all of them. They only have testers of their "classic" lines and not the Private Collection. I pretty much tried everything that interested me at Heathrow Airport back in March, except for Elite and Jermyn Street. I've resisted a blind buy of latter for so long now, but I've read very mixed opinions and it would be very hard to sell or swap it.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During quarantine some people have started making bread. Others have redecorated their homes. I've been ordering raw aroma chemicals and really messing around. I'm a sucker for Iso E Super-heavy fragrances, so I ordered a bunch of it along with some other things that seemed like they'd mix well. Learning a lot on the Basenotes DIY forum. It's fun to learn different accords and put them together, then make changes.

A friend who likes Molecule One (which is more or less straight-up Iso E Super) just had a birthday, so I made some, but added the pepper and grapefruit top notes that I like in Terre D'Hermès. It turned out well. I don't expect to make anything complex or great, but it's really fun to try things out. It reminds me of getting into making cocktails. As I gradually build a collection of ingredients for each accord I want to make, I end up with a broader selection so that I can try new things. Does anyone else here do this?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smelled this a while back and I thought "meh" and was surprised based on the amount of good press it has gotten. I'll have to revisit it. I do like Deja Le Printemps, which is a lovely green fig. Probably like it better than Philosykos.

Yes, no surprise if Chypre Mousee was not immediately appealing.

If you like a nice fig accord, you should check out Annick Goutal's Ninfeo Mio.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent a good chunk of time at the Saks fragrance counter today.
Put some test dabs on strategic locations, and after several hours of contorted sniffing, the winner, at least for now:
Oud Wood, could not love it more on me.
Tobacco Vanille I liked quite a bit too, but it's too much in the same family tree as Spice Bomb, and I have that already.
Tried effing Fabulous, it hits my nose super powdery, not a fan.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent a good chunk of time at the Saks fragrance counter today.
Put some test dabs on strategic locations, and after several hours of contorted sniffing, the winner, at least for now:
Oud Wood, could not love it more on me.
Tobacco Vanille I liked quite a bit too, but it's too much in the same family tree as Spice Bomb, and I have that already.
Tried effing Fabulous, it hits my nose super powdery, not a fan.

Yes! Knew you'd like the Oud. It's just such a classic and sophisticated fragrance. Not flashy - just elegant.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Likely not the right place to ask, but worth a shot.

would like to purchase another bottle of aventus, think my current bottle was the X01 batch.

Is there anywhere to find it less than full retail? Especially in light of all the covid sales..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads