• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never mind the Floris, I'd just dab on a bit of that Laphroaig and be good to go. Mind you, I do prefer the Quarter Cask.

I actually never tried Quarter Cask yet. I stick more to Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 )

No 98 for todays cold morning.

50344581918_1baed52d31_c.jpg

50345273306_e9d2cf2229_c.jpg

shoewarma

Reaction score
I really want to see what the Floris Elite EdT is like. I love my aftershave, but it's not a true fragrance experience. I like No. 89 as well, but I'm not crazy about it. I can see how it's considered barbershop, but it's a bit too rosy for me. I compare it to Guerlain Habit Rouge, which I've never really understood what the fuss about it was. I'd actually wear No. 89, and I have a small sample to get through, but I don't think it's a must have.

My choice today was YSL Opium Pour Homme. This is really good, and is exactly my kind of scent. It's a bit too vanillic though, and I wish there was a bit more of a ginger/galangal and anise kick. I've had it on my radar for a while now, but never quite went through with it because I find the opening way nicer than the drydown.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to see what the Floris Elite EdT is like. I love my aftershave, but it's not a true fragrance experience. I like No. 89 as well, but I'm not crazy about it. I can see how it's considered barbershop, but it's a bit too rosy for me.

I remember not liking No 89 at first but then it kinda was growing on me. Not my everyday fragrance though. I wish I had a talent to describe fragrances I would tell you more about the Floris Elite. I think my first though about the Elite was, man this is just too old school for me. Sort of grandpa smell, but it was different when I tried it on. I think it is more like earthy smell and I like it.

shoewarma

Reaction score
There is a really nice floral accord underneath that I've read some people describing as tuberose. I don't particularly get tuberose, but there's definitely some kind of an aromatic white floral, and it's not a skanky or meaty jasmine or the like. Just something really pleasant that rounds out the rough greenness of the overall scent.

verver

Reaction score
Good stuff- I also have the margiela discovery set. Deciding amongst jazz club, whispers in the library, or by the fireside to get the full bottle. Any thoughts?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good stuff- I also have the margiela discovery set. Deciding amongst jazz club, whispers in the library, or by the fireside to get the full bottle. Any thoughts?

Between the first two, I prefer Jazz Club. It's a really versatile one.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am deciding between Jazz club and By the Fireplace for a big bottle. At The Barber’s is another my favourite from them.

It was warm and nice today so Floris Santal for me )

50353818017_7f21d284d6_c.jpg

shoewarma

Reaction score
I am deciding between Jazz club and By the Fireplace for a big bottle. At The Barber’s is another my favourite from them.

It was warm and nice today so Floris Santal for me )

50353818017_7f21d284d6_c.jpg
Santal is my first Floris and it was the one that started my obsession with the brand. I never intended to get so interested in them, but I just felt naturally drawn to their style and esthetic. Such a nice and polite fragrance.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santal is my first Floris and it was the one that started my obsession with the brand. I never intended to get so interested in them, but I just felt naturally drawn to their style and esthetic. Such a nice and polite fragrance.

Which one is your favourite from Floris?

shoewarma

Reaction score
Which one is your favourite from Floris?
Santal, my friend. 1962 is not that far behind though. I also have Leather Oud, but I'm still 50/50 on it. I'm currently waiting for Vert Fougere's price to drop even more on discounters so I can grab a bottle as I really liked it.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice fragrances finish last.

Entirely agree.

A recent blind buy that paid off for me is Chypre Mousse from Oriza L. Legrand. A highly polarizing fragrance based on survey of commentary from both Fragrantica and Basenotes.

I have not come across a scent that so beautifully captures a quality of a forest after the first few rains of autumn. Soil, damp leaves, moss on fallen branches, and the slight sweetness of green shoots and the forest floor humus waking up. Plus other shape-shifting, dark green and earthy accords that are mesmerizing.

I bought it largely based on the great review and Kafkaesqueblog's write up.

Definitively not a mass-appealing scent, which to me makes it that much more interesting. One I can foresee being a perfect fall fragrance.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to head back to the store today.
I found that I love Neroli Portofino.
I want to try some other Tom Fords, and will try and score some samples.
What is the consensus one to hunt, ******* Fabulous?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics