• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I know is, I got the big bottle.
This one?

Sauvage.jpg

Joytropics

Reaction score
Just got this in the mail from TF and I love it. The product design really suits the scent, and adds to the whole experience.
TF TV.jpg

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been working through a sample of Ex idolo Ryder the past few days. A big honey/tobacco/vanilla/amber thing. delicious. also a little incense and some tree resin. The honey and vanilla notes make it a little cloying imo over time though; it’s linear and it lasts all day.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My girlfriend gave me a bottle of Guerlain Chamade, which she didn't find herself wearing. I had never heard of it, but I do like it. It is a weird fragrance to me, at least the modern bottle that I have. It is light and fresh, obviously some citrus, however it is hard to pinpoint what I am smelling. Also, it is so light you need kind of a ridiculous amount of sprays. Even then it is a light skin scent in a few hours. Very nice for right after a shower.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Wearing the new Acqua di Parma Colonia Futura from a sample today. I am not sure what to think of it. It's a nice scent overall, with a lot of vetiver and grapefruit. It's a welcome departure from the soapy drydowns of the others in the Colonia line. But, is this really a modern twist on the Colonia concept? No. It's not even close, and smells like a totally different fragrance, perhaps from a different brand altogether. It just doesn't belong there, and the concept made me cringe so much. This isn't an homage to the classic Colonia, and in no way does it smell like "the present and future". It's just a goddamn woody citrus fragrance that fails to do anything different or remarkable. To discontinue Colonia Assoluta for this is absolutely shocking, because that one genuinely smelled more "Futura" than this pointless release. There are hundreds of better vetiver fragrances, so why bother with this? Thanks for the experience, but this is a pass.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm curious about Aqua di Parma, I haven't come across anything by them, but off the top of my head Magnolia Nobile is one I have been wanting to try.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else ever wear this one?
Found it stashed away. It was my long term ex gf's favorite, so I used to wear it all the time.
Duc De Vervins.
Back then, Nordstrom was about the only place in my area that carried it.
The bottle is now beat to hell, but the scent still seems good.
IMG_1446.jpeg

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about Aqua di Parma, I haven't come across anything by them, but off the top of my head Magnolia Nobile is one I have been wanting to try.
I've tried a LOT of the ADP line, mainly in-stores on test strips and have found that the vast majority don't really do it for me, and quite a few come off with either their characteristic bright citrus opening but are short-lived, or have a screechy synthetic base accord that irritates my eyes and is off putting to my nose. Speaking to the later, I really wanted to love is Quercia but some components didn't sit well with me - some strong aromachems in the base - maybe the oakmoss and tonka. But that could just my personal chemistry/sensitivities.

Two that I have landed on which I liked enough to snag full bottles of, are Colonia Assoluta, and from the Blu Mediterraneo line, Cedro di Taormina. Both are collaborations between J.C. Ellena and Betrand Duchaufour - which is not a bad starting point. And both are unfortunately discontinued but can be found on the discounter sites, and testers are pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't really know too much about Italian fragrance houses. I get the impression they are bright citrusy freshies because of the climate. I guess that would make sense.

People love talking about Elena, but I don't love anything I have smelled by him. They are nice, but nothing that blows me away. Duchaufour is another story.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Yeah, Acqua di Parma as a whole is rather average, but the ones I like, I really do like. I have Colonia Assoluta and Essenza, which are the best of the best in the whole lineup. Outside of the Colonia range, I enjoy Mirra a lot and considered a bottle not too long ago but I realized that there are much better offerings out there. It's a decent brand, but it's certainly overrated. The ones I have are perfectly suitable for my needs and tastes.

I much prefer Lorenzo Villoresi to satisfy my craving for Italian style perfumes. I own Sandalo and Piper Nigrum, the latter of which fits the image of Italy a lot more than the former. One that I really love is Uomo for its lovely sharpness and herbaceous scent. I keep putting off a purchase of a full bottle, and I should really grab one because it's a fine fragrance. Others that I enjoy are Spezie and Dilmun, but I've yet to try many others in the line because of their lack of accessibility.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are some real gems in the Italian houses and certainly not at all just known for their citruses.

I've been on a patchouli kick recently and two that are incredibly well made and superb renditions are Nobile 1942 Patchouliand Patchouli Noir by Il Profumo.

Also from Italy, the house of La via del Profumo by Abdes Salaam Attar are exceptional all natural fragrances with some real standouts that have received 4-stars from Turin.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caveat being the Profumo scents are short lived in my n=2 (well, x3 if you count the other 2 ppl who've worn the two in question). Still, I would want more.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I received a sample of Fougere Nobile by Nobile 1942, and I really dig it. It's a little bit fruity and doesn't come across as a fougere to me. There's a really nice black pepper note as well, and the overall scent has a nice mellow sweetness. Gorgeous scent actually, and I could see it being very appropriate in formal or professional settings. Not too expensive either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads