• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got a sample of Phoenix Artisan's scent for Big Shave S'West 2020 looking to see if I would like it as a shave soap and it turns out I actually like the fragrance itself. But it starts off a little aqueous whenever I smell it. Which I suppose, given what it smells like to me (western, leathery, gunpowder and campfirey) is probably OK.

Anyway, long way of saying here is what he describes the scent as, is there anything you guys recommend that is similar?

A Dark, Leathery, Musky, Smokey Mesquite, Western Bouquet wrapped up like an Eastern Attar! A very manly, rugged, yet sophisticated fragrance.

My favorite scent like what you're describing is Le Labo's Patchouli 24. Very barbecue. And then when you say dark smoky, what comes to my mind is Encre Noire (the budget choice here), Maison Trudon Revolution, Naomi Goodsir Bois D'ascese, and Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex. also Tauer stuff sort of points in that direction while being (mostly) lighter: au coeur du desert (which i've been wearing a lot lately), l'air du desert marocain, lonestar memories, and lonesome rider (which maybe the smokiest of the tauers if i recall correctly)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So the 87 Mitsouko I got was from Washington state and I bought it after I bought one from Russia. My girlfriend told me not to buy from Russia after I already bought it, of course so that's when I bought the Washington one. They were roughly the same price so I guess we will see when the Russian one finally shows up which is an 1984 allegedly (I mistyped 1983 earlier). I paid about $150 for the 15ml Parfums.

As to the smell of the Washington 87 Parfum. It is nice, it is Mitsouko. The top notes were very preserved and the spice doesn't enter under much later dry down. I feel that it unravels longer than the 1999 edp that I have, however dare I say I actually care for the 1999 edp better? I feel like the extra alcohol in the edp vs p gives it more sillage and darn it, I just love spraying fragrance rather than tapping it on my wrist.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The perfumerie flight event I went to was pretty cool, basically you smell fragrances from "light to dark" and at the end you try your top 4 on skin and pick one to get a 5ml sample of. You have no clue what you are smelling until next month. Very democratic way of smelling things and it is a mix, of old and new across many price points and there are even some raw materials in the mix. Of course my girlfriend knew several fragrances which they acquiescently confirmed. My top one was a real butthole smelling one. Almost unwearable, imo. I have a feeling it is Serge Lutens Musc Kubla Khan.

The whole thing is $20, which is great and makes sense to keep going back regularly. They have a nice shop too with a variety of "hot" things and some underdogs. Great little space, however this flight nothing really wowed! No wow moments to any of them, but certainly some nice stuff, just nothing I must own when I find out what they are.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My favorite scent like what you're describing is Le Labo's Patchouli 24. Very barbecue. And then when you say dark smoky, what comes to my mind is Encre Noire (the budget choice here), Maison Trudon Revolution, Naomi Goodsir Bois D'ascese, and Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex. also Tauer stuff sort of points in that direction while being (mostly) lighter: au coeur du desert (which i've been wearing a lot lately), l'air du desert marocain, lonestar memories, and lonesome rider (which maybe the smokiest of the tauers if i recall correctly)
Thanks to you and @patrickBOOTH I have samples of Patchouli 24 and Incendio in the mail. (Or, they will be in the mail later today).

Tauer was all sold out on Twisted Lily's website. I've wanted to try some of their scents for a while :(

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've only smelled one or two Tauer scents when I wasn't as interested in fragrance. I wasn't impressed, but people seem to love them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
T-Rex is probably a tad bit too animalic for him, id say. Bois D'Ascese is also a solid choice and an incredible fragrance.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you and @patrickBOOTH I have samples of Patchouli 24 and Incendio in the mail. (Or, they will be in the mail later today).

Tauer was all sold out on Twisted Lily's website. I've wanted to try some of their scents for a while :(

Les Senteurs have a lot of Tauer samples (and the Tauerville line too), though are UK based.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perfumerie flight event I went to was pretty cool, basically you smell fragrances from "light to dark" and at the end you try your top 4 on skin and pick one to get a 5ml sample of. You have no clue what you are smelling until next month. Very democratic way of smelling things and it is a mix, of old and new across many price points and there are even some raw materials in the mix. Of course my girlfriend knew several fragrances which they acquiescently confirmed. My top one was a real butthole smelling one. Almost unwearable, imo. I have a feeling it is Serge Lutens Musc Kubla Khan.

The whole thing is $20, which is great and makes sense to keep going back regularly. They have a nice shop too with a variety of "hot" things and some underdogs. Great little space, however this flight nothing really wowed! No wow moments to any of them, but certainly some nice stuff, just nothing I must own when I find out what they are.

Man, will have to try this next time I’m in NY (god only knows when that will be these days). So cool.

Also I’m in the minority that doesn’t smell any offensive angle in MKK. Animalic, absolutely, but all in a furry pleasant way, I don’t get anything crotchy or BO’ish (Eau d’Hermes, for example).

SOTD for me was Chanel No 5, damn this stuff is fantastic. Taking advantage of the lockdown to wear whatever strikes my fancy. Just seriously good stuff, tragic that my girlfriend won’t wear it (“old lady”).

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the 87 Mitsouko I got was from Washington state and I bought it after I bought one from Russia. My girlfriend told me not to buy from Russia after I already bought it, of course so that's when I bought the Washington one. They were roughly the same price so I guess we will see when the Russian one finally shows up which is an 1984 allegedly (I mistyped 1983 earlier). I paid about $150 for the 15ml Parfums.

As to the smell of the Washington 87 Parfum. It is nice, it is Mitsouko. The top notes were very preserved and the spice doesn't enter under much later dry down. I feel that it unravels longer than the 1999 edp that I have, however dare I say I actually care for the 1999 edp better? I feel like the extra alcohol in the edp vs p gives it more sillage and darn it, I just love spraying fragrance rather than tapping it on my wrist.

I've bought two fragrances from Russia, both have been fakes. Obviously thats a small sample size, but its unlikely I will ever buy from there again. Both purchases were on Ebay, so they refunded me, but the sellers tried to draw things out for a long time.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Man, will have to try this next time I’m in NY (god only knows when that will be these days). So cool.

Also I’m in the minority that doesn’t smell any offensive angle in MKK. Animalic, absolutely, but all in a furry pleasant way, I don’t get anything crotchy or BO’ish (Eau d’Hermes, for example).

SOTD for me was Chanel No 5, damn this stuff is fantastic. Taking advantage of the lockdown to wear whatever strikes my fancy. Just seriously good stuff, tragic that my girlfriend won’t wear it (“old lady”).
I've only ever smelled Chanel No 5 once and it was at a Sephora before I was really into fragrance. I want to revisit it as I love smelling either like an old lady, or a butthole, or an old lady's butthole. What's the consensus on new vs old and concentration?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ever smelled Chanel No 5 once and it was at a Sephora before I was really into fragrance. I want to revisit it as I love smelling either like an old lady, or a butthole, or an old lady's butthole. What's the consensus on new vs old and concentration?

I’ve only ever smelled current production, and it is great. Jacques Polge half-joked that his number one job duty was to keep No 5 smelling like No 5, my (totally nonexpert) sense is that Chanel hasn’t made any particularly cynical formula changes for cost reasons and has worked hard to minimize the effects of regulatory changes.

EdT and Parfum are the proper “traditionalist” choices, the EdP was formulated and launched in the 80s. Not sure how different the EdP really is though. EdT is what I have (just some 2ml freebies) and it is excellent. Though it’d be a stretch to say it’s anywhere close to unisex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads