• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boucheron Pour Homme EdP for me today - basically take a classic eau de cologne, add some floral-chypre characteristics, turn it up to 11, and use technical wizardry to make the whole thing hang around all day.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blustery here today with temps sub 15° from normal. Felt like a good day for vintage Le 3eme Homme. Just so excellent.
20200606_090946.jpg

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blustery here today with temps sub 15° from normal. Felt like a good day for vintage Le 3eme Homme. Just so excellent. View attachment 1401325

Nice! Haven’t had much luck finding discussions of what the difference is btwn vintage and current, what are your thoughts? I love the current production, hard tofind vintage though.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Haven’t had much luck finding discussions of what the difference is btwn vintage and current, what are your thoughts? I love the current production, hard tofind vintage though.
How does the reformulation compare? I have the new version, and it's such a special scent. Curious to know how it used to be.

Sorry, I couldn't tell you guys. When I decided to get it, I just went right for the vintage juice. I will probably get a sample of the current version to compare, and will leave my impressions then.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the reformulation compare? I have the new version, and it's such a special scent. Curious to know how it used to be.

Of all the Caron reformulations this is one of the most successful IMO. Great if you can get the vintage which is a little more dandy-ish, a little more spice (and oakmoss). But the current version is great too, unlike disasters like narcisse noir and Tabac blonde.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aramis Havana tonight, might as well quit pretending it isn’t the summer. Anyone have strong views on the vintage vs current? This is current and very nice. Curious how the old release differs.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to try a couple current-bestseller samples I have lying around, so Dior Sauvage (EdP) on one arm and Bleu de Chanel (EdP) on the other. Sauvage does pretty much nothing for me; I wouldn't say it smells actively bad but it definitely does not smell particularly good, and there is something in there that reminds me overwhelmingly of spray-on sunscreen and not in a cheerful vacation-vibes way. Definitely do not get this one's popularity, Johnny Depp has betrayed me.

The Bleu de Chanel is not bad at all, fresh/clean/pleasant/unremarkable in a way that would be nice for a hot day when you don't really want to think about what you're going to wear or risk offending anyone. No chance I buy a full bottle but it isn't impossible that I'll finish the handful of sample sprays the SA gave me in the next couple years.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diptyque Philosykos last night, pleasant stuff but not FB worthy, still nice to have a decant around for when the mood strikes in the summers. It's a good fig scent but doesn't do anything beyond that, impressive for what it is though.

Balenciaga Pour Homme today, finally picking up on the much-discussed Back to the Future oud note. Gets discussed a lot as resembling Kouros, and it does in some ways but they are very distinct (and Kouros is the better of the two). Balenciaga has a similar honey-and-civet accord in there as well as some incense, but doesn't do the clean/dirty trick that is the key to Kouros's fascination for me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a 10ml of Philosykos my girlfriend gave me when she bought a bull bottle. I do like it, but I wouldn't have purchased it. I do admit to not being in love with most fresh summer stuff so I agree that it is good to have around on warmer days.

I have an interview later (via phone) that I am very nervous about so it is Caron 3' Homme. Some fresh lavender to keep me at ease.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anybody else smelled Shocking but me? Balenciaga above reminded me how much of a honey-civet it is. It is quite lovely.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bright sun at the home "office" today, with trees all around, inspired me to reach for one of my long-time favorites - the original Cosmair Safari for Men by RL. Got this bottle off the Bay, as my original I purchased at its 1992 release is long gone. I think it was my first fragrance that felt more grown/refined up to me, after moving beyond the original Polo, Kenzo pour Homme, Aramis, and Kouros.

I love the bracing eucalyptus and bergamot opening of Safari, and transition to the herbaceous, cedary heart warmed slightly by cinnamon, grounded by the leathery, sandal and oakmoss base. A perfect leathery aromatic fougere in one of the classiest bottles ever.

I was living in Hawaii when this was released, not long after college, and feeling inspired by tropical incarnations of the linen, sand, and rain forest visions from the 1985 Redford/Streep Out of Africa. I think I even read the great novel by Dinesen at that time. I recall it held up well to the humidity and heat. Another that seems to have been gutted by reformulation. But vintage Cosmair versions seem to still be readily available online.

20200608_111950.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads