• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

harlequin782

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would you have any recommendations for a great oud scent? Or is Tom Ford Oud Wood the best one? That's my only reference point and sorry if that last statement is blasphemous haha.

Creed Royal Oud
Armano Oud Royale
Bond No 9. New York Oud
Roja Dove Aoud Musk
MFK Oud Satin Mood

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would you have any recommendations for a great oud scent? Or is Tom Ford Oud Wood the best one? That's my only reference point and sorry if that last statement is blasphemous haha.

Go to any middle eastern grocery store, they usually have cheap oud fragrances that are about a tenth of the price of the "niche" copycats and usually much better tbh. There'll usually be some variation of classic rose-oud combos.

Unless you want real oud not synthetic, in which case still don't use western niche fragrances, look for a true middle eastern oud brand.

But I would recommend just trying out some of the middle eastern drug store fragrance equivalents. They have a culture that's into perfumery so you can usually find some good stuff amongst the cheapies. When I was over there they seemed to have perfume shops on every corner and it was very common for the in house perfumer to make you a fragrance on the spot.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is a can of worms. The world of oud is massive and there are so many different kinds of oud from various parts of the world. Most of the houses are a bit bullshit that promote it, but some seem to be doing a great job of it like Bortnikoff, Areej la dore, and Aaron Terence Hughes

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm how about I rephrase my question a bit?

What are great starter recommendations if I love woody scents such as oud or hinoki?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are great starter recommendations if I love woody scents such as oud or hinoki?

That's a tough one. Saying you like woody scents is like saying you like red cars and asking for a recommendation.

Anything you've tried that you like? Here's a page from the Perfumed Court organized by notes. Near the bottom are the wood note links to fragrances they sell samples and decants of.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

p.s. Here's a decent discourse video on woody notes in perfumes from Peter of Fragrance View.

And this pretty impressive treatise/compilation/review of coniferous fragrances has been posted here previously.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a tough one. Saying you like woody scents is like saying you like red cars and asking for a recommendation.

Anything you've tried that you like? Here's a page from the Perfumed Court organized by notes. Near the bottom are the wood note links to fragrances they sell samples and decants of.

I've tried Tom Ford Oud Wood and Santal 33. Very basic stuff and I like how it smells on me. Just looking to expand as these two are running out as well.

EDIT Watching that video right now from Peter!

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shalimar for me today, Yatagan (vtg) in the morning yesterday and then Terre D'Hermes Parfum in the evening after working out. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrickBOOTH La Curie has some wonderful smokey scents (incendo and larrea) that your dad might like.

Wearing Ava Luxe Johri today. The EdP lasts about 6 hours on skin, which isn't bad for such a light scent. Really love this green fig note.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helmut Lang Cuiron today. I bought the bottle after the sample blew me away but now it feels weak and not as impressive. I doubt the contents changed, rather maybe I’m just bored of it. Really not sure.

karmaguy

Reaction score
Re: la curie, she’s doing a small sale on some remaining scents in 15ml size for 30 bucks.
She also has a new scent Geist that sounds intriguing...

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of oud scents Malle’s The Night is pretty astonishing. Oud in all it’s realistic skanky glory. The rose is smooth and deep. Projection and longevity are nuclear. But it’s a scent that could never be recommended since the price is just ludicrous.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ during Malle’s recent Instagram live chat with Dominique Ropion, he said that « the best » oud makes up a quarter of the formula...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads