• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wearing 1000 Flowers Narcotic Flowers today. I smell like a dirty old lady (in the best possible way).

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current-production Derby today from a 2ml sample from Saks. (I guess this has been discontinued, maybe, based on discussion here the last few days? Got the sample back in the winter of this year so who knows.)

Nicely done, but have never smelled the original so can't compare. This is a woods-and-leather chypre, bone dry, herbal, with a realistic-smelling oakmoss in the base. Nothing that I'd wax rhapsodic about in the way people yearn for the OG vintage, but ... smells good!

Have to 'fess that I like Aramis better...

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ombre Leather '16 (Tom Ford) today from a store sample I picked up a few years ago. This stuff is nuclear, two very small sprays to the chest from my decant sprayer and I am constantly catching whiffs when sitting perfectly still. Big leather, obviously a close relative of Tuscan Leather but with more florals, some sweetness, and what I smell as a fairly faint violet leaf note (many reviewers point to a 'big' violet leaf but it is more subtle to my nose, certainly nowhere close to Grey Flannel or Fahrenheit). I get some of the raspberry from TL, not quite as strong. I think the new version is fairly similar based on in-store sniffs, fwiw.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has experience with Simone Andreoli fragrances? Walked in to a local shop with a nice and well chosen stock looking for a summery citrus fragrance, but with nuance and debt. They recommended Simone Andreoli Zest di Sorrento. Nice fragrance, traditional Italian style. Realistic citrus, some warm neroli, woodsy drydown. Nothing unique, but seems well made. Have never tried any of his stuff before though.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a sample of Malibu and it's basically Creed's VIW. The dry down smells a bit burnt on me though, but good performance.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Guerlain Vetiver, just unimprovable.
What are your thoughts on Vetiver Extreme? I had the standard Vetiver, but swapped it for Vetiver Extreme a few months ago and haven't looked back. The original feels a little bit incomplete. That's not to say that it's bad because it's not bad at all, but I don't see what others see in it. It's basically a very prominent vetiver that highlights its peanutty quality and not much else. Tobacco is a top 5 note for me, but I can't find it in there for the life of me.

Vetiver Extreme is more like the finished product to me. It's quite sharp, green, though less woody than the original. I smell a bit of the anise/licorice, which makes it really interesting. It also has respectable strength, unlike OG which doesn't seem to do much. Awesome scent that's sadly overlooked.

First SOTD was Floris 1962. It wasn't too hot in the morning, and I wanted to see how it would do in warmer weather. Works really nicely actually. I find that 1962 doesn't quite feel right in winter, almost like it's way out of place. I've started to ditch the idea of fragrance seasonality to an extent, but I feel like this one isn't suited for winter at all. The warmth really brings out its brightness and tones down the bitter greenness slightly.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Vetiver Extreme? I had the standard Vetiver, but swapped it for Vetiver Extreme a few months ago and haven't looked back. The original feels a little bit incomplete. That's not to say that it's bad because it's not bad at all, but I don't see what others see in it. It's basically a very prominent vetiver that highlights its peanutty quality and not much else. Tobacco is a top 5 note for me, but I can't find it in there for the life of me.

Vetiver Extreme is more like the finished product to me. It's quite sharp, green, though less woody than the original. I smell a bit of the anise/licorice, which makes it really interesting. It also has respectable strength, unlike OG which doesn't seem to do much. Awesome scent that's sadly overlooked.

First SOTD was Floris 1962. It wasn't too hot in the morning, and I wanted to see how it would do in warmer weather. Works really nicely actually. I find that 1962 doesn't quite feel right in winter, almost like it's way out of place. I've started to ditch the idea of fragrance seasonality to an extent, but I feel like this one isn't suited for winter at all. The warmth really brings out its brightness and tones down the bitter greenness slightly.

Haven't tried Vetiver Extreme, will have to throw it on the list. I do get a decent slug of tobacco in the original, but it is more in the vein of blonde cigarette tobacco, with some ashy character, rather than a rich cigar note. The addition of an anise note seems promising, I love it in Azzaro PH and could see it translating very nicely.

Lapidus Pour Homme for me today. I frankly don't care for the top of this one, the pineapple + florals combo is just too weird and gets almost bubblegummy, but the heart and drydown are wonderful for those with a taste for animalic scents. It isn't as good as vintage Kouros, but for twenty bucks for 100ml it is tough to beat for a glowing civet.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Haven't tried Vetiver Extreme, will have to throw it on the list. I do get a decent slug of tobacco in the original, but it is more in the vein of blonde cigarette tobacco, with some ashy character, rather than a rich cigar note. The addition of an anise note seems promising, I love it in Azzaro PH and could see it translating very nicely.
Hmm, interesting. Do you have the green cap, silver cap, or ribbed bottle version? I recall the silver cap and ribbed bottle versions to be more green and bright as opposed to tobacco-rich. But either way, it was a while back and I seem to be in the minority with regards to the tobacco.

SOTN is Amouage Dia Man. My goodness, today it is special. I never thought much of it when I first got my sample, but I revisited it today and I am absolutely loving it. I'm no religious man, but this smells holy and prophetic. I'm going to miss my sample because I just finished it with this wearing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got my hands on some Dana Tabu. It is kind of awesome. opening is a burst of boozy citrus and it dries down to an oriental, amber, musk, tobacco. Wasn't on my radar at all, but it was mentioned in some book my girlfriend is reading. She has an older Parfum splash and I have a newer edc. Both have quite the sillage.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guerlain Vetiver, just unimprovable.

Entirely agree. Sampled TF Grey Vetiver this weekend. Nice but I'll take the Guerlain any day, especially given the insane pricing of the TF.

Also sampled a vintage EDT Jacques Fath Green Water - meh. Weak and unremarkable. I want to sample the re-formulated Parfum version of Green Water by Cecile Zarokian that Turin gave four stars. Seems like the Fath line is not widely available from US retailers?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rasei Fort's Kolonya today.

Really impressive classic cologne style, with incredible richness built into it. Reportedly, Rasei used a huge number of components, and over half are naturals. Comes in this hand-carved rosewood box, which holds a 60ml old-school splash green bottle. The scent has a consistent heart accord of orris/iris, even though it contains none - but is distinct enough that it fooled Luca Turin in his 5-Star review, who took it to be iris.

The fragrance is so well integrated, its really difficult to pick out any one particular note, and succeeds at Rasei's stated tribute to memories of walking through his grandfather's garden and orchard, with a beautiful synthesis of florals, woods, green leaves, some herbaceousness, with hints of fruits like the black plum which is a listed note on Basenotes. Highly recommended as a impeccably well done, modern take on a cologne.

instasize_200601115447.png

instasize_200601115407.png

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Entirely agree. Sampled TF Grey Vetiver this weekend. Nice but I'll take the Guerlain any day, especially given the insane pricing of the TF.

Also sampled a vintage EDT Jacques Fath Green Water - meh. Weak and unremarkable. I want to sample the re-formulated Parfum version of Green Water by Cecile Zarokian that Turin gave four stars. Seems like the Fath line is not widely available from US retailers?
I used to like very linear Vetiver scents before I smelled more stuff and became a fraghead. I favor well-integration Of Vetiver now. I’d like to smell Geurlain Vetiver, but I fear having “Vetiver” in the name might make it slightly too linear. I have loved every other Geurlain so I’m willing to overlook that and try not to be so biased.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought some Truefitt & Hill 1805 shower gel. It's an incredible scent. Opening it you get hit with this sumo mandarin orange scent. I mean, that's precisely what it is: no variation in tone or intensity--honestly I wanted to sample the soap it was that viscerally close. After a second or two you get a bit more spice and a lot of magnolia-type scents. Definitely a clubby, old-school British feel to everything.

A few minutes after the shower it still lingered on my skin and was a good warm up for Mandarino di Amalfi.

Having smelled and used a lot of Trumper, T&H and only Blenheim Bouquet from Penhalgion's I think:

1. Trumper's are the best pure scents, they are always exactly what the label says. But they fade so fast.
  2. T&H has very good mixes that are enjoyable. All things considered probably my favorite overall
  3. Penhalgion's is probably too expensive for me but the Blenheim Bouquet was probably my favorite specific scent. Kind of what @rach2jlc was saying about scents being journeys: that one really smelled like pouring on British landed gentry old money. There was one hotel I was staying at that had the Blenheim Bouquet as their soap and I will shamelessly admit to always "running out of soap" during my stay and must have brought home 20 ounces of the stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads