• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cire Trudon

I have samples of Trudon's Mortel and Revolution. I like Mortel -- on me, it's mostly just a nice frankincense. fairly linear. i thought about buying it, but it doesn't last all day. i'm particular about longevity. Revolution is pretty good: i was repelled by its opening of herbs and rubbery smoke, but then it settles down to be more of a smoky/woody thing which reminds me of a campfire that has burned out.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Aramis yesterday; vintage Kouros today. Apparently in an animal sort of mood. Unleash the beast!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Antique Jasmin from Rogue today. Juicy Jasmine and an old lady soapy quality. Love it, but nobody beats jasmine like Libertine's Sex & Jasmine. Recently bought a bottle after sampling.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I have samples of Trudon's Mortel and Revolution. I like Mortel -- on me, it's mostly just a nice frankincense. fairly linear. i thought about buying it, but it doesn't last all day. i'm particular about longevity. Revolution is pretty good: i was repelled by its opening of herbs and rubbery smoke, but then it settles down to be more of a smoky/woody thing which reminds me of a campfire that has burned out.

That’s unfortunate to hear about Mortel. I think you recommended Montale Full Incense before is that more persistent? Deux Is the one I’m most interested in. Supposed to be crisp and green which I’ve been enjoying a lot lately. Samples of Chanel-Bel Respiro and Parfum D’Empire-Corsica Furiosa. Stuff like that always smells so modern if not futuristic.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, it’s funny—I make notes about my samples, but I don’t have anything written down about Montale full incense, though yeah I liked it enough to finish the sample of it. Sorry I don’t recall its longevity.

The king for me is still Sultan Pasha’s Pure Incense. Montale Full Incense is a lot like it from what I recall.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broken out in a rash from my 2 recent la curie purchases, faunus and larrea. But only on my neck despite applying elsewhere also. Likely culprit?

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried fragrances from A.N Other? Interested in giving WD/18 a go.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pivoting from several days of hairy-chested stuff (Polo, Kouros, Aramis, etc.) to sort of the opposite pole -- Clinique Aromatics Elixir (vtg bottle, MiUSA). Big floral/patchouli chypre with a bit of leather (though I wouldn't call it a leather fragrance). Lots of rose and jasmine, plus a noticeable and unusual chamomile, with a stout chypre backbone. It's a bit on the femme side, but smells basically similar to Aramis 900 (but turned up to 11 if not 12) so if you can pull that off this won't be trouble so long as applied sparingly. It is *strong* - I put on two sprays and am regretting the second.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. This is only my third or fourth wear of the Aromatics Elixir, and I have to say it takes a pretty sharp masculine turn in the drydown. There's a big sandalwood that I hadn't noticed before - so at this point in the day it's basically sandalwood/patchouli/moss. Part of what makes fragrances so interesting - they reward careful study!

shoewarma

Reaction score
Histoires de Parfums 1899 today. This has a really soft feel, yet it's potent and very aromatic. Not aromatic in an herbal sense, but rather the aura it projects. I find this scent to be versatile, but I think it's better suited for classy occasions.

The kind of mellow, transparent sweetness is one of my favourite things about it. It's almost like a red apple that lacks flavour. Doesn't sound great, but it is. But, the real magic in this is the juniper. Love that note, and it works beautifully with the soft cinnamon.

I don't think the SF crowd would be into it, but it's worth a sniff.

Pivoting from several days of hairy-chested stuff (Polo, Kouros, Aramis, etc.) to sort of the opposite pole -- Clinique Aromatics Elixir (vtg bottle, MiUSA). Big floral/patchouli chypre with a bit of leather (though I wouldn't call it a leather fragrance). Lots of rose and jasmine, plus a noticeable and unusual chamomile, with a stout chypre backbone. It's a bit on the femme side, but smells basically similar to Aramis 900 (but turned up to 11 if not 12) so if you can pull that off this won't be trouble so long as applied sparingly. It is *strong* - I put on two sprays and am regretting the second.

Would you say Aramis 900 is heavy on the civet? I'm not really into civet or animalic scents at all, but I can tolerate it in some compositions. I've been impressed by the fragrances I've smelled from Aramis. Havana is absolutely magnificent. I'm interested in 900 and Devin, but I'd have to blind buy them.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say Aramis 900 is heavy on the civet? I'm not really into civet or animalic scents at all, but I can tolerate it in some compositions. I've been impressed by the fragrances I've smelled from Aramis. Havana is absolutely magnificent. I'm interested in 900 and Devin, but I'd have to blind buy them.

Check if you can find a "Gentleman's Collection" gift box from Aramis on eBay -- they made a lot of them (I would guess as gift-with-purchases) when they relaunched Havana, Devin, JHL, etc. back in the late aughts. It's got 7ml (ish?) minis of all the classics except the eponymous Aramis. I think they are generally available for a decent price. Devin and 900 are both good, though I found them a little lacking in staying power (though others have said the opposite - part of the issue might be that I have them in small 10ml decant sprayers that may not put out a lot of juice compared to the bottle sprayer.)

I don't smell a ton of civet in 900 or Aromatics Elixir, and certainly compared to stuff like Lapidus Pour Homme, Balenciaga Pour Homme, Kouros it might as well not even be there. But as ever YMMV.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is still some civet in the modern 900.

I don't know how strong it was in the vintage version because I'm not interested in buying vintage fragrances. I think to some people it's more apparent than to others. My mother is particularly sensitive to it - I sprayed 900 on once when I was visiting her and she was complaining that it's too strong.

it mixes with the rose and patchouli nicely IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads