• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

shoewarma

Reaction score
Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo is today's first. Got this along with Piper Nigrum yesterday, both of which are vintages. This is such an authentic sandalwood and that's what it's all about. It's a no-fuss, simplistic scent that doesn't try too hard to be something it isn't. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and that's to deliver on the sandalwood. A worthy scent in every sandalwood fan's arsenal.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo is today's first. Got this along with Piper Nigrum yesterday, both of which are vintages. This is such an authentic sandalwood and that's what it's all about. It's a no-fuss, simplistic scent that doesn't try too hard to be something it isn't. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and that's to deliver on the sandalwood. A worthy scent in every sandalwood fan's arsenal.

Wearing the Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver today. Much of the same could be said about this one as a straight up vetiver. Nice green dry opening too.

-DL

shoewarma

Reaction score
Wearing the Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver today. Much of the same could be said about this one as a straight up vetiver. Nice green dry opening too.

-DL
I have a sample of Vetiver, and I thought it was very difficult to handle. It starts off promising with heavy vetiver and tobacco. Very spicy. But, it becomes like a spicy salad type of scent with that strange celery note and what I pick up as a green bell pepper scent. I need more testing of it, but it's really not what I expected and not for me.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Une Rose De Kandahar by Tauer?

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very impressive scent. Big oriental rose with a tobacco, cinnamon and patchouli drydown. Big in both projection and longevity. Not easy to wear though. A bit too sweet for my taste.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very impressive scent. Big oriental rose with a tobacco, cinnamon and patchouli drydown. Big in both projection and longevity. Not easy to wear though. A bit too sweet for my taste.

Thanks for this. Have you sampled any of his other rose scents (think I saw a few)?

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Have you sampled any of his other rose scents (think I saw a few)?

Yes, he has a bunch of rose fragrancies. Apart from Kandahar I have only sampled Rose Chypree which is a more traditional fragrance. I remember it as nice but not very special. The best floral I’ve tried from Tauer is Noontide Petals, which is just lovely. It also has rose but it’s not the star of that scent.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about Tauer I really like L’air des alpes Suisses, one of his latest creations. Described as a woody oriental I was first a little disappointed because it’s more, well, Swiss. Herbs, pine, fir, fresh greens and lilies. Amber in the drydown and possibly tonka. Not as unique as some of his stuff but very pleasant and wearable. Great office scent.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Not a big fan at all. First time I tried it, it dried down to a powder bomb that made me nauseous. I'm wearing it now because your post pushed me to rediscover my sample, and I'm still not a fan. It opens up nicely with the rose and sweet notes, but it's just way too sweet. One of the biggest notes that my nose just can't find is the tobacco, which is hugely disappointing. It's not as bad as the first time when I vowed to never smell it ever again, but it's not for me and remains a colossal mess of a scent. Au Coeur du Désert though is a marvelous perfume.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a sample of vintage Yatagan that I am wearing today. I like it. It immediately reminded me of Papillon's Anubis and to a lesser extent Berceuse's Allegreto. I am kind of surprised it is polarizing. Maybe to the generic designer perfume world, but I was expecting more stank from this. I just get woody and green. What's not to like? Actually along with this sample I also got vintage Coty Chypre in a very small vial. Yesterday to get an initial impression I swabbed my left hand with the Coty and sprayed the Yatagn about 3 times on the back of my right hand. The little swabbing of the Coty overwhelmed the Yatagan at an arms length while on my computer. Couldn't smell the Yatagan at all unless I stuck my nose to my hand.

On the Coty, immediately after swabbing it reminded me of Mitsouko, which was unsurprising considering Mitsouko was the response to the Coty. On the dry down I get Rogue's Chypre-Siam, which was also unsurprising considering Manuel Cross modeled it after the Coty. All in all, it is an awesome Chypre, but not worth the high price of a vintage bottle, when you can get reaonsably priced vintage Mitsouko and great modern Chypres.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I got a sample of vintage Yatagan that I am wearing today. I like it. It immediately reminded me of Papillon's Anubis and to a lesser extent Berceuse's Allegreto. I am kind of surprised it is polarizing. Maybe to the generic designer perfume world, but I was expecting more stank from this. I just get woody and green. What's not to like? Actually along with this sample I also got vintage Coty Chypre in a very small vial. Yesterday to get an initial impression I swabbed my left hand with the Coty and sprayed the Yatagn about 3 times on the back of my right hand. The little swabbing of the Coty overwhelmed the Yatagan at an arms length while on my computer. Couldn't smell the Yatagan at all unless I stuck my nose to my hand.
It's really not that unfriendly of a scent. Yeah, it's old fashioned and does have sour and bitter animalic qualities, but it's not vulgar whatsoever. It's undeserved reputation is simply a result of nonsense spread online by people.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean Turin loves it, but I don't always agree with him. I don't get animalic at all. Just wood and green. It is nice, but there are other great similar modern scents. Then again vintage it is still cheaper than the modern similar ones.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Yeah, there are even many other classic and vintage scents I'd go for instead of Yatagan. It just isn't my taste or style at all, but I appreciate it.

Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum today. It's such a weird scent, but it has some familiar nuances. It's suggestive of the Italians' use of herbs and citrus in fragrances, but the overall blend is a strange medicinal aroma that somehow manages to become very wearable. I really enjoy it, but I'm disappointed with its lack of black pepper. I can tell this is going to be fun to dissect, but I'm really excited to wearing it in the summer when we can finally go out again.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean Turin loves it, but I don't always agree with him. I don't get animalic at all. Just wood and green. It is nice, but there are other great similar modern scents. Then again vintage it is still cheaper than the modern similar ones.

I just think the fact that it's very castoreum-forward makes it seem a bit...aggressive by modern standards. That's just not really the direction most men's fragrances go these days. But I don't find it unpleasant or unwearable at all. It just comes across as a bit of a throwback. I definitely think a lot of the online reviews way overstate its animalic properties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics