• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I checked out a shop called Fueguia a few days ago. Amazing presentation and a wall of guitars on display, which were the owners (who lives in Milan). The SA was a cool lady. There were so many fragrances that it was a bit overwhelming to get a sense of a lot of them. Many of them, while nice, only have about 3 notes in them, one which dominates and the others that will vary slightly. That said there are large categories of scents, with slight variations. A lot of them nice, but I can't help but feel you can achieve a similar outcome by just wearing an essential oil of one of their base notes. I got a couple of samples, but I do feel they are somewhat one dimensional.

I went to Frederic Malle down the street and it couldn't have been a more opposite experience. Very curated, and to me their fragrances have more depth to them and are a bit more elegant. I like French Lover a lot, but it just makes me think of @TheFoo and I can't shake that. I enjoyed vetiver extraordinare, une fleur de cassie, and portrait of a lady very much. I am still in a new space with fragrance, where I enjoy so many smells, but I just don't know what I want to actually wear. I just love the depth of my Mitsouko so much, it is hard to break away from.

Question: where do you guys apply your fragrance? I usually spray it on my chest before putting on my undershirt then dress shirt. That said it stays pretty close to me and people haven't commented on my newly wearing fragrance. Maybe this is a good thing?

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically do one spray on my wrist and one spray on my neck. But it depends a bit on the fragrance and the setting. One spray is probably better for the office. Chest is good if you want to be subtle, too.

Been working my way back through some samples. Last night was MFK Oud Satin Mood extrait. That stuff is so good, but I'm having a hard time justifying dropping 275 euros on a bottle.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: where do you guys apply your fragrance? I usually spray it on my chest before putting on my undershirt then dress shirt. That said it stays pretty close to me and people haven't commented on my newly wearing fragrance. Maybe this is a good thing?

This is what I do except I don't where an undershirt. Yes it's a good thing.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out a shop called Fueguia a few days ago. Amazing presentation and a wall of guitars on display, which were the owners (who lives in Milan). The SA was a cool lady. There were so many fragrances that it was a bit overwhelming to get a sense of a lot of them. Many of them, while nice, only have about 3 notes in them, one which dominates and the others that will vary slightly. That said there are large categories of scents, with slight variations. A lot of them nice, but I can't help but feel you can achieve a similar outcome by just wearing an essential oil of one of their base notes. I got a couple of samples, but I do feel they are somewhat one dimensional.

I actually really like Fueguia 1883. Pampa Humeda is one of my favorite green scents & seems utterly unique to me. My primary gripe with the line is availability: Luckyscent stocks roughly half a dozen fragrances, but give nthat they have close to 100 in their line, it's next to impossible to sample them if you're not in one of the three cities where they have stores. I emailed them several years ago asking about purchasing samples, but never heard back.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try calling them and asking. Just to note, they don't do samples of all of their fragrances. Their absurdly priced ones which include pheromones :rolleyes2: they won't give you a sample of. I did like a fair number of their green ones, but I kind of feel again like the variations within "green" is what you get. I am wearing their tierra del fuego right now that I got a sample of. I wore it yesterday as well. To me it isn't all that different from buying clove essential oil from wholefoods and dabbing it on. It is $300.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use six sprays: two at the collarbone at the base of the neck, and two each at the inside of each bicep. This creates a nice scent bubble that does not overwhelm other people with whom I come into contact. If you think six sprays is a lot, check out the Basenotes thread entitled "Oversprayers Club," or something along those lines. There are guys who use double-digit number of sprays. :cloud:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You sound like you may be a very stinky individual. I would hate you if you showed up to a wine tasting.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just spent a bunch of money on samples at Lucky Scent. Any thoughts of any of these?

1583258987234.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't smelled any of those except for Lampblack, which was way too out there for me. I like his scent Feu Secret, however, and have a bottle. IMO, a good summer fragrance without being the usual citrus/ aquatic mix.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Lampblack. It reminds me a bit of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, but is a lot more interesting. I've wanted to buy a full bottle, but it is excluded from Twisted Lily's sales. :(

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of the Bruno Fazzolaris I tried impressed me, but I'll have to try Lampblack again since I don't remember it well. I think I found it off-putting. There's a high bar for anything that's $125/30ml, especially if it's vetiver-centric.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today I am wearing another Fueguia sample. I am not sure which one because I can't read the writing that smudged. All I can make out is "coco" at the end. I do remember it is musky and has a strong animal scent to it. It really reminds me of getting a new boar bristle shaving brush. So basically I smell like a rodent in the best possible way today.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Side note, I love Lucky Scent's selection, but I hate how they label their samples .

Twisted Lily does it right. They use a thicker paper for the sticker sheet that goes onto their sample vials. This way, you can easily peel it off and re-apply it to atomizers. Those sample vials are basically useless without an atomizer spray. But then if you dump the fragrance into an atomizer spray, you need some way to keep track of samples.

Love Lucky Scent's selection, but their paper stock drives me mad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics