• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was really the S&M cafe, but hey whatever works!

I like the idea of birch tar with coffee though.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of birch, I got a pretty over the top endorsement of Patchouli 24 last week, so I decided to order a decant of it. I do really like it, but the opening seems pretty aggressive to me. I barely get any patchouli out of it, so it's very oddly named.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Le Labo's scents are known for not smelling like the note in their names, I believe. I think of Patchouli 24 as a smoky barbecue thing, and I love it

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Labo's scents are known for not smelling like the note in their names, I believe. I think of Patchouli 24 as a smoky barbecue thing, and I love it

Apt description. Smoky overtone with a sweet (vanilla?) undertone. I've only tried Patchouli 24 and Santal 33 from the house, but I guess I should try out some more.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Patchouli 24 is my favorite in the Le Labo line and the only one I ended up buying as a full bottle. Agree the opening is a bit aggressive. The scent feels like you're pouring peaty Scotch on yourself. But it's great when you're in the mood for that birch tar scent.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apt description. Smoky overtone with a sweet (vanilla?) undertone. I've only tried Patchouli 24 and Santal 33 from the house, but I guess I should try out some more.

I really like the burnt sage note in the Vetiver 46 which has an incense quality to it. It dries down nicely too a warm patchouli and vetiver.

-DL

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want a more toned-down version of Patchouli 24, you should try Tauer (if you haven't already). Andy Tauer, the perfumer behind the company, makes scents that have a certain theme -- they're often dry and smokey. They feel masculine, but not in that bombastic 1980s way.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is probably his most famous scent. Luca Turin wore it at his wedding. The scent is supposed to evoke the feeling of a dry desert. I also like Lonestar Memories, which reminds me of smoked beef jerky.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bvlgari Black is the designer version of Patchouli 24. Both were created by Annick Menardo. I imagine Le Labo telling Menardo, "Make something that smells kind of like Black, but don't worry about having it appeal to a mainstream audience."

Nikos

Reaction score
I had the chance to try Bois du Portugal today, and it smells exactly as you would expect based on its looks: a masculine, soapy fragrance, with strong citrus and wood notes. Classic cologne, definitely not a fragrance for younger men.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear @bamgrinus yeah patchouli 24 has that vanilla note too. Gonna wear it tomorrow!

tauer’s LADDM and Au Coeur du Desert are another two of my favs. Never tried to A/B either of them w P24 but I oughta.

karmaguy

Reaction score
If you want a more toned-down version of Patchouli 24, you should try Tauer (if you haven't already). Andy Tauer, the perfumer behind the company, makes scents that have a certain theme -- they're often dry and smokey. They feel masculine, but not in that bombastic 1980s way.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is probably his most famous scent. Luca Turin wore it at his wedding. The scent is supposed to evoke the feeling of a dry desert. I also like Lonestar Memories, which reminds me of smoked beef jerky.

As someone who grew up on a ranch in the middle of AZ, lonestar memories smells a lot like life from ages 0-15. I love LADM but lonestar memories just hits certain random pieces of my experienced life and I love it for that.

Tauer in general is probably my go-to perfumer (other than whoever Malle is trusting).

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who grew up on a ranch in the middle of AZ, lonestar memories smells a lot like life from ages 0-15. I love LADM but lonestar memories just hits certain random pieces of my experienced life and I love it for that.

Tauer in general is probably my go-to perfumer (other than whoever Malle is trusting).
Lone star memories is a masterpiece, I thought of Texas walker ranger immediately when I wore it. I think the flankers of lonesome rider and au coeur du desert for LSM and LADDM are quite decent but may be great perfumes on their own if not for the heights achieved by LSM and LADDM

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FM Rose & Cuir - I smell the rose more than the leather and not too feminine. Great longevity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads