• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the only Bond No. 9 I've tried was Chez Bond, which is straight rip-off of Green Irish Tweed. If I've tried others I've forgotten them.

Nikos

Reaction score
I recently tried Bond's Bleecker Street. It was a big let down. The smell was generic, reminding me of some kind of shampoo or something similar, and it made me nauseous. Certainly not what I was expecting.
I also have a sample of Scent of Peace for Him but have yet to try it. I hope this one is better.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Bond No. 9 bottles are so tacky and cheap looking, they might as well be used as drinking glasses at your local greasy strip club. I can imagine their scents even smell like one too. Never understood the hype and praise they get when everything comes across as a sweet, cloying, synthetic mess.

On a more positive note, I have on my hand some Arquiste Nanban. What a beauty. So much complexity and evolution from the get-go. There are lots of notes that can come across as harsh, but the blend is anything but. The leather is slightly smoky, and the duo of myrrh and coffee make for an incredibly rich, though not dense experience. Never a bore to smell. Absolutely full bottle worthy. I'm kicking myself for not getting it when I had the chance.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I rather like, and own, New Haarlem. It smells like pancakes and coffee, so best used on the weekend.

I also like New Haarlem, although find I reach for other coffee/ breakfast scents more. And New Haarlem, for me, is a bit easier to wear around the holiday season, whereas other coffee frags, for whatever reason, feel good three seasons out of the year.

Don't mind the bottles, personally, but agree they're not "sophisticated" looking.

Also, gotta rep Bond No. 9 cause of 2 Chainz.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new haarlem is way too sweet.

so many terrible bottles and logos in fragrance, I don't care how good Bois De Portugal smells I'm not putting that ******* bottle in my bathroom.

in other news that Narciso Rodriguez one with the grey bottle smells and looks kinda nice too. I could probably keep that in my bathroom if I wasn't wearing Antaeus every day.

Maybe I will get it for summer or something.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a few samples from Perfumed Court recently and have really enjoyed Laboratorio Olfattivo Kashnoir. It has a very old school feel to me, but the dry back is super seductive. Like it smells better the next day on my jacket. I can't quite figure it out, but I like it. Their copywriting is good, though.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where do you guys keep your fragrances? I don't want to start collecting them in my bathroom because it gets hot in there and it stays a bit more humid due to the water sources. I hear sunlight can ruin fragrances also.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Where do you guys keep your fragrances? I don't want to start collecting them in my bathroom because it gets hot in there and it stays a bit more humid due to the water sources. I hear sunlight can ruin fragrances also.
I keep them in their boxes in a cupboard with glass doors. Not the most esthetically pleasing, but I've never had a fragrance go bad on me. I do wish the cupboard was completely opaque so that I can look at my bottles displayed without their boxes. And yes, sunlight will ruin your perfumes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep my fragrances on a shelf in my bedroom closet, which is dark when closed.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My bedroom gets bright, that's my concern.

Mine gets a decent amount of sunlight. I have some bottles that I originally bought in the 90s. I can't say exactly how they've been stored in the last 30 years, but I've never been too precious or concerned about where I put bottles. I wouldn't leave them on the dashboard of a hot car, obviously, but around the house, I've never cared or paid attention. I'm sure the scent has changed a little over the years, but none I would categorize as bad.

The only fragrances I've had that have gone bad are bottles or samples that sit for too long with a high air/ perfume ratio. The more air that's in the bottle or sample, and the longer it sits like that, the more the scent changes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads