• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nikos

Reaction score
If you’re in the states ever, Costco reliably has aventus for around 200-225 usually for 100ml. Still quite a bit of $$ but less than 300 euros for sure

Thanks. Yeah, I do have friends in the States. Actually, I believe my only Aventus was bought in the States a few years ago.
However, I did try it recently in a local store and it felt very different to how I remember it. So different in fact I thought their bottle might have gone bad.

karmaguy

Reaction score
Today I’m wearing dans tes bras and I’m surprised how much I like it ? It’s a cozy violet scent that also reminds me of that clean feeling you get after a great bath/shower. Might buy a full bottle

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Today I’m wearing dans tes bras and I’m surprised how much I like it ? It’s a cozy violet scent that also reminds me of that clean feeling you get after a great bath/shower. Might buy a full bottle

would like to try that. Recently got to try Dries Van Noten which I did not expect to have a strong pissy jasmine note, and En Passant which reminded me of girls in high school with its watery cucumber floral notes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Some of us old school fragrance weirdos pay extra for that pissy jasmine note! If you can sprinkle some pissy hay on top of it and some lavender-ish babyshit... there we go.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was on a coffee fragrance kick about two years ago. I think Follow by Kerosene may be it. If it's not it, it's at least a must-try for anyone interested in coffee scents. I think I read some fragrance reviewer describe it as diner coffee -- a bit cheap, but weirdly comforting. Notes include coffee beans (dark roast), vanilla (and lots of it), benzoin, maple sap (just a touch), and amber (dry down). Absolutely terrific.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one has grown on me; I used to HATE it... because it felt like such a boring, "safe" option for far too much $$$. I still don't think it's worth the price, given its overall character, but it still is a very nice, very classy, easy wearing scent for daytime.

I like a vetiver that sticks closer to its roots... which is not soft and sweet. "Real" vetiver scents are really quite sharp, dry, and green. For a "friendly" Vetiver scent, I'd prefer Guerlain's version compared to the premium price for the creed.

Vetiver Extreme by Malle is still the best in the industry; at retail is's cheaper than the Creed and I'd encourage anybody to try it who wants to explore the reality of this fragrance note. Definitely wear it on the skin; on a card it doesn't work.

Caron PuH for me today. Bad weather in the Midwest and this soft, barbershop lavender is just perfect.
FM’s vetiver extraordinaire is amazing. I haven’t tried the vetiver extreme of guerlain

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was on a coffee fragrance kick about two years ago. I think Follow by Kerosene may be it. If it's not it, it's at least a must-try for anyone interested in coffee scents. I think I read some fragrance reviewer describe it as diner coffee -- a bit cheap, but weirdly comforting. Notes include coffee beans (dark roast), vanilla (and lots of it), benzoin, maple sap (just a touch), and amber (dry down). Absolutely terrific.

It's been years since I had a bottle, but I remember liking the coffee-ish vibe of Bond no 9 New Haarlem. It's nose was Maurice Roucel, who does perhaps the best rich, soft gourmands in the industry.

I think I'll do L'aP Voleur de roses today. It's been out for years and years, and while it's not incredibly complex, it's still extremely satisfying. It's one of those that doesn't really intrigue your intellect, but just makes you keep sniffing.

karmaguy

Reaction score
sampled creed's silver mountain water. at first it just reminded me of that blend of alcohol smells i'd get opening a magazine with a bunch of perfume samples slid in. pretty quickly it settled into a nice, clean, green scent that is a bit boring, but ~nice~, perfect for those with more buttoned down office jobs maybe? aventus is still my fav creed scent i guess

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sampled creed's silver mountain water. at first it just reminded me of that blend of alcohol smells i'd get opening a magazine with a bunch of perfume samples slid in. pretty quickly it settled into a nice, clean, green scent that is a bit boring, but ~nice~, perfect for those with more buttoned down office jobs maybe? aventus is still my fav creed scent i guess

I always like SMW, though I agree that it's not particularly exciting or fun. For one of their more mainstream offerings, I think it's quite good. I'd wear it on your skin a few times to see how it develops. I think it is much more subtle than Aventus.

SOTD today is Shalimar vintage parfum. If you can get over remembering this is what your grandmother wore, I encourage a wearing in cooler weather. Of course the Parfum is the best, but even the EdT or EdC are wonderful. Take off the label and it easily could be any of Tom Ford's unisex Private Blends.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys! happy new year. This week I rediscovered the CdG Incenses. I've been wearing a sample of Ouarzazate this week. Love its soft and smoky vibe. I really like Buxton's stuff.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Ouarzazate, but it's just too fleeting.

Have you guys tried Kolonya by Rasai Forte? I recently got a bottle of it and love it.

Nikos

Reaction score
Never heard of this one bit it seems interesting.

I would also like to know if anyone has tried Heeley Sel Marin because I do not have easy access to a sample and would hate to blind buy and fail again (after Mancera Cedrat Boise that is).

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Ouarzazate, but it's just too fleeting.

Have you guys tried Kolonya by Rasai Forte? I recently got a bottle of it and love it.

Peter from Fragrance View has a good review of Kolonya. Rasei Fort is the maker behind Fort & Manle.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In these waning days of cooler weather (here in California) I've been wearing Black Spruce by the somewhat under the radar, all-natural perfumer, Teone Reinthal Natural Perfumes from Australia. Absolutely amazing coniferous/deep and woody, earthiness from patchouli and vetiver, labdanum and Vietnamese oud.

I love woody fragrances and after being profoundly underwhelmed after trying Profumum Roma's Arso, I've been looking for something with much greater richness, complexity, and depth. Black Spruce is all that, and so much more. Good projection and great longevity for an all-natural perfume.

On the subject of coniferous fragrances, this is a pretty cool Guide to Coniferous Fragrances that was put together by the fellow behind Enchante Fragrance.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm going to do TF Grey Vetiver today. This one has grown on me, not because I didn't like it on first sniff, but only because it felt so familiar at its core.

It's not a copy of Guerlain, Givenchy, et. al, but it's definitely in their DNA. As well, given that the reformulation of Guerlain Vetiver is almost universally accepted as inferior to the original, I think the TF sort of renews its spirit (a full on vetiver without too much softening).

I got a bottle very reasonably, so I like it for that. I'd never spend $180 for it, but for a classic "gentleman's" scent good for office/work wear, it's quite nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads