1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

I like to get "you smell good" from my GF. While I do have some personal tastes in fragrances, it is her response that would drive me to a favorite.

Historically, is there a fragrance that draws that response from females?

Cheers,

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

According to Brad Pitt, it's Chanel N°5.

1 person likes this.
  3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: Avignon. Of course it's an incense scent, but it's also remarkably sweet with a nice, round amber base.
    SOTD: Oud (Maison Francis Kurkdjian). This is the lightest, most office-friendly oud I know of. It's a bit citrusy and sweet, but it's definitely true to its name. This is odd to say for an oud scent, but I really wish it had better projection and longevity.

4. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Tonight: HdP 1725. A creamy, sweetish blend of lavender, anise and almonds, with a citrus top. I love it.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Depends on what sort of response you are looking for. I quite frequently elicit fits of coughing or other instant expressions of disgust from my wife, but you may be seeking something different.

The BNers will tell you Aventus and some youtube blogger will probably tell you Le Male or Musc Ravageur. I assume you only wish to elicit the approval of one particular female, so I would suggest asking her.

1 person likes this.
  6. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

In my opinion....

For the daytime - Creed Aventus

For the evening - Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Of the good amount of frags that I have full bottles of...these two, in my opinion, get the most comments from women i know and random women, in general.

On a side note...I enjoy them both very much...especially NdN...it is probably my favorite evening frag

SOTD - Aventus
    SOTE - Straight to Heaven
    I kept it light and fun today...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. L'Incandescent

I bet y'alls cuckoo birds can't guess what my SOTE is it is L'Homme Infini by Divine. It's a modern masculine that's nonetheless classic. Warm and spicy woods with a slightly sweet ambery base. Longevity definitely leaves something to be desired, unfortunately.

8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Citrusy?? That's odd. For me, it is predominantly warm saffron.

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Farmacia SS. Annunziata - Isos. Woods & vetiver, pepper, juniper and other spices. It's good.

10. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

PCK1 Thanks.. I'll try a sample.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

So I've sprayed Black Aoud on myself last night again and wore the same sleep shirt that I used while wearing the same fragrance - it now has two doses of Black Aoud and I woke up smelling like an A-rab, dripping with jools.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Huitieme Art - Ambre Ceruleen: boozy really talcy amber, that vanilla kind of amber. I'm getting a real talcum powder vision here. Hints of plastic and camphor. I'd say this is a very nice, well done, more or less simple amber accord with a few supporting notes. It's well done, pretty straightforward, but certainly not unusual. Reminds me of L'Artisan's Ambre or MPG Ambre Precieux, any bunch of others. Ambre Sultan has that green herbal side, Amber Absolute has the spices, Ambre Nuit has the leather, even say Lubin Idole has the resins, etc, and this one is just one solid accord. If you like 'em simple and well made with nothing out of place, this is worth a shot, for me I'd say it's a good start but just missing that je ne sais quoi. I suppose it's warm, cozy, soft, and sweet. My girlfriend might like it though. Yeah, would have made a nice base for something but just didn't take it that step further. Needs an "angle"...

CB I Hate Perfume - Greenbriar 1986: Salty, green, fresh wet dirt. Common CB base accord. there's a weird warm sort of layer on top of the green wet dirt base. certainly an aroma rather than a perfume. Slightly sweet and synthetic, and as one one person wrote it's 'clean' without being clean, sort of like the ground after a rainstorm. Yeah it's meh, got a tester bottle for cheap but I think I'll wear it a few times and then sell it off. pass.

Michael Kors For Men: Sweet stewed fruits and a shrill tobacco accord. Reminds me of The Dreamer mixed with Boss Bottled/#6. I love the idea, tobacco and leather and dried fruits, sort of like say Ford Extreme, but there's this shrill synthetic edge that makes me grimace every time. I just can't decide if it's bad enough to kill the scent but I've smelled this sample for years and always been tempted to buy a bottle. Honestly, I know it's sort of 'designer' but really a pretty solid decent above generic fragrance. It doesn't stand up to niche stuff, but if you're an average guy or enjoy cheapies, and like those notes, it's really not a bad release. Ford Extreme 50ml for $150 or 75ml of Kors for ? $50?. I have a hunch I'll end up with a bottle of this. It's certainly easy to wear and like. Don't seek out a sample, but if you see it in a dept store, it's worth a sniff.

John Varvatos - Vintage: I'm testing this along with Kors because I remember both of them being sort of fruity leather/tobacco scents and originally was choosing between them. The Varvatos line (just the original, vintage and artisan) I have mixed feelings. The bottles are nice, the scents are very pleasant, and they're cheap enough online, but they just don't last worth a damn and it's frustrating. Really decent mass market scents but just no longevity. The mandarin+ginger combo in Artisan plus really cool bottle have had it on my to buy list for years. OK on to the Vintage review. Oh wow that's sweet. Really syrupy sweet fruit and none of the spicey dry tobacco of Kors. This has a light leather under that I think will come through in the next few minutes. Hmmm, well basically similiar to the Kors in the sense that it's a pleasant generic not very long lasting scent. Smells like a 30-50 year old slightly tough guy type scent. Easy to wear and inoffensive. Again, decent cheapie but probably a pass. If you're at the airport or dept store passing through and want spritze it's worth a stop but probably not FB worthy if you've ever smelled something niche.

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I remember this one, used to wear it a few years back and thought it was very nice but in general I don't wear those heavy boozy scents that often. I don't really get the sentiment about niche though. I've probably said this before but in a truly blind sampling, you think you could separate niche from designer scents if you weren't already familiar with any of them? A lot of the same noses make both styles, often times the designer scents have bigger budgets. If anything, I think there are a lot of untalented amateurs working in the niche market, and those scents often have no real structure. I love many niche scents but I don't find the distinction between mainstream and niche to be every instructive in terms of how something smells.

1 person likes this.
  14. L'Incandescent

I don't want to overstate how citrusy I think it is, but I'm fairly sure one of the notes has a citrusy facet.

Pre-shower: M7.
    SOTD: Eau de Magnolia. As I've mentioned before, this is fantastic. Definitely lives up to all the hype.

15. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

SOTE: Polo Double Black

16. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Tonight, La Via del Profumo Chilum:
    Dry, green, slightly bitter tobacco leaf sharpened by ginger. All resting on a salty, slightly animallic sandalwood base.Charred wood and ash notes abound. Wow this is good, but not exactly a summer scent. Come back in 3 months.

17. L'Incandescent

Stilettos on Lex. This is one of my very favorites. It opens with pear. It develops into a musky, powdery floral, with rose in the lead. There's also violet leaf, which is a note I normally dislike, but it's blended perfectly here. As it dries down, it becomes more vanilla sweet.

18. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

I thought I used a liberal amount, but it seemed to quickly lose its impact.

Is that normal?

Cheers,

19. L'Incandescent

Polo Double Black has very poor longevity; it's not just you.

20. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Thanks,

What would be similar, but with longevity?

Cheers